Innocent question: How would this team look under Calhoun? | The Boneyard

Innocent question: How would this team look under Calhoun?

Reaction Score
First and foremost, really like what Hurley is doing and in no way at all is this post meant as an indictment of him. We fans have our guy IMO. Simply curious, how do you think Calhoun would approach this team, and in what ways would they look different on the court and starting lineup/substitutions? I'd imagine he'd also have these guys at 10-0 with a similar ranking.

(And please, just asking about Calhoun.)

Apollo

step back from the ledge
Reaction Score
Anticipation Popcorn GIF

Reaction Score
First and foremost, really like what Hurley is doing and in no way at all is this post meant as an indictment of him. We fans have our guy IMO. Simply curious, how do you think Calhoun would approach this team, and in what ways would they look different on the court and starting lineup/substitutions? I'd imagine he'd also have these guys at 10-0 with a similar ranking.

(And please, just asking about Calhoun.)
I don't think the offense would look as fluid under JC. Defense would definitely be there. And they probably score more in transition under JC. Someone would constantly be leaking out on D. Looking for easy basket on the other end..... likely Jackson. Which seems a bit odd because Jackson is a fine passer... I don't know for sure. Just my initial thoughts.

caw

Reaction Score
Probably close to 2009 team. Closest I could come up with in the JC era in terms of personnel. I'm not sure it would fit with the way the game is played these days. Almost all of his best teams had two bigs on the floor.

Oddly, I think Jim Boeheim would kill to have this team. They have insane length if they were forced to play a 2-3 zone.

Reaction Score
That's not at all the tone of the post or what was meant. Do you have any thoughts?

Probably close to 2009 team. Closest I could come up with in the JC era in terms of personnel. I'm not sure it would fit with the way the game is played these days. Almost all of his best teams had two bigs on the floor.

Oddly, I think Jim Boeheim would kill to have this team. They have insane length if they were forced to play a 2-3 zone.
I thought that too, close to the 2009 team. Or maybe 2006. This team seems almost as loaded as 06 BUT with more focus and hunger.

I don't think the offense would look as fluid under JC.
Interesting! I think if you mixed the best aspects of JC with the best aspects of Hurley you'd have the perfect coach, or as close to perfect as possible.

Reaction Score
Hurley seems to be willing to let them play through mistakes and has players talk to each other. JC was not a big fan of mistakes and had a quick hook for teaching moments. I don't think we could play any better under the legend than we are now. Both are intense and driven coaches.

caw

Reaction Score
That's not at all the tone of the post or what was meant. Do you have any thoughts?

I thought that too, close to the 2009 team. Or maybe 2006. This team seems almost as loaded as 06 BUT with more focus and hunger.

Interesting! I think if you mixed the best aspects of JC with the best aspects of Hurley you'd have the perfect coach, or as close to perfect as possible.

And the worst aspects may end up with 60+ techs in a season.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Who cares? How we would do under Burr Carlson is what I want to know.

Reaction Score
Hurley seems to be willing to let them play through mistakes and has players talk to each other. JC was not a big fan of mistakes and had a quick hook for teaching moments. I don't think we could play any better under the legend than we are now. Both are intense and driven coaches.
Yes, I do remember him for his quick hook. I recall a starter being pulled in less than a minute more than once.

Reaction Score

According to syracusefan.com, Clingan is too slow for Boeheim’s zone lolol

Reaction Score
The best thing Calhoun would do with this group is make Karaban to Dave Debusschere and Clingan to Bill Walton references after every practice.

Reaction Score
Don’t know about that. Diarra came out pretty quickly after his man went back door on him

Reaction Score
Quicker hook for sure. Newton would have been pulled for missing dunk. Guys getting pulled for selfish play and not passing the ball. Probably a bit more disciplined but maybe not playing as loose as they are.

Reaction Score
I think he would start both Clingan and Sanogo.

g_smith

made my username before I noticed the UConn theme
Reaction Score
It would be epic to throw a 2-3 zone randomly at creighton mid game to ruin their day

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
What would this team look like under Jim Calhoun? Like talented 9 to 12 year olds since that’s what they were back in 2013.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score

I agree.

It's worth remembering that after UConn lost out on its recruitment of Jalen Carey to Syracuse, UConn out-recruited successively Syracuse for Akok Akok, Andre Jackson, and Donovan Clingan.

Further, Alex Karaban was introduced to The Boneyard 3 years ago by @Ricker as a Tyler Lydon clone when first seen in a New Hampton-Brewster prep game. After 3 straight recruiting losses to UConn, Syracuse didn't even try for Karaban.

A friendly reminder: you can flip channels back-and-forth on Saturday from UConn's LIU game on FS1 to Akok's return to The Dome in a Georgetown uniform, where the Hoyas face off on ABC against the Orange.

Reaction Score
Under Calhoun there certainly would have been more fireworks when Diarra and Karaban turned their heads and totally lost their defensive assignment for easy baskets/dunks. Not sure if it would have been an immediate timeout and a verbal undressing on the court, but it would not have been pretty,

Reaction Score
Calhoun is still around, around more now giving his pointers. Hurley hired Tom Moore look at the recruiting since he’s been hired. This does actually have a Calhoun team feel to it. Hurley has taken great advantage of the coaches he has to talk to at his disposal.

Reaction Score
I think he would post up Sanogo just as much as Hurley does and would be constantly finding ways to get Hawkins shots. I like Hurley for this team better in some ways because this team has some creativity where if there is a silly mistake, Calhoun would immediately pull guys while Hurley lets them play. Calhoun would probably funnel ball handlers for even more shotblocking. Calhoun would lose his SHeeeT on the refs for all of the flopping teams try to do to get Sanogo in foul trouble

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I could see Hawkins' confidence crushed with how delicate mentally he seemed last year. Especially final-stage crusty Calhoun

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom