In Geno's Defense | Page 2 | The Boneyard

In Geno's Defense

Reaction Score
I was watching the postgame interviews tonight and listened to Geno and it dawned on me how much pressure he was under with all of these remarkable streaks. All of them ended this year and it was sad but hopefully it makes coaching fun for Geno again. It seemed like during his comments he was light and optimistic about the future.

As a fan I am a little sad because I really don't like watching any team if they aren't playing UCONN. I pray that all the girls can look back on the year and realize how much joy they brought to a bunch of fans just like me. I also pray all the injured get healed and have a year that allows them be at their best and build some great memories for life.
I agree and I think the streaks were too much pressure for the players as well. As much pain as they probably feel now for ruining all the streaks it will probably be so much of a relief next year when they won’t be hanging over their heads.

Reaction Score
I think that some criticism of the coaching is fair but I also think that there was a bigger issue and that was that we were just out of sorts, tired, listless, undisciplined, and unfocused and I don't think that it happened that day. We were just a different team from the weekend before and 2 weekends before. We were in a low and I don't think that showing them a magic press breaker in a time out would have won that game. They just didn't have it. It has happened before to us in FFs for example. You just have to be peaking in the tourney and we were not.

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
We lost. We didn't look good at all.

Except for Lou, everyone had probably their worst game of the season. It happens. Unfortunately, we are UConn and these things do not happen to UConn teams. Well they do.

As to a lot of this other "stuff" that people are so concerned about, I could care less. Geno and company will go thru and evaluation and what is next.

I'm one who also cautions about Paige curing the problems when she is cleared to play. Injuries have taken away two years of playing. She is going to be coming back from an ACL injury/ surgery. That is not an easy or quick recovery. We have no idea how she will be able to play. What is her durability going to be.

Reaction Score
Again, I remind you Paige will have played only 17 games in the past 31 months. A lot factors will affect her game. I hope for the best, but still have guarded optimism.
Agree, you never know how a player responds to a serious injury until they recuperate both mentally and physically. Last season Paige came off injury and played well but she was not the same force as her freshman year. Her Freshman year, Paige was generational, that the
Paige I hope we see next season!

Reaction Score
I agree and I think the streaks were too much pressure for the players as well. As much pain as they probably feel now for ruining all the streaks it will probably be so much of a relief next year when they won’t be hanging over their heads.

I have always remembered what the college coach, who I considered to be the best one I played for, tried to reinforce in his player’s minds about pressure. He tried to convince his teams that playing a competitive game wasn’t a pressure situation, and that if we wanted to feel real life pressure try having four or five kids & you aren’t able to feed them.
Any player that commits to playing at UConn understands the expectations that come with that, and becomes accustomed to it, but when another team is able to speed you up with their pressure defense, & you’re absolutely convinced that they have seven players on defense all those lessons are long gone. Anyone who played basketball has had it happen to them, but it probably wasn’t on national television and under the microscope that the UConn women play under. JMO

Reaction Score
I was shocked by the move to have Nika guard Mikesell instead of Sheldon and instead leave Lou, our worst defender, to guard Sheldon. To me that was the coaching decision I have the most questions about - Sheldon is much more important to that team that Mikesell. I do wonder how much Nika' ankles played a roll in that decision though.

Reaction Score
I'm one who also cautions about Paige curing the problems when she is cleared to play. Injuries have taken away two years of playing. She is going to be coming back from an ACL injury/ surgery. That is not an easy or quick recovery. We have no idea how she will be able to play. What is her durability going to be.
For that matter, the same question could be asked about Fudd and Ducharme as well.

Reaction Score
Yeah cuz having the BE defensive player of the year and having PG that broke Sue Bird's assist records by a mile isnt quite good enough. Get serious!
Upgrading the point guard position can refer to the subs. The past game would have been a good example of when to sit 1-2 of the starters, let them observe the Ohio State press, then quickly put them back in. We were just not deep enough this year, particularly at the PG position.

Reaction Score
This was a tough game to coach. We can all talk about what could have been done and I mentioned this in another post. There were some coaching issues but they were put in a bind in this game by the following:

1. If you call a time out, you allow them to set up that press: Geno knows calling a timeout allows them to adjust the press given the length of the court. He tried to let them play through because the 'made basket press' is different than the 'out of timeout press' and they couldn't handle the former.
2. Azzi has trouble with presses. It distorts her and she gets unnerved. Remember the Stanford 2022 game. She couldn't help Nika. Nika even couldn't help herself and Geno couldn't trust his starting backcourt.
3. UConn was without a system post player: Think about Gabby Williams. Dolson, Ododa, and hopefully Amari Deberry. Geno puts them in the middle of the floor to beat the press. They're either 6'5 or quick tweeners. With Aaliyah on the bench, Dorka had to score, rebound, screen, block and pass. She was gassed.
4. Backcourt fatigue: Azzi had on a knee brace, Lou had an injured knee and/or foot, Caroline is coming off concussion protocols, Nika couldn't stop grimacing. Geno couldn't yell at them. They were doing the best and that would have exacerbated it. He knew it and had to accept it.

We can talk all day about what coaching a Sweet Sixteen game is like but we'll never know. Burn some sage on this year, thank the ladies for having an INCREDIBLE season and doing their best despite the tough hand they were dealt. And watch the MBB rout teams like the women have for once ;)
If we take the EMOTIONS out of the conversation it saves a lot of negatives.
This team--doesn't have the time together the Kenny Brooke's team VT had. That's a factor--Chemistry. Then too they are a tough bunch of kids on Ohio State and VT--not crude or rude, just tough, mentally tough.
If you look at the past year and a half--you've got to appreciate what they accomplished and under what circumstances. If they could have played with the same 7 players for the whole year--they'd know where the next pass was going --before they got the ball. Then too VT had Georgia Amoore, a terrific ball handler. Uconn's best ball handler was sitting on the bench. Nick is tough, Nika is determined, Nika is great at feeding others--NIKA isn't great in traffic, Paige is, Azzi isn't (yet)-
How do you blame Geno for medical issues, lack of chemistry, in-ability to break the press?
All faults of any team belongs on the coaching staff--EXCEPT --when medical issues destroy the team.

Reaction Score
Again, I remind you Paige will have played only 17 games in the past 31 months. A lot factors will affect her game. I hope for the best, but still have guarded optimism.
AZZI's return points up the RUST factor and Paige shall be RUSTY. Will the injury hamper her physically or MENTALLY. People tend tofor get Basketball is 60 percent MENTAL and 40 percent physical. That's what happens when PRESSED--the mental side fades--rush rush rush -So I agree, don't expect too much too fast from Paige or the new kids or even ICE. Don't plan on an NC right away.

Reaction Score
I hope the coaching staff watched the VA Tech / Ohio St game last night and took notes on how to break the 2-2-1 press.

Reaction Score
We lost. We didn't look good at all.

Except for Lou, everyone had probably their worst game of the season. It happens. Unfortunately, we are UConn and these things do not happen to UConn teams. Well they do.

As to a lot of this other "stuff" that people are so concerned about, I could care less. Geno and company will go thru and evaluation and what is next.

It’s true that no one knows how Paige will be after her recovery, but Sue Bird had a pretty solid career after tearing her ACL in freshman year at UConn.

JBK

Reaction Score
I think they’ll deal with it adequately, Amoore is a great point guard.
She showed it. The press was eliminated in a few minutes. I hope Paige will be that difference maker

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hipline

Top Bottom