OT: Insanity Workout | The Boneyard

OT: Insanity Workout

Status
Not open for further replies.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
So has anyone done this? I'm starting it on Monday with some co-workers. The first thing they have you do do is the "fit test" so you can gauge your progress. I just watched the 25 minute fit test. I ONLY WATCHED IT and nearly passed out. Can't even imagine what comes next...WTF have I gotten myself into?? Holy crap!!!

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
I got some friends on week 3... I said no thanks

Reaction Score
My kids do it, think it's easier for kids. Now they have new ones, Insanity for athletes, a cardio version both supposed to be tougher. Dolson credits Insanity for her body transformation, hope it didn't contribute to the stress fracture. I figured if it's good enough for her then....

My advice stick with it but do as much as you can, if you notice a lot of the background people take breaks or modify the exercises.

Reaction Score
I for one think it did contribute to Dolson's injury. It's like cramming 6 months of workout into one month's time. Your body can only absorb so much. You want to lose weight? Get on a treadmill. Do it daily. Watch what you eat (some stomach exercises won't hurt, either.) Insanity is a gimmick. It's made to make money. Duh.

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
So has anyone done this? I'm starting it on Monday with some co-workers. The first thing they have you do do is the "fit test" so you can gauge your progress. I just watched the 25 minute fit test. I ONLY WATCHED IT and nearly passed out. Can't even imagine what comes next...WTF have I gotten myself into?? Holy crap!!!
Good luck, Dude!

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Good luck, Dude!
Thanks! I really mentioned it tongue-in-cheek, and obviously as a guy coming up on 50, I won't be approaching it the same way a 20 or 30 year old would. Still... gonna be a hoot!!

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score
I for one think it did contribute to Dolson's injury. It's like cramming 6 months of workout into one month's time. Your body can only absorb so much. You want to lose weight? Get on a treadmill. Do it daily. Watch what you eat (some stomach exercises won't hurt, either.) Insanity is a gimmick. It's made to make money. Duh.

Weight loss and the results from a workout regimen like the Insanity are two different things for most people. Sure you'll lose weight by doing the treadmill and eating right. And people on Insanity drop pounds--and definitely body fat--as well. Insanity does much more to transform the body, however. It should since its very high intensity. I have my doubts about anyone trying to jump into this workout with both feet if they're not either A) youngish or B) in fairly good condition already. It's a lot of work!

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Weight loss and the results from a workout regimen like the Insanity are two different things for most people. Sure you'll lose weight by doing the treadmill and eating right. And people on Insanity drop pounds--and definitely body fat--as well. Insanity does much more to transform the body, however. It should since its very high intensity. I have my doubts about anyone trying to jump into this workout with both feet if they're not either A) youngish or B) in fairly good condition already. It's a lot of work!
People doing Insanity often drop more inches than pounds. Muscle is more compact but heavier than fat.

sarals24

Lone Starlet
Reaction Score
I don't think Dolson would have done anything without the blessing of the UConn staff. Her stress fracture is a normal injury as the result of a tough (and long) season without any breaks (She played summer basketball the year before, didn't she?)

Insanity workouts aren't that different from other high intensity cardio/weight programs.

Reaction Score
I have only successfully completed half of the program a few different times but I enjoy it a lot. I am 28. It's tough to fit into the schedule as there is only 2 off days a week. But if you have the time, It's an amazing cardio workout. Your quads especially and your lower body are going to burn like hell everyday for the first 2 to 3 weeks but you start to become numb to it and the results are big time. Go at your own pace for sure and only do what you can if you are not in decent shape. But anything is better than nothing.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
I have only successfully completed half of the program a few different times but I enjoy it a lot. I am 28. It's tough to fit into the schedule as there is only 2 off days a week. But if you have the time, It's an amazing cardio workout. Your quads especially and your lower body are going to burn like hell everyday for the first 2 to 3 weeks but you start to become numb to it and the results are big time. Go at your own pace for sure and only do what you can if you are not in decent shape. But anything is better than nothing.
The people I've known that have done it (or attempted it) do as much as they can, or the best they can at it. But they've all thought it was great. Most were in their 30's/40's.

Have a go eric. Can't hurt.....well actually it will probably hurt a lot. ;)

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
OK so I obviously won't be giving a daily update but today was the first one. The Fit Test. 30 minutes of hell. 8 or so exercises and you have to see how many you can do in a minute. One exercise was plank pushups (pushups combined with jumping jacks - you jump your legs apart while doing the push-up). I did one. Then I managed 15 girl pushups in the last 45 seconds. But hey, I've not exercised at all except for tennis for at least 6 years so I have to start somewhere...

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
OK so I obviously won't be giving a daily update but today was the first one. The Fit Test. 30 minutes of hell. 8 or so exercises and you have to see how many you can do in a minute. One exercise was plank pushups (pushups combined with jumping jacks - you jump your legs apart while doing the push-up). I did one. Then I managed 15 girl pushups in the last 45 seconds. But hey, I've not exercised at all except for tennis for at least 6 years so I have to start somewhere...
By the end you'll be He-man, Master of the Universe. Good luck and as my wife says every time I do something, "don't kill yourself".

MilfordHusky

Voice of Reason
Reaction Score
I'm not expecting daily updates, because you'll be unable to type after day 3. :)

Seriously, listen to your body. If it tells you to back off, at least think about it. Go for it, but be smart and safe at the same time. You are much older than Kelly Faris.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
My ex-wife never told me that. :)
We had a very large cake for my daughter's birthday the other day. I told her to take some home to her mother (my ex).........she's diabetic. ;)

Blakeon18

Dormie
Reaction Score
Eric...I love this!! Keep us up to date.

Given your obvious UConn credentials I think you have a moral if not legal obligation to follow Stef's lead and jump out out of a plane sometime this summer....chute optional.

~*Jen*~

Mommy to the Mini Mojo Keeper
Reaction Score
Nope, never tried it. Although after two years of being addicted to Zumba and getting NO results from it, I'm ready to focus on strength training instead. I've been following Mama Gone Strong on Facebook and in the same amount of time I've been doing Zumba, she's been in the weight room and she lost 60lbs. :eek:

I guess it depends on what your goal is but I'm realizing now that I have to give up my addiction since crazy amounts of cardio just aren't a good substitute for strength training when it comes to building and toning muscle, which helps with burning fat.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Eric...I love this!! Keep us up to date.

Given your obvious UConn credentials I think you have a moral if not legal obligation to follow Stef's lead and jump out out of a plane sometime this summer....chute optional.
LOL. I can tell you that sky diving is on my bucket list, even tho i'm terrified of heights. But i swear someday i'll do it. I will certainly keep you posted every once in a while. my biggest goal is to lose weight, eat healthier, and be more fit in general.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
LOL. I can tell you that sky diving is on my bucket list, even tho i'm terrified of heights. But i swear someday i'll do it. I will certainly keep you posted every once in a while. my biggest goal is to lose weight, eat healthier, and be more fit in general.
You still alive??? :cool:

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
You still alive??? :cool:
So far. today was day 2. I actually did pretty well until they did this one exercise - slap your hands on the floor, jump up (like you are shooting a basket), then jump down into push-up position on the floor. Then do 4 pushups, then keeping in that position, jump your feet under your chest, then back out to pushup position, then jump your feet side to side. All this is done on the floor supporting your upper body like you are doing a push up. That kinda killed me a bit. Oh, and keep doing them for 2 minutes, and we had to do 3 sets of those.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom