Independent Scheduling | Page 23 | The Boneyard

Independent Scheduling

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I don't the NCAA will give the AAC an unlimited waiver for holding a conference championship game with 11 teams and no clear plans to add a 12th. That is a rule change. If the AAC was going back to 12 teams in 2021 and requested a waiver for 2020 only, maybe they would get a one year waiver.

The article I posted back on the 7th had this quote from the Temple AD: “...Kraft said the waiver would only be granted for two years – covering 2020 and 2021. The league would then have to seek another waiver for 2022 and beyond, or find a different solution, such as adding a 12th member.”

Reactions: TKs
Reaction Score
There was a battle a few years back about totally deregulating how conferences determined championship game participants sponsored by the ACC and Big 12, but it failed and the compromise was to allow conferences with 10 teams that played a round robin schedule to hold a championship. The change in the ACC/Big 12 proposal was driven by the Big 10.

I don't the NCAA will give the AAC an unlimited waiver for holding a conference championship game with 11 teams and no clear plans to add a 12th. That is a rule change. If the AAC was going back to 12 teams in 2021 and requested a waiver for 2020 only, maybe they would get a one year waiver.

If the NCAA said they would give a waiver for one year, that means the AAC needs to add a team for 2021 and it is getting late. And, outside of BYU as a football only, who would you add?

I think the reason we have not heard boo on the 2020 schedule is that in some way it involves the AAC. Either UConn is playing in the AAC next year or playing a number of AAC teams OOC next year.

Honestly, for the AAC, staying at 11 for basketball is the right move as they can then move to a 20 game schedule like most conferences which would be a round robin. Keeping UConn as the 12th team for football makes sense as well. Sure, UConn football is down, but it is a brand and we can attract attractive OOC home games that increase the value of the TV contract. And, maybe ESPN will finally come through for UConn and pressure the AAC to keep UConn football. (We can hope!)
I hate to beat a dead horse here, but if UConn gives Randy Edsall his walking papers after December 2nd, and hires Jerry Kill, Moorhead, or someone else with a good coaching pedigree, Aresco would probably let UConn football stay for a couple years at least. AAC football is not something to be taken lightly by the P5, it is a very good conference.

Reaction Score
I hate to beat a dead horse here, but if UConn gives Randy Edsall his walking papers after December 2nd, and hires Jerry Kill, Moorhead, or someone else with a good coaching pedigree, Aresco would probably let UConn football stay for a couple years at least. AAC football is not something to be taken lightly by the P5, it is a very good conference.
Not a chance the AAC does that. It has zero benefit for them. They expand league play by 1 game and their short term holes are filled. They figure out how to deal with the waiver/12 the team issue on their own terms.

Personally, I think that the most unlikely #12 scenario of adding Army has an infinitely greater chance of happening.

Reaction Score

Hate to the bearer of bad news; but, the P5 takes the AAC very lightly.

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
There was a battle a few years back about totally deregulating how conferences determined championship game participants sponsored by the ACC and Big 12, but it failed and the compromise was to allow conferences with 10 teams that played a round robin schedule to hold a championship. The change in the ACC/Big 12 proposal was driven by the Big 10.

If the NCAA said they would give a waiver for one year, that means the AAC needs to add a team for 2021 and it is getting late. And, outside of BYU as a football only, who would you add?

I think the reason we have not heard boo on the 2020 schedule is that in some way it involves the AAC. Either UConn is playing in the AAC next year or playing a number of AAC teams OOC next year.

Honestly, for the AAC, staying at 11 for basketball is the right move as they can then move to a 20 game schedule like most conferences which would be a round robin. Keeping UConn as the 12th team for football makes sense as well. Sure, UConn football is down, but it is a brand and we can attract attractive OOC home games that increase the value of the TV contract. And, maybe ESPN will finally come through for UConn and pressure the AAC to keep UConn football. (We can hope!)
Solid theory, but I need to understand how much is only wishful thinking.

OTOH, the season starts in just over 10 months and there are precious few options for 2020 opponents remaining without the AAC. Attendance is pathetic, but even we pathetic few have our breaking point.

Fairfield_1st

Sitting on this Barstool talking like a damn fool
Reaction Score
Could the AAC & UConn be waiting on this decision before announcing schedules? If the waiver is denied perhaps the AAC keeps UConn on as football only member for a year or 2 to save Championship Game. This would give the AAC proper time to select 12th Conference member.
On the surface this makes complete sense, but wouldn't UConn staying on mean that we have to produce our own games for a year or 2. That would require an investment that we probably don't want to make, especially if it's for such a short term. If this is true, it makes extending our stay a little harder.

