If UH (etal) want to be in Big 12 in 2023, AAC wants another $35 million… | The Boneyard

If UH (etal) want to be in Big 12 in 2023, AAC wants another $35 million…

Reaction Score

-> The American Athletic Conference has asked the University of Houston, Central Florida and Cincinnati to each pay an additional $35 million to leave early for the Big 12, a person with knowledge of the discussions told the Houston Chronicle.

The additional amount is on top of the $10-million exit fee, meaning the three schools would each be on the hook for $45 million to exit in 2023.

UH, UCF and Cincinnati accepted invitations to join the Big 12 last September but are contractually required to remain in the AAC through 2024. <-

-> The source said the AAC has come down in its asking price, but it remains higher than the additional $7 million that Connecticut negotiated for the right to leave early to the Big East in 2019.

AAC commissioner Mike Aresco told the Orlando Sentinel in January that the league would be willing to negotiate a higher exit fee if the schools want to leave early but “the clock’s ticking.” Aresco was hopeful the departure date could be finalized by this spring. <-

Reaction Score
I for one would love to see those programs stay in the AAC which more or less has the same footprint as the SEC. UCF should take note of what is happening to SU and Pitt in the ACC. Of course they are going to scramble after the chum offered by the Big 12 but I'd be really curious to see what the Big 12 would do if Houston, Cincy and UCF stayed in the AAC

Reaction Score
I for one would love to see those programs stay in the AAC which more or less has the same footprint as the SEC. UCF should take note of what is happening to SU and Pitt in the ACC. Of course they are going to scramble after the chum offered by the Big 12 but I'd be really curious to see what the Big 12 would do if Houston, Cincy and UCF stayed in the AAC
WTH? Yes, they should watch Pitt and cuse cash those checks 10x larger than they’d get in AAC and walk away from B12. Chum? We’d grab our ankles for that much chum.

Now, I believe the B12 is the Big East redux, but no way anyone in G5, incl UConn is walking away from a P5 offer.

Reaction Score
WTH? Yes, they should watch Pitt and cuse cash those checks 10x larger than they’d get in AAC and walk away from B12. Chum? We’d grab our ankles for that much chum.

Now, I believe the B12 is the Big East redux, but no way anyone in G5, incl UConn is walking away from a P5 offer.
Yeah, all of those Cincinatti football fans were miserable watching the college football playoff semi-finals because orange fans were busy reconciling SU's checkbook.

Reaction Score
Do you honestly believe those teams are better off in AAC?
I honestly believe college football fans enjoy watching bowl games. Especially when their teams are in them, and not sitting home counting duckets. Do I think Cincy or UCF will be perennial top 10 programs because they will soon be P/G 5, a conference which is well behind the P4, for now? Highly unlikely. We'll see.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score

I actually don’t think UConn would be certain to take a big 12 offer. Without Oklahoma and Texas it’s not as stable a conference and geographically it is a miserable fit for us. Keep in mind that new members aren’t getting a full share. But, yeah, we would jump at either the big 10 or the ACC not that those offers are forthcoming.

Reaction Score
Do you honestly believe those teams are better off in AAC?
To clarify, yes. Aresco has done a great job with the AAC. The Big 12 and the AAC are behind the other P4. After the bs dog and pony show a few years ago, the Big 12 should wither away and die. CIncy, Houston and UCF should say go pound sand. And the AAC could invite the remaining Big 12 stragglers. At least a few of them might accept.

It would never happen but it would be a pleasure to watch if they had any principles.

Reaction Score
To clarify, yes. Aresco has done a great job with the AAC. The Big 12 and the AAC are behind the other P4. After the bs dog and pony show a few years ago, the Big 12 should wither away and die. CIncy, Houston and UCF should say go pound sand. And the AAC could invite the remaining Big 12 stragglers. At least a few of them might accept.

It would never happen but it would be a pleasure to watch if they had any principles.
I'm not sure I would describe Aresco as doing a great job with the AAC but he has kept it alive and still has it positioned as the "best of the G5".

Until we see what the new B12 deal is post UT & OK, nobody can definitively say which of the 2 conferences is better.

There has been speculation, amongst talking heads & media people, that the B12 haircut will not be down to AAC levels. If the B12 is able to keep their T1 & T2 payouts (B12 schools currently own their own T3 rights) in the $20+MM range it will clearly be #5 in the pecking order and would be the obvious choice for Cinci, Houston, UCF and any other schools when compared to the AAC payout

Reaction Score

there are no principles when it comes to conference realignment

Reaction Score
I'm not sure I would describe Aresco as doing a great job with the AAC but he has kept it alive and still has it positioned as the "best of the G5".

Until we see what the new B12 deal is post UT & OK, nobody can definitively say which of the 2 conferences is better.

There has been speculation, amongst talking heads & media people, that the B12 haircut will not be down to AAC levels. If the B12 is able to keep their T1 & T2 payouts (B12 schools currently own their own T3 rights) in the $20+MM range it will clearly be #5 in the pecking order and would be the obvious choice for Cinci, Houston, UCF and any other schools when compared to the AAC payout
Chicken and the egg. If the AAC schools held fast, then the haircut for the Big 12, if it would have even survived, would be steeper.

Aresco has done an amazing job given the environment. I think it's a shame programs bail to join a conference which pissed on them just a few years ago when said conference is up against the ropes. Bring some of those Big 12 programs to the 16-20 member AAC and it's a player.

Of course it wouldn't happen, but it should. Look at all the programs the Big 12 lost during CR. Stick a fork in it already.

Reaction Score
Chicken and the egg. If the AAC schools held fast, then the haircut for the Big 12, if it would have even survived, would be steeper.

Aresco has done an amazing job given the environment. I think it's a shame programs bail to join a conference which pissed on them just a few years ago when said conference is up against the ropes. Bring some of those Big 12 programs to the 16-20 member AAC and it's a player.

Of course it wouldn't happen, but it should. Look at all the programs the Big 12 lost during CR. Stick a fork in it already.

Aresco tried to make a move & lost. Trying to lure schools by saying "come make less money & be behind a pay wall" was not exactly a tempting sales pitch.

The only reason the B12 schools stayed together is because there will be more money there compared to AAC payouts.

Reaction Score

Aresco tried to make a move & lost. Trying to lure schools by saying "come make less money & be behind a pay wall" was not exactly a tempting sales pitch.

The only reason the B12 schools stayed together is because there will be more money there compared to AAC payouts.
We'll never know what could have been. The AAC is already in Florida, North Carolina, Ohio, Texas, Penn, Tennessee, Texas, Oklahoma, Kansas. Add a few more Texas, Oklahoma, Kansas and West Virginia schools and that's where it's at. If the Big 12 folds the AAC is the 5th P5.

CL82

Reaction Score
We'll never know what could have been. The AAC is already in Florida, North Carolina, Ohio, Texas, Penn, Tennessee, Texas, Oklahoma, Kansas. Add a few more Texas, Oklahoma, Kansas and West Virginia schools and that's where it's at. If the Big 12 folds the AAC is the 5th P5.
Is there a rule that there has to be five power conferences? If the big 12 falls the American is still on the outside looking in.

Reaction Score
Is there a rule that there has to be five power conferences? If the big 12 falls the American is still on the outside looking in.
If the Big 12 were mostly folded into the AAC then the biggest difference between it and the ACC would be the 2nd letter.

CL82

Reaction Score
If the Big 12 were mostly folded into the AAC then the biggest difference between it and the ACC would be the 2nd letter.
But why would it be?

Reaction Score
The issue the AAC has is rejection of the remaining small brands. ECU, Tulsa, Tulane, Temple etc. just don’t have the cache of Texas Tech and Baylor. By having UCF, Cincy and Houston join the B12, networks avoid paying for schools they just don’t want to pay much for and get the schools that have decent value and strong on field performance.

I assure you Cincy and Co. want to join the B12, they don’t want the B12 schools to join them in the AAC.

Reaction Score
which is also why they are essentially adding double inventory to replace the remaining brands. They are hoping to retain the value on their TV deal by adding quantity to replace the quality they lost (and then splitting the three shares that are left behind six ways to keep existing members "whole").

Reaction Score
Yep the bottom of the leagues is the huge differentiator. There's no arguing that Cincinnati, Houston, UCF, Memphis, SMU are solid in the major sports. It's when you get to the bottom where the major difference lies. It's hard to even identify the bottom of the Big 12. Kansas in football, but a blue blood in hoops. Kansas State or WVU maybe?

The AAC bottom is always pretty awful. Four teams out of the top 105 in hoops this year (Temple, Tulsa, ECU, USF.) The bottom in football changes year of year but it's usually pretty bad. The new Big 12 will be solid across the board in the four most important sports (Both hoops, FB, baseball.)

Reaction Score

-> Aresco said Saturday – a day after the Cincinnati men's basketball team lost to top-seeded Houston in the second round of the AAC Tournament – he and Cunningham met Friday and are trying to reach a "financial settlement."

We're trying to do it amicably," Aresco said.

Cunningham confirmed to The Enquirer that he and Aresco spoke about the date of UC's exit from the American and will continue to try to reach a settlement.

The AAC has an exit fee of $10 million and requires its members to give a 27-month notice of departure. If a school leaves before 27 months, the exit fee increases to a negotiated amount.

"If we don't get there (reach a settlement), then we will just say fine," Aresco said. "We'll stop the negotiations and you can just stay until July 1, 2024, which they've said they would do if we ultimately can't reach an agreement. I'm hoping we can, if in fact they want to leave (before July 1, 2024), and it does appear that they do. It appears that the Big 12 would be willing to take them in 2023-24. But the Big 12 has made the point that they're not taking them unless they have a right to go." <-

Reaction Score

-> Aresco said Saturday – a day after the Cincinnati men's basketball team lost to top-seeded Houston in the second round of the AAC Tournament – he and Cunningham met Friday and are trying to reach a "financial settlement."

Cunningham confirmed to The Enquirer that he and Aresco spoke about the date of UC's exit from the American and will continue to try to reach a settlement.

The AAC has an exit fee of $10 million and requires its members to give a 27-month notice of departure. If a school leaves before 27 months, the exit fee increases to a negotiated amount.

"If we don't get there (reach a settlement), then we will just say fine," Aresco said. "We'll stop the negotiations and you can just stay until July 1, 2024, which they've said they would do if we ultimately can't reach an agreement. I'm hoping we can, if in fact they want to leave (before July 1, 2024), and it does appear that they do. It appears that the Big 12 would be willing to take them in 2023-24. But the Big 12 has made the point that they're not taking them unless they have a right to go." <-
It's all posturing. Neither side wants to end up in the C-USA situation. It'll be settled before the 2022 football season starts.

Reaction Score

The AAC should be negotiating for all it can get. That or let them stay the 2.25 years.

who's this @NoMansLand dude?

Reaction Score
The AAC should be negotiating for all it can get. That or let them stay the 2.25 years.

who's this @NoMansLand dude?
It's only a couple extra months.... not an additional 2.25 years. The new Big 12 schools want to enter in July 2023 but the AAC requires 27 months notice. 27 month notice is the beginning of 2024.

Reaction Score
It's only a couple extra months.... not an additional 2.25 years. The new Big 12 schools want to enter in July 2023 but the AAC requires 27 months notice. 27 month notice is the beginning of 2024.
I'm quoting the contract and if they want to leave before the terms of the contract, pay up. 27/12 = 2.25

"The AAC has an exit fee of $10 million and requires its members to give a 27-month notice of departure. If a school leaves before 27 months, the exit fee increases to a negotiated amount."

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom