In defense of Nika | Page 3 | The Boneyard

In defense of Nika

Reaction Score
Maybe she considered the game to be a meaningless exhibition.
She wasn't standing around for the Team USA 3X3 competition, and looked like a star.
She doesn't necessarily need to be a starter.

IF... "a meaningless exhibition" is in any way an attitudinal thing (not saying it is), she'll get the Stewie treatment...

Reaction Score
The Juniors, Paige, Nika and Aaliyah were all of the freshman which I believe was the last class that gets the covid year, so all would be eleigible -unless I am mistaken.
I thought the covid year was the year prior to their arrival. when they were freshies, they lost to Arizona and then last year to SC and then this year.

Reaction Score
UCONN's failure to break the press does not fall on Nika's shoulders alone. It was a collective uncharacteristic failure. Players failed to move to space to make themselves available for a pass and dribblers committed the cardinal error of picking up their dribble to soon. Not just Nika, but all.

As for next year, as others have documented Nika herself says she's the second best PG on the floor. Nika knows that Paige is the best. For those of you who think KK as good as she is is going to come in and be the starter at the point, not if Paige is healthy. My money is on Paige being healthy although Geno may choose to start at the 2 or 3. If so KK might have a shot.

sun

Reaction Score
IF... "a meaningless exhibition" is in any way an attitudinal thing (not saying it is), she'll get the Stewie treatment...
I think that you're describing a Stewie problem that simply doesn't exist.
The ESPN write up for KK being in the McDonald's All American game clearly indicates why she's an elite PG recruit.

i

Kamorea Arnold, PG​

Signed with: UConn | 2023 espnW 100 ranking: 6
Germantown HS (Wisconsin)

Arnold is an intense, physical and energetic point guard who sets the tone defensively with ball pressure. She excels in the open court with her speed and ability to push the ball and change pace, which creates instant offense and leads to paint touches and opportunities at the rim. Over her high school career, she improved her perimeter shooting, which has added a new dynamic to her game. She brings the hate-to-lose mentality that is requisite for the elite at the next level. Arnold is averaging 23.2 points, 6.8 rebounds, and 7.4 assists per game this season.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
If fans want to proclaim Nika to be the starting PG next year despite KK entering the picture, then let's look at Geno's options objectively.
If KK ends up being as good as Kiki Rice, then why should KK sit on the bench all year?
Let's look at it from the perspective of Geno, Paige and the rest of the team.
UConn is just like any other team & will always have a need for a multi talented guard who can also be a back up PG.
Every player on the floor needs to make passes & plays & shouldn't be expected to play 40 minutes.
Maybe some folks think that the PG position can't be shared as other capable players earn PT & need to be trained based on circumstances & their natural abilities.
We'll see what Geno does as next year's team undergoes its annual growing pains.
When Lou was added to the team, Geno knew what he had and said that players who started last year shouldn't just assume they will start this year (or something to that effect). I'd like to see what KK can do- nothing wrong with a little competition and adding more offense.

Reaction Score
Nika had a great year with a few poor games sprinkled in there. Unfortunately the last game was one of them. The same can be said for a few other players on the team.

Next year is up for debate. It is certainly true in my opinion that Paige will be ahead of Nika and possibly KK as well. From my limited exposure to KK's game, she is really good and potentially more talented than Nika. That is no slight to Nika who is an AA in her own right.
I think KK is the juice coming off the bench we need for next year. Now does GA start Nika, Paige and Azzi? It is very possible but our two bigs better be really good at controlling the paint. Either way you slice it, it is obvious Nika's minutes will come down from this year.

That said, I think she will compete and help us win a lot of games next year. Why wouldn't she? She done that the last 3 years....
Paige, possibly ahead of KK Arnold? I hope that was a misstatement.

First, let's recap. Nika will start and be the primary ball handler. Paige slots into Lou's spot, which would have been hers if she did not get injured this season. There will be multiple times when Paige handles the ball, particularly pushing an up-tempo offense. I envision more of a shoot-more role for Paige in the upcoming season, as part of a two-headed monster with Azzi. Certainly, Paige will facilitate, but her ability to shoot, penetrate, and create her own shot creates opportunities for everyone on the floor.

A three-guard offense would imply a need for another "big" alongside Aaliyah, who is best suited as a power forward or a "4."

While Arnold maybe very talented, there are experienced, talented players in front of her. There are only so many minutes of playing time available, and if you know Geno's history, starters get the bulk of playing time. Furthermore, Aubrey and Caroline will demand PT, filling in various roles and positions as well.

So, unless the team is in a blowout, I am having a hard time seeing where minutes come for the incoming freshmen, other than Jana & Ice Brady (essentially a freshman since she missed this season). The center or "5" spot, replacing Dorka is the most pressing position to fill for next year with the caveat that everyone will be healthy.

Reaction Score
The ESPN write up for KK being in the McDonald's All American game clearly indicates why she's an elite PG recruit.

i

Kamorea Arnold, PG​

Arnold is an intense, physical and energetic point guard who sets the tone defensively with ball pressure. She excels in the open court with her speed and ability to push the ball and change pace, which creates instant offense and leads to paint touches and opportunities at the rim. Over her high school career, she improved her perimeter shooting, which has added a new dynamic to her game. She brings the hate-to-lose mentality that is requisite for the elite at the next level. Arnold is averaging 23.2 points, 6.8 rebounds, and 7.4 assists per game this season.

did you see the "IF"...? Generally what I share is out of ignorance or vague or tangential.

Reaction Score
I won't use the word haters, but there were plenty that have criticized Nika being the point guard. She did not meet their definition of a point guard. They wanted a shoot first, pass second one. That's not Nika and is never going to be Nika. It's the same mindset that we have to have a 6' 5" or bigger post banger. And by the way, this post player must have a hook shot.

By anyone's standards, Nika has an exceptional year. But we are very spoiled and entitled fan base. We can't accept the defeat. So having an exceptional season is not enough.

I will say Nika will start as point guard next year. If healthy, Paige and Azzi are the 2 and 3 guards. Then you have Caroline and probably Aubrey ready to come in. It will be extremely difficult for a frosh guard to break into that lineup. That is reality.
No, some of us want to see a pass, shoot, drive, and make FT's point guard. They do exist. Nobody can rationally complain about Nika's hustle, leadership, and toughness. There are other aspects of her game that can be fairly critiqued.

sun

Reaction Score
did you see the "IF"...? Generally what I share is out of ignorance or vague or tangential.
I think that those types of exhibition games can bring out the alpha female persona of some players when they clash.
I doubt that it's anything that we haven't seen from Nika over the last 3 years that so many folks admire about her.
If they like Nika then they should like KK's competitive spirit & talent too.

Last edited:
Reaction Score

i

Kamorea Arnold, PG​

I saw KK and Shade. Was NOT impressed. Neither did anything to stand out like many of the other girls did. KK had 3 fould and a Technical. Shade took one shot and missed. They might have been dynamo's in high school but college at the D-1 level is a totally different animal.

Reaction Score
I suggest a trip to the dictionary for some on this board. As a preview though, You will find that there is a huge difference between “hate”and “criticism”. People who point out the team’s and Nika’s struggles with turnovers this season and comment that Nika is not a “press breaking” PG are not haters. Nika has done a great job this year. I don’t like to think about what would have happened without her.

However, she too has weaknesses and parts of her game that need improvement.
Personally, I was not very surprised by the OSU loss as their strength coincided with our weakness. Of course, we could still have won but some other player/s needed to play well besides Lou. They didn’t and we could not overcome the turnovers and foul trouble on AE.

I’m not sure where some are finding all this”hate” but since I faithfully read virtually everything on the Boneyard, I can only assume you are reading other sources or, more likely, are having yet another hysterical reaction to some (very little that I’ve seen) criticism regarding Nika’s (and the team as a whole) objective struggles against OSU.

As for whether Nika starts at PG next season, the only person who knows that is Geno, and he likely doesn’t know yet either. This team has talent everywhere! I can’t remember a team that had more talent (some of it unproven to be sure) than next season’s roster! Assuming Paige is fully healthy she will be, at the very least, one of the top three PGs (and SGs) in the country. She is better than Nika at very single thing on a basketball court except for defense and it’s not as though she (Paige) is a huge defensive liability either!

Azzi (healthy) is arguably the best 2 in the country, certainly top two or three. Caroline (healthy) essentially carried our team for several games in the dark days of Covid. Aaliyah is likely to be a top three PF next season and we have Ice, Jana, and Amari to plug in at the five. I expect either Ice or Jana (perhaps both) to be solid contributors next year.

On top of that we have backups for some of those players, who could easily be starters! PG-Nika nuff said, Ines, and KK, SG- Paige, Ashlynn, KK, SF/Wing- Aubrey, Quadence, Ashlynn, PF- Ice, Ayanna, Aubrey, Quadence, Center-Ice, Jana, or Amari! Obviously, this is all self-evident to all of us but my point in listing it out is this; we are so talented that anyone on thi team with the exception of Paige, Azzi, and Aaliyah could conceivably be asked to come off the bench next season! Now I’m not saying she will, but to deny the legitimate possibility that Nika could/should come off the bench next season is just silly!

I think it will ultimately be determined largely by three players. If Paige, Azzi, and Caroline show up in November as the best version of themselves, they will start along with Aubrey and Aaliyah. That’s my prediction. If one or more are still not 100%, then it will be “Katy bar the door” and Nika will almost definitely start. Finally, Geno may mix and match according to who we are playing as well.

Nika has already earned her place as a beloved Husky! That will continue to be true whether she starts or not. No one can deny, or wishes to, from what I can tell, that she has been the most influential player this season! However, much of that opportunity came about because of injuries. To deny that is simply denying reality. This would have been a very different year for her (and everyone) if Paige, Azzi, And Caroline had all been 100%! Hopefully, next season will give us a fully healthy roster and we will finally see the answer to the great question of our time; “Who will be UConn’s starting point guard?”

Will it be Nika, will it be Paige?
Here is what Geno says.
Que sera sera, Whatever will be, will be,
The future’s not ours to see,
Que sera sera, what will be, will be!

I wish all my fellow UConn fans all the very best! Have a great, anticipatory off-season, stay healthy and God Bless!
Thanks to Nan and all the moderators for maintaining this site!

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction Score
Not everyone that criticizes is a hater. People use that term a little too freely
Thank you again for pointing this out--regardless of how carefully you provide a constructive critique of players and overall team play, it is labeled as hating by a lot of the BY-ers here. If you simply say that Nika had more TOs than points, which is an immutable fact--it's, why are you hating on Nika? if you say, the team looked rattled against OSU's press--you're reminded what an injury-riddled season it's been and cut them a break...

Reaction Score
When Lou was added to the team, Geno knew what he had and said that players who started last year shouldn't just assume they will start this year (or something to that effect). I'd like to see what KK can do- nothing wrong with a little competition and adding more offense.
Transfers are a bit of a different situation though. In Lou Geno was adding someone with 4 years of college experience. With incoming recruits he's adding players with 4 years of high school experience.

Reaction Score
Nika is a defense oriented PG as opposed to a PG that knows how to be a scorer.
Here's a comparison of Nika to UCLA freshman PG Kiki Rice.

Player - Nika - Kiki
Games-36----36
Avg.
Mins---36.6 --27.9
FGM----84----148
3PT-----37----13
FT-------51---153
PTS-----256--430
PPG
Avg,-----7.1--11.6
RB's-----145--161
PF's------84---85
Ass'ts---284--111
TO's-----127---61
Steals-----50---45
Blocks------5---20

What's evident from these stats is that Kiki knows how to draw fouls and get to the foul line to score points.
Kiki scored an average of 4.5 more points per game while playing 8.7 less minutes per game.
Kiki is only a freshman PG and already knew how to score more points than Nika who is a junior. with 3 years of PG experience.
Plus Kiki committed less than 1/2 the number of TO's.

I don't think your stats really say that to me. Nika was asked to play too many minutes on a team that didn't need her to score. Her assists are way better and she wasn't on a team that required Nika to score while UCLA was a very guard heavy team. Nika has been back to back defensive player of the year in her league so I would say she has done a remarkable job.

Reaction Score
That is true. But 26 turnovers leaves a potential 52 to 78 points on the floor if the TOs are evenn17!9t so that’s 9 less possessions for OSU abd 9 more for us. Our D was actually pretty good that we lost by 12 with Aaliyah on the pine for a lot of the game and lousy foul shooting. The whole team pretty much had a hand in the turnovers.

Also, I know she can make some 3s, but Dorka shooting them with a lot of time left on the clock i would think should have been at best option 3 or 4.

But our disappointing year is most program’s-dream year. I’m rooting fir Iowa. Clark is theur version of Diana. Different style, same impact. Fun to watch.
I agree with your assessment of the turnovers. But watching the game they beat the press a lot of times and then turned the ball over. My disappointment was they didn't attack the rim when they got past the defense. Lost opportunities for fast break points and fouls.

Reaction Score
It didn't take long for the Nika haters to come forth with the premise that we need another PG next year, and it was mostly her fault that we couldn't break the Ohio State press. LOL. Did you guys watch the game? With all the pressure defensives I've seen in all my years, I'm pretty sure one person cannot break a press by themselves. This was a great press by OS, but to break it players have to move towards the ball to get a pass, hell, just move period. Everybody just stood still, waiting for Nika, and any other player to pass the ball to them. Except, nobody did that, just stood around, not giving the ball handler an option.
What's done is done, and I believe in Nika, and for the most part, most of the BYers also do. She will be our PG next year, with Paige and Azzi flanking her for the best backcourt in WBB. How can everyone forget what she accomplished this year, BE DPOY again, breaking Sues assist record, and that's hard to do when the options of good shooters were not abundant. She only missed one game during her concussion protocol, and who knows if she was completely healed. She is a fighter, she is UConn, and no one took losing harder than she did. Don't look at one game, look at the season. For most of the season we depended on 5 players, and they were winners for the most part. All 5 players gave it their all, and Nika ensured that they were dialed in for every game. Next year is her last, and she will be our PG, no question. If some of you still can't see that, then you never will. For most of us, we do see that, and she will IMHO, along with Paige, Azzi, Aubrey, Caroline, and the rest of our crew, bring the NC back to Storrs. God forbid injuries again hit us, and if they don't, we will be hard to stop, and I think we will have the best team since the Stewie years. On to next year, and as always, Go Huskies.

Reaction Score
I see the starters next season as Nika, Paige, Azzi, Aubrey, and Aaliyah. Caroline and Ayanna first off the bench. Maybe Ice overtakes Ayanna at some point in the big rotation, but she's coming in with zero experience while Ayanna has a season under her belt and that counts for a lot when making the high school to college transition.

That starting 5 are a bit small. I’m not sure either Nika or Aubrey will start, but let’s see what happens over the next 8 months.

Reaction Score
No defense of ANY Uconn player is needed. Much less Nika. Great play in a horrible injury prone year. Some think when Paige returns Nika shall sit---think again. Who has the experience, is the assist leader, knows this team, knows the plays, has experience ( I know it's a repeat--meant to be). Paige WAS a higher level player. We'll see--so don't shoot Nika just yet, you never know when she'll be needed.
I love this team. Lou, Dorka bring tears to my eyes thinking they won't be here next season. I can't wait to see IcE and DeBerry or Ms Egypt, Ines, Ayanna, the new kids--my days are speeding by too fast--yet, November seems a long way off!!

Reaction Score
I agree with your assessment of the turnovers. But watching the game they beat the press a lot of times and then turned the ball over. My disappointment was they didn't attack the rim when they got past the defense. Lost opportunities for fast break points and fouls.
ONE time --Dorka made a lay up --after breaking the press. That was the OLD GENO way of taking on a press---make it a lay up contest. All actions of ANY team are not theirs alone--the opponent sometimes determines what they can and cannot do.

Reaction Score
I saw KK and Shade. Was NOT impressed. Neither did anything to stand out like many of the other girls did. KK had 3 fould and a Technical. Shade took one shot and missed. They might have been dynamo's in high school but college at the D-1 level is a totally different animal.
Mikayla Williams was so impressive

Reaction Score
That starting 5 are a bit small. I’m not sure either Nika or Aubrey will start, but let’s see what happens over the next 8 months.
Geno has a penchant for seniority like most coaches, and short of anything crazy happening over the summer (not gonna jinx it), I expect him to continue that tradition. That's about all the thought I put into it.

Huskee11

The Sultan
Reaction Score
I thought the covid year was the year prior to their arrival. when they were freshies, they lost to Arizona and then last year to SC and then this year.
The year before their arrival was 2019-2020. Covid did hit in March 2020. UConn won the AAC title convincingly against Cincinnati on 3/9/2020, ending their AAC experience undefeated over seven seasons, I think. But then everything shut down, no NCAA Tournament.

That was not a vintage UConn team but they were playing very well at the end of the year. I would have liked to have seen what they could have done.

Even though Covid hit at the end of the 2019-2020 season and caused cancellation of the NCAA Tournament, that season counted for eligibility purposes. They had already played a full regular season and most if not all conference tournaments were squeezed in as well.

It was the following season, 2020-2021, that was treated differently in order to encourage players to play in what would prove to be a very challenging season, with no crowds, postponements, cancellations, etc. The NCAA announced the rule for winter sports in October, 2020.

So bottom line, the 2020-2021 freshman season for Paige, Nika, and Aaliyah (when they lost to Arizona) didn`t count against them for eligibility purposes. It was a freebee.

Reaction Score
It didn't take long for the Nika haters to come forth with the premise that we need another PG next year, and it was mostly her fault that we couldn't break the Ohio State press. LOL. Did you guys watch the game? With all the pressure defensives I've seen in all my years, I'm pretty sure one person cannot break a press by themselves. This was a great press by OS, but to break it players have to move towards the ball to get a pass, hell, just move period. Everybody just stood still, waiting for Nika, and any other player to pass the ball to them. Except, nobody did that, just stood around, not giving the ball handler an option.
What's done is done, and I believe in Nika, and for the most part, most of the BYers also do. She will be our PG next year, with Paige and Azzi flanking her for the best backcourt in WBB. How can everyone forget what she accomplished this year, BE DPOY again, breaking Sues assist record, and that's hard to do when the options of good shooters were not abundant. She only missed one game during her concussion protocol, and who knows if she was completely healed. She is a fighter, she is UConn, and no one took losing harder than she did. Don't look at one game, look at the season. For most of the season we depended on 5 players, and they were winners for the most part. All 5 players gave it their all, and Nika ensured that they were dialed in for every game. Next year is her last, and she will be our PG, no question. If some of you still can't see that, then you never will. For most of us, we do see that, and she will IMHO, along with Paige, Azzi, Aubrey, Caroline, and the rest of our crew, bring the NC back to Storrs. God forbid injuries again hit us, and if they don't, we will be hard to stop, and I think we will have the best team since the Stewie years. On to next year, and as always, Go Huskies.
I'm at a loss of where these Nika haters surfaced? The Bald Husky was the initial poster on this thread, and not many subsequent posters followed with a negative Nika attitude.

Perhaps these haters were on other threads.

Reaction Score
The year before their arrival was 2019-2020. Covid did hit in March 2020. UConn won the AAC title convincingly against Cincinnati on 3/9/2020, ending their AAC experience undefeated over seven seasons, I think. But then everything shut down, no NCAA Tournament.

That was not a vintage UConn team but they were playing very well at the end of the year. I would have liked to have seen what they could have done.

Even though Covid hit at the end of the 2019-2020 season and caused cancellation of the NCAA Tournament, that season counted for eligibility purposes. They had already played a full regular season and most if not all conference tournaments were squeezed in as well.

It was the following season, 2020-2021, that was treated differently in order to encourage players to play in what would prove to be a very challenging season, with no crowds, postponements, cancellations, etc. The NCAA announced the rule for winter sports in October, 2020.

So bottom line, the 2020-2021 freshman season for Paige, Nika, and Aaliyah (when they lost to Arizona) didn`t count against them for eligibility purposes. It was a freebee.
Oof, don’t remind of the 2019-20 season, that team just had bad mojo

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ahserve34

Top Bottom