In The Name Of Good Sportsmanship - Songs That Reference Tennessee | Page 3 | The Boneyard

In The Name Of Good Sportsmanship - Songs That Reference Tennessee

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
These guys do mostly covers I think. I prefer the original by Gillian Welch.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score

Actually..... but it works.

The lyrics tell of a man phoning the woman he loves, urging her to meet him at a train station in Clarksville before he must leave, possibly forever. There was no explicit reference to war in the song but its last line, "And I don't know if I'm ever coming home", was an indirect reference about a soldier leaving for the Vietnam War.

It has often been presumed that the song refers to Clarksville, Tennessee, which is near Fort Campbell, Kentucky, the home of the 101st Airborne Division, which was then serving in Vietnam. However, according to songwriter Bobby Hart, that was not the case. Instead, according to Hart, "We were just looking for a name that sounded good. There's a little town in northern Arizona I used to go through in the summer on the way to Oak Creek Canyon called Clarkdale. We were throwing out names, and when we got to Clarkdale, we thought Clarksville sounded even better. We didn't know it at the time, [but] there is an Army base near the town of Clarksville, Tennessee — which would have fit the bill fine for the storyline. We couldn't be too direct with The Monkees. We couldn't really make a protest song out of it — we kind of snuck it in".

cockhrnleghrn

Crowing rooster
Reaction Score
Actually..... but it works.

The lyrics tell of a man phoning the woman he loves, urging her to meet him at a train station in Clarksville before he must leave, possibly forever. There was no explicit reference to war in the song but its last line, "And I don't know if I'm ever coming home", was an indirect reference about a soldier leaving for the Vietnam War.

It has often been presumed that the song refers to Clarksville, Tennessee, which is near Fort Campbell, Kentucky, the home of the 101st Airborne Division, which was then serving in Vietnam. However, according to songwriter Bobby Hart, that was not the case. Instead, according to Hart, "We were just looking for a name that sounded good. There's a little town in northern Arizona I used to go through in the summer on the way to Oak Creek Canyon called Clarkdale. We were throwing out names, and when we got to Clarkdale, we thought Clarksville sounded even better. We didn't know it at the time, [but] there is an Army base near the town of Clarksville, Tennessee — which would have fit the bill fine for the storyline. We couldn't be too direct with The Monkees. We couldn't really make a protest song out of it — we kind of snuck it in".

My other choice was a Gamecocks song that made fun of both Georgia and Tennessee, but I thought that one was more appropriate for your site.

Reaction Score
If they got paid by cash why didn't they spend it on better outfits???? :p
So true...the arrows are particularly perplexing. I'm not a big fan of country music, but I went through a phase in my teens.

Zorro

Nuestro Zorro Amigo
Reaction Score
Tennessee gets a slight mention, which is what they deservel

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
Love the debut CD by these guys. Saw them at Durham Fair a couple of years ago...what a disappointment.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom