In defense of Nika | Page 5 | The Boneyard

In defense of Nika

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
I fully expect a number of teams to throw a press at UConn and they will either learn how to deal with it or else......KK, in my estimation, is that key person who will be a press breaker.
I highly, highly doubt it. A healthy Bueckers, Muhl and Fudd will be able to handle any press thrown at them without Arnold's help. But I highly doubt they will see many, if any, presses thrown at them.

I think UCONN will probably press more next year, than be pressed.

BRS24

LisaG
Reaction Score
First of all, I love Nika and so does my entire family. That said, she, like everyone else, needs to work on certain parts of her game. She needs to practice stepping into the pass to get her feet set ahead of her shot on a 3. She also needs to develop a true vertical pull up jumper off the dribble. Finally, she needs to work on twisting her right hand ever so slightly on a layup especially on a breakaway or hard drive so that the ball doesn't career off the glass too hard. The judgment on passing will improve naturally and if not, that can be worked on situationally also.
Agree, aka Sue Bird midrange shot. I'd rather have that vs a 3 pointer.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Paige is better with the ball in her hands than not. She is their best PG. This doesn’t make me delusional or a hater.
No, but what makes you delusional is thinking Muhl won't be starting next year.

Besides the fact that Muhl had way more assists AND a better A/TO ratio than Bueckers did when she won NPOY and NLC Pt Guard Award.

And more assists and better A/TO ratio than Rizzotti did (when she won NPOY) and Montgomery did (when she won NCL Pt Guard) as Seniors.

Bird had a bit better A/TO ratio, but not as many assists.

And Jefferson was just in a class by herself with A/TO ratio.

Clark is gonna win the NLC award again this year, but she's not gonna have a better A/TO ratio than Muhl.

Some of you way underestimate what a good PG Muhl is.

Reaction Score
Sorry, Nika won't be the starting point guard, Paige will. When you get your star point guard back from injury, she retains her spot back. That's automatic from any head coach.
Not necessarily, there likely will be some sharing of the PG spot, with Muhl starting there at season's beginning and Paige at wing and then sliding over to PG after 1st quarter as sub for Nika. This is most likely because Muhl is a PG only and Paige is a combo guard (although best at PG and her future is at PG). As the season goes along some judgement will be made based on the look and performance of the team with Paige or Nika at PG.As the season progresses the new PG (KK) performance will factor in also Everybody will be reasonably happy with their minutes when it all settles out. Certainly the NFL presents many examples of the "automatic" not being fulfilled by coaches.

Reaction Score
All good points. A couple comments on the bolded lines. 1) I also really like Arnold's physical game and skills. I think she has a mental adjustment to make that will determine her PT depending on how long it takes to make. The holes and gaps she exploits with her quickness and handle now in the halfcourt are going to shrink and close quickly in college. Her decision making of when to go and ability to handle a lot more physicality will be key for her. Plus she can get a little sloppy with the ball because of her HS advantages and will need to protect it better at this level. 2) Fundamentally, Brady was much further along coming in than Patterson to play inside. Her footwork, positioning, and especially passing and shooting were all much more college ready. I believe her ability to contribute will develop faster than Patterson's was and the year of watching, learning, and applying will be very beneficial to her as well.
I agree with your points. I feel though that KK will adjust and be a big time contributor by year end. Her quickness is hard to defend - as long as she plays in control.

I think you are right with your assessment of Brady. Hope it comes to fruition next year.

Reaction Score
I agree with you on all of these adjustments being necessary. However, I don't see them happening anytime soon. Whether through UConn staff coaching or working with a good skills coach, these improvements should have been made over the last couple of years. They are all basic, necessary skills needed in the current, modern WBB game. I don't know why some players put off learning this stuff until they're scrambling for one of the scarce pro jobs that they say are their goals but they seem to.
I'm expecting an Aaliyah type change over the summer. I think we will see it.

Reaction Score
Paige's role should be similar to Caitlin Clark's role as the floor leader at Iowa, and UCONN has the better supporting cast if healthy.

Reaction Score
Paige, possibly ahead of KK Arnold? I hope that was a misstatement.

First, let's recap. Nika will start and be the primary ball handler. Paige slots into Lou's spot, which would have been hers if she did not get injured this season. There will be multiple times when Paige handles the ball, particularly pushing an up-tempo offense. I envision more of a shoot-more role for Paige in the upcoming season, as part of a two-headed monster with Azzi. Certainly, Paige will facilitate, but her ability to shoot, penetrate, and create her own shot creates opportunities for everyone on the floor.

A three-guard offense would imply a need for another "big" alongside Aaliyah, who is best suited as a power forward or a "4."

While Arnold maybe very talented, there are experienced, talented players in front of her. There are only so many minutes of playing time available, and if you know Geno's history, starters get the bulk of playing time. Furthermore, Aubrey and Caroline will demand PT, filling in various roles and positions as well.