Reactions: TKs

Husky25

Reaction Score
On the surface this makes complete sense, but wouldn't UConn staying on mean that we have to produce our own games for a year or 2. That would require an investment that we probably don't want to make, especially if it's for such a short term. If this is true, it makes extending our stay a little harder.
I recall that the Conference was going to pick up production for football.

On the other hand, if this amounts to basically a scheduling alliance, UConn would not necessarily be beholden to the AAC media contract and would be free to pursue other outlets, which presumably means SNY, who already have production capabilities.

Fairfield_1st

Reaction Score
I recall that the Conference was going to pick up production for football.

On the other hand, if this amounts to basically a scheduling alliance, UConn would not necessarily be beholden to the AAC media contract and would be free to pursue other outlets, which presumably means SNY, who already have production capabilities.
Good call on the football production. I went back to the article I was reading and realized my reading comprehension is not where it should be.
Looks like regardless if we stay in the conference or just have an alliance, there's no additional cost.

Reaction Score
Not a chance the AAC does that. It has zero benefit for them. They expand league play by 1 game and their short term holes are filled. They figure out how to deal with the waiver/12 the team issue on their own terms.

Personally, I think that the most unlikely #12 scenario of adding Army has an infinitely greater chance of happening.
Zero benefit????? How about it easily guarantees them a 12 team conference championship game next Fall? Why are you so negative on the AAC doing that? Especially if they can get Uconn's OOC basketball games (men and women) scheduled through out the conference in return for football hanging around?

Reaction Score
The article I posted back on the 7th had this quote from the Temple AD: “...Kraft said the waiver would only be granted for two years – covering 2020 and 2021. The league would then have to seek another waiver for 2022 and beyond, or find a different solution, such as adding a 12th member.”
Thanks for adding that.

I still don't see why the NCAA would allow the AAC to play 8 games with 11 teams in a divisionless conference (which is what Aresco has aluded to) and allow them to have a championship game. I could be wrong, but when has anything gone that smoothly with the NCAA?

I'm just trying to figure out why Benedict has been radio silent and why we have not heard of any new games for 2020, yet we have had the future Maryland series announced. I'm sure he is lobbying for AAC football games for 2020. Notice how we hear from other schools that they are talking about continuing to play UConn in the future (more basketball than football). There is no upside for anyone associated with UConn to talk about playing AAC teams in 2020.

I guess we have to wait and see.

Reaction Score
Thanks for adding that.

I still don't see why the NCAA would allow the AAC to play 8 games with 11 teams in a divisionless conference (which is what Aresco has aluded to) and allow them to have a championship game. I could be wrong, but when has anything gone that smoothly with the NCAA?

I'm just trying to figure out why Benedict has been radio silent and why we have not heard of any new games for 2020, yet we have had the future Maryland series announced. I'm sure he is lobbying for AAC football games for 2020. Notice how we hear from other schools that they are talking about continuing to play UConn in the future (more basketball than football). There is no upside for anyone associated with UConn to talk about playing AAC teams in 2020.

I guess we have to wait and see.

I mentioned previously that I believe there will be an AAC component to our schedule and some of the delay may be attributable to the the AAC figuring out what direction they have to head at upcoming meeting —whether it’s a full schedule is where I’m not convinced.

I’m not worked up over the delay... I didn’t commit to a multi-year season ticket package.

Husky25

Reaction Score
I mentioned previously that I believe there will be an AAC component to our schedule and some of the delay may be attributable to the the AAC figuring out what direction they have to head at upcoming meeting —whether it’s a full schedule is where I’m not convinced.

I’m not worked up over the delay... I didn’t commit to a multi-year season ticket package.
Did anyone? I don't recall those being offered anymore.

Fairfield_1st

Reaction Score
And the AAC conference won't show their hand until the NCAA rules on the championship game. No championship game, then we stay in the conference so they can have one. Otherwise, the games are kept as OOC. It completely explains our silence on next year's schedule.

Reaction Score
I heard from a very reliable source that 6 of next year's 8 formerly open game dates have been filled. There is no AAC in UConn's future.
Why would the other schools not announce them?

TJT

Reaction Score
Maybe because they are terrible games and they don’t want anyone to know.

I have seen some specualtion that there will be multiple FCS opponents on the schedule.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom