Innocent question: How would this team look under Calhoun? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Innocent question: How would this team look under Calhoun?

Reaction Score
First and foremost, really like what Hurley is doing and in no way at all is this post meant as an indictment of him. We fans have our guy IMO. Simply curious, how do you think Calhoun would approach this team, and in what ways would they look different on the court and starting lineup/substitutions? I'd imagine he'd also have these guys at 10-0 with a similar ranking.

(And please, just asking about Calhoun.)
Really...this is what u r thinking about..?

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
What I really want to know is how would the 1998-1999 team have looked if Red Auerbach was the coach.

Reaction Score
I don’t think there would be much difference other than a whole lot more screaming and quick hooks of the guards until they get it through their head he doesn’t want turn overs. But, it would be the same

Reaction Score
Who cares? How we would do under Burr Carlson is what I want to know.
With these players, they would not have a 5-19 record even with him as the coach.

Though, he did not have by a mile, anything close to the players on this team.

pj

Reaction Score
Calhoun must be admiring the job Hurley is doing with this team. Happy days for him to see the program well settled.

Reaction Score
Calhoun must be admiring the job Hurley is doing with this team. Happy days for him to see the program well settled.
That was my initial thought that then led me to think, how would he do with this team? I think through 10 games, the results would be the same, but how he would arrive at 10-0, as others have said, would look different.

Reaction Score
I could see JC, with this team, at the ending moment of the championship game lifting both arms jumping for joy, and a second later composing himself to shake hands with the losing coach

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
I could see Hawkins' confidence crushed with how delicate mentally he seemed last year. Especially final-stage crusty Calhoun
I disagree here. Still think he was crushed because Hurley didn’t give him any rope.

While Calhoun had a quick hook, it was so he can have a teaching moment. Not because he didn’t trust you. He’d get you back in the game and it’s why his hooks worked so well.

Think Hurley is doing a much better job of letting guys play through mistakes this year. Hawkins makes some of the same mistakes he did last year still while playing better defense but is allowed to play through them now.

Reaction Score
I thought the problem was that Hurley was too much a player’s coach and didn’t pull guys or get on them when they messed up? And then he had too quick of a hook? Have some of you ever considered that you already have what your end belief is, facts be darned, and then you throw out any old piece of info, right or wrong, that makes it fit?

Jordan has improved his ability to have a shorter memory. You mess up? It’s over, move on and don’t let it impact the next play.

And, to answer the question, I imagine he would have them at 14-0 after 10 games.

Last edited:

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
I thought the problem was that Hurley was too much a player’s coach and didn’t pull guys or get on them when they messed up? And then he had too quick of a hook? Have some of you ever considered that you already have what your end belief is, facts be darned, and then you throw out any old piece of info, right or wrong, that makes it fit?

Jordan has improved his ability to have a shorter memory. You mess up? It’s over, move on and don’t let it impact the next play.

And, to answer the question, I imagine he would have them at 14-0 after 10 games.
He moves on because he’s on the court to do so. If he played like he is now last year he’d get pulled for his cold starts and turnovers. He’s on the court long enough now to play through them. That’s the only difference and his defense.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
I think he would start both Clingan and Sanogo.

Would brings back memories of Thabeet and Adrien. Come to think of it, Am I crazy to think how it's uncanny how the personnel on this year's team match up to 2008-'09.

Sanogo ≅ Adrien
Clingan ≅ Thabeet
Karaban ≅ Edwards
Jackson ≅ Robinson
Hawkins ≅ Dyson
Joey C. ≅ Kemba

Jackson is a much better ball handler than Robinson was, but Austrie, Price, and Beverly, collectively have a leg up on Newton, Alleyne, and Diarra. At least at the moment.

Why not?

Reaction Score
Why not?
Because I think Calhoun was smart enough to adapt with the times and not try to force a style that doesn't work today. Defensively, it would be a disaster with Sanogo trying to keep up with perimeter fours (and immediately getting into foul trouble) and offensively, it would really handicap the spacing of the team.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
Because I think Calhoun was smart enough to adapt with the times and not try to force a style that doesn't work today. Defensively, it would be a disaster with Sanogo trying to keep up with perimeter fours (and immediately getting into foul trouble) and offensively, it would really handicap the spacing of the team.
Makes sense in that case. Thanks for your POV.

On the other hand, I recall Calhoun being stubborn at times, particularly in terms of half-court offense. Hurley's offense has more motion and less isolation...entry passes to Sanogo notwithstanding.

If not start, I do think he would play Sanogo and Clingan together a few times for a few minutes/game, matchup dependent. Not everyone has the quality perimeter 4..

dennismenace

ONE MORE CAST
Reaction Score
Calhoun is still around, around more now giving his pointers. Hurley hired Tom Moore look at the recruiting since he’s been hired. This does actually have a Calhoun team feel to it. Hurley has taken great advantage of the coaches he has to talk to at his disposal.
Especially the racehorse basketball runouts. Love it!

Reaction Score
Is this the hypothetical 80-year-old never-stopped-being-the-UConn-head-coach Calhoun?

Have a feeling the roster would be different to begin with.

Reaction Score

I wouldn't call Sanogo defending a perimeter four a disaster. A perimeter four trying to guard Sanogo would be a disaster.

Reaction Score
I wouldn't call Sanogo defending a perimeter four a disaster. A perimeter four trying to guard Sanogo would be a disaster.
He’d be on the bench with foul trouble almost immediately. Imagine him trying to D up Kaluma against Creighton. It would go very poorly. And then on offense you’d just clog up the paint with the two bigs. Outside of VERY specific circumstances, it’s just a bad idea in the modern game and I think Calhoun (as Hurley clearly is) is smarter than that.

Drumguy

Funny, now I mostly play guitar
Reaction Score
What would this team look like under Jim Calhoun? Like talented 9 to 12 year olds since that’s what they were back in 2013.
And if you take their 2020 bodies - they'd look tall.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Whenever I see "Innocent Question" in a Boneyard thread title, what I really think it means is:

children destruction GIF

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Whenever I see "Innocent Question" in a Boneyard thread title, what I really think it means is:

children destruction GIF
Maybe we should have an "IQ" prefix now.

Reaction Score
He’d be on the bench with foul trouble almost immediately. Imagine him trying to D up Kaluma against Creighton. It would go very poorly. And then on offense you’d just clog up the paint with the two bigs. Outside of VERY specific circumstances, it’s just a bad idea in the modern game and I think Calhoun (as Hurley clearly is) is smarter than that.

You do bring up a good point about the foul trouble and I guess Calhoun usually had a third & fourth big on the bench who could come in if one of his two starting bigs got in foul trouble.

I keep thinking back to 2006 when Calhoun started Boone and Armstrong but he also had Adrien & Ed Nelson off the bench or a 6'9 Rudy Gay could slide over. I don't think we have that kind of depth this year but Samson could change that.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Maybe we should have an "IQ" prefix now.
Perhaps. The OP is the guy handing out the wiffle bat, for anybody unsure of this.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NewErA

Top Bottom