So, unless the team is in a blowout, I am having a hard time seeing where minutes come for the incoming freshmen, other than Jana & Ice Brady (essentially a freshman since she missed this season). The center or "5" spot, replacing Dorka is the most pressing position to fill for next year with the caveat that everyone will be healthy.
Good assessment. While we likely can dominate most teams next year with our 3 guard lineup, in the NCAA's, we will face a number of tall teams. Will need Ice or other true 4 or 5 to win the title.

Reaction Score
No, but what makes you delusional is thinking Muhl won't be starting next year.

Besides the fact that Muhl had way more assists AND a better A/TO ratio than Bueckers did when she won NPOY and NLC Pt Guard Award.

And more assists and better A/TO ratio than Rizzotti did (when she won NPOY) and Montgomery did (when she won NCL Pt Guard) as Seniors.

Bird had a bit better A/TO ratio, but not as many assists.

And Jefferson was just in a class by herself with A/TO ratio.

Clark is gonna win the NLC award again this year, but she's not gonna have a better A/TO ratio than Muhl.

Some of you way underestimate what a good PG Muhl is.
Seems like many want to use assists as the sole metric to defend or promote Muhl. Using this one measure doesn't do her justice. Relentless defense, leading the fast break, and endless energy would be on the top of my list. She is not the perfect guard and it also ignores some areas of development. While she is one of the best PG's we have had, comparing her to players like Bird and Jefferson is also a stretch.

JBK

Reaction Score
I don't know whether you saw the OSU-Va Tech game last night, but Va Tech did exactly what you were talking about--not only did they beat OSU's press easily--they didn't panic and unravel like UConn--but they ended the press breaker with an easy layup. OSU came out of their press pretty quickly and it was largely ineffective. That game last night was very indicative of the sentiment that UConn's debacle came not from OSU's press being so formidable but from UConn's players lacking competitive spirit and not coming into the game to play and compete vigorously....

BTW, their PG Amore single-handedly broke down OSU's press with her quickness and ball-handling ability--she rarely picked up her dribble, especially in the backcourt. With some of the comparisons here of recent about PG play, this Amore has the complete PG skillset: she is an amazing ballhandler, she is a great passer, she's lightning quick and a deadeye three-pointer shooter and has great competitive spirit..
Agreed. She can do it all — just like a healthy Paige. Let’s hope for the best

Reaction Score
Like I’ve said before, Muhl is definitely going to be a starter but that doesn’t necessarily mean that she’d be part of the five on the floor in a close game during the 4th quarter

Reaction Score
I don't know whether you saw the OSU-Va Tech game last night, but Va Tech did exactly what you were talking about--not only did they beat OSU's press easily--they didn't panic and unravel like UConn--but they ended the press breaker with an easy layup. OSU came out of their press pretty quickly and it was largely ineffective. That game last night was very indicative of the sentiment that UConn's debacle came not from OSU's press being so formidable but from UConn's players lacking competitive spirit and not coming into the game to play and compete vigorously....

BTW, their PG Amore single-handedly broke down OSU's press with her quickness and ball-handling ability--she rarely picked up her dribble, especially in the backcourt. With some of the comparisons here of recent about PG play, this Amore has the complete PG skillset: she is an amazing ballhandler, she is a great passer, she's lightning quick and a deadeye three-pointer shooter and has great competitive spirit..
I agree we didn’t handle the press very well but some have said, including OSU’s head coach, that they (OSU) gave everything thy had against UConn and weren’t able to press with nearly the same effect against VT. Obviously, the VT PG handled the press better than Nika and the rest of our team but perhaps she (Nika) was simply facing a far more energetic, committed, and fresh team than the one that played VT two days later!

Reaction Score

I’m pretty sure that’s how Geno taught them how to break the press why I pointed in another thread he was out coached and didn’t have an answer .. he’s a great coach but he needs to change his style a tad imo to more of todays game and UConn will be winning ships again.. I mean Azzi basically threw it to OSU on 3 straight possessions Aubrey did better with her speed but she would stop after getting across the line instead of attacking

Reaction Score
I’m pretty sure that’s how Geno taught them how to break the press why I pointed in another thread he was out coached and didn’t have an answer .. he’s a great coach but he needs to change his style a tad imo to more of todays game and UConn will be winning ships again.. I mean Azzi basically threw it to OSU on 3 straight possessions Aubrey did better with her speed but she would stop after getting across the line instead of attacking
The examples that you gave cannot be disputed--we only differ on the causal factor--i can't believe that UConn didn't practice breaking the OSU press which was fairly simple: Va Tech did so, Iowa did so and laid a 100 on OSU. I would have called a timeout and adopted a different strategy during the OSU blitz. Inexplicably, Azzi and Aubrey and others were rattled by it and had really sub-par games--picking up their dribble and allowing themselves to be placed on a island.... But I don't think this collapse was from coaching...

Reaction Score
I agree we didn’t handle the press very well but some have said, including OSU’s head coach, that they (OSU) gave everything thy had against UConn and weren’t able to press with nearly the same effect against VT. Obviously, the VT PG handled the press better than Nika and the rest of our team but perhaps she (Nika) was simply facing a far more energetic, committed, and fresh team than the one that played VT two days later!
Glad you heard the Ohio State comment when asked by Holly Rowe about his press against V.T. early in the game. OSU played only 6 players against UCONN. The 7th played only 4 minutes. Worn out and banged up from UCONN win, he said. And it showed in the 3rd & 4th quarters against Virginia Tech.

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
Paige is better with the ball in her hands than not. She is their best PG. This doesn’t make me delusional or a hater.

According to Geno a couple of years ago, UConn was a better team with Paige playing off the ball.

According to Paige, she wasn't the point guard at Hopkins. Can't remember her teammate's name, but another player consistently brought the ball up the court and initiated the offense. Paige had the ball a lot subsequently. Same thing with Maite Cazorla and Sabrina Ionescu at Oregon. Cazorla was the primary point guard.

A team can have two point guards on the floor at once. It opens up a lot of possibilities.

Reaction Score
It was hard to assess what Geno and the assistant coaches focused on in preparing for the Ohio State press. From the beginning, there was minimal movement - most of the ball handlers just stared at the inbounder. Not blaming coaches, players, etc. just stating the facts.

Reaction Score
I saw KK and Shade. Was NOT impressed. Neither did anything to stand out like many of the other girls did. KK had 3 fould and a Technical. Shade took one shot and missed. They might have been dynamo's in high school but college at the D-1 level is a totally different animal.
Ok I watched the McDonalds Game ( the first game I watched was a scrimmage) and Shade and KK did better. I still wasnt that impressed but they did score some points and played better defense. Still saying that KK will replace Nika is a bit premature. Saying KK will solve our problems is really naive.

Reaction Score
According to Geno a couple of years ago, UConn was a better team with Paige playing off the ball.

According to Paige, she wasn't the point guard at Hopkins. Can't remember her teammate's name, but another player consistently brought the ball up the court and initiated the offense. Paige had the ball a lot subsequently. Same thing with Maite Cazorla and Sabrina Ionescu at Oregon. Cazorla was the primary point guard.

A team can have two point guards on the floor at once. It opens up a lot of possibilities.
Amaya Battle was the PG at Hopkins. She’s currently at the University of Minnesota.

Reaction Score
Nika is a defense oriented PG as opposed to a PG that knows how to be a scorer.
Here's a comparison of Nika to UCLA freshman PG Kiki Rice.

Player - Nika - Kiki
Games-36----36
Avg.
Mins---36.6 --27.9
FGM----84----148
3PT-----37----13
FT-------51---153
PTS-----256--430
PPG
Avg,-----7.1--11.6
RB's-----145--161
PF's------84---85
Ass'ts---284--111
TO's-----127---61
Steals-----50---45
Blocks------5---20

What's evident from these stats is that Kiki knows how to draw fouls and get to the foul line to score points.
Kiki scored an average of 4.5 more points per game while playing 8.7 less minutes per game.
Kiki is only a freshman PG and already knew how to score more points than Nika who is a junior. with 3 years of PG experience.
Plus Kiki committed less than 1/2 the number of TO's.

While she had 1/2 the turnovers she had less than 1/2 the assists. Nika wasn’t supposed to be a primary scoring option, we we’re missing the two best scorers on the team for most of the year.

Reaction Score
Who's a Nika hater? Put 'em up.
Ready To Fight Bbc America GIF by The Watch

Reaction Score
Here’s my take, right or wrong:
From the very first time I saw Nika on the court, I thought “This is a hothead with something to prove”
Over the past 3 seasons she has matured and developed her skills, but the stubborn Muhl (pun intended) still remained.
When it became evident that UCONN would have to do without Paige for the whole season, there was a realization that no one player could replace her.
So everyone would just have to do a little more.
Now, Caroline was hurt & not 100%
Lou was fantastic but had never played with Paige.
Azzi got whacked early and is still not right
None of the post players could really fill the void of Paige’s missing guard play.
As much as Geno insists that “Nika should be Nika” and just do the things that SHE does best, it seems that Nika feels that she has to expand her responsibilities to include many of the things both on and off the court that Paige is so good at doing.
Geno says he puts up with most of Nika’s questionable decisions because he doesn’t like to discourage leadership or initiative.
Nika’s errors are overwhelmingly errors of commission, as in trying to do too much.
Hopefully, with Paige’s return next season, she can ease some of the burden Nika has taken upon herself. And as a bonus, Nika’s experience as the defacto leader will provide some support for Paige as she readjusts to playing at her “normal” level of excellence.
IMHO

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NewErA

Top Bottom