If the media considers the Big 12 a P5 league after the moves are made... | The Boneyard

If the media considers the Big 12 a P5 league after the moves are made...

shizzle787

King Shizzle DCCLXXXVII of the Cesspool
Reaction Score
I am starting to warm on the idea of quietly putting our name in the hat if the league further expands to 14. I thoroughly enjoy being in the Big East for Olympic sports, and I enjoy our football schedule, but I feel that our reluctance to reach out to the Big 12 this go around was due to the fact that we didn't think it would continue to be a power league. If it does continue to be a power league (like the Big East was post-Miami) and they do decide to expand, I think we should entertain a move.

The only viable candidates in my opinion would be the following:
UConn
Boise State
Memphis
USF
SMU
Colorado State

Each of the six has its worts but I think ultimately if we make a push it would be us and USF.

I don't think the league will stomach Boise State and Memphis academically. There is a reason both got left behind.

SMU is in the same footprint as TCU. Unless Texas politics come into play, I don't see it.

Colorado State just doesn't move the needle nationally.

That leaves us and USF. We both have played in a power league before. We would be the best school academically in the league, and the league's footprint would further push eastward.
We arguably have the best athletic department of anybody either in the league or as a candidate, and we have proven we can win in football in a power league.

West: BYU, Texas Tech, TCU, Baylor, Houston, Oklahoma State, Iowa State
East: UConn, WVU, Cincy, UCF, USF, Kansas, Kansas State

Reaction Score
If the conference was stable I wouldn’t mind joining them. Problem is West Virginia would bolt for the ACC or the SEC if presented the opportunity. Kansas and Iowa State would go to the Big Ten in a heartbeat. BYU would go to the PAC 12 if invited.

it would be a tough and interesting decision to make for our athletic department if we were invited.

geordi

Patriotism is the last refuge of a scoundrel
Reaction Score
Yep! It's fun to speculate. ----- However, when are you guys going to realize that the basic reason for leaving the AAC in the first place was financial. We were staring at a +$40 million deficit every year. With the new AAC contract negotiations, the deficit was going to be larger. Even now, in the Big East and Independent football, we are still facing at least a $30-40M deficit (not to mention continued payouts for leaving the AAC). If we were to join the Big 12, one of two things would happen. Joining for football only would likely mean maybe a $12-15M payout if we were lucky (because we'd only be getting a football share) - not enough to cover the deficit. If we joined for all sports, we are still looking at, what, twice that hopefully? Again not enough. AND we'd be facing another 10 years of payouts to the Big East. Basketball suffers because of the rivalries and travel costs go through the roof.

Let's be reasonable. UConn is never going to compete for a national championship in football. Not even close. Likely the best we can hope for is an occasional Top 25 ranking. We are coming up with decent schedules for football now and they appear to get better as we move down that path.

Financially, any move is a not starter. Sometimes you have to accept who you are. I like who we are.

Reaction Score
If the conference was stable I wouldn’t mind joining them. Problem is West Virginia would bolt for the ACC or the SEC if presented the opportunity. Kansas and Iowa State would go to the Big Ten in a heartbeat. BYU would go to the PAC 12 if invited.

it would be a tough and interesting decision to make for our athletic department if we were invited.

What evidence is there that any of these other leagues want those Big 12 schools? Maybe the ACC needs a 16th member someday but why on earth would the Big Ten need Kansas and Iowa State? The Pac 12 has Utah already. They need BYU? Oklahoma St? Why? I better never hear the words Football drives the bus if Kansas gets invited anywhere.

shizzle787

Reaction Score

Something cataclysmic would need to happen for the Pac-12 to invite BYU. Iowa State will never be in the B1G, and the SEC will never invite WVU. If the B1G/SEC raid the ACC for 4+ schools in about a decade, us and WVU would likely be the first two backfills.

shizzle787

Reaction Score
Yep! It's fun to speculate. ----- However, when are you guys going to realize that the basic reason for leaving the AAC in the first place was financial. We were staring at a +$40 million deficit every year. With the new AAC contract negotiations, the deficit was going to be larger. Even now, in the Big East and Independent football, we are still facing at least a $30-40M deficit (not to mention continued payouts for leaving the AAC). If we were to join the Big 12, one of two things would happen. Joining for football only would likely mean maybe a $12-15M payout if we were lucky (because we'd only be getting a football share) - not enough to cover the deficit. If we joined for all sports, we are still looking at, what, twice that hopefully? Again not enough. AND we'd be facing another 10 years of payouts to the Big East. Basketball suffers because of the rivalries and travel costs go through the roof.

Let's be reasonable. UConn is never going to compete for a national championship in football. Not even close. Likely the best we can hope for is an occasional Top 25 ranking. We are coming up with decent schedules for football now and they appear to get better as we move down that path.

Financially, any move is a not starter. Sometimes you have to accept who you are. I like who we are.
I do not agree with your financial math. We would easily see an increase of 10 million + in TV revenue (probably closer to 15-20 million more) and our travel costs would go up 2-3 million. That is a net gain of 8-18 million potentially. My one fear is recruiting for basketball, but being in a league with WVU, Kansas, Cincy, and OSU is not going to hurt us.

Reaction Score
I am starting to warm on the idea of quietly putting our name in the hat if the league further expands to 14. I thoroughly enjoy being in the Big East for Olympic sports, and I enjoy our football schedule, but I feel that our reluctance to reach out to the Big 12 this go around was due to the fact that we didn't think it would continue to be a power league. If it does continue to be a power league (like the Big East was post-Miami) and they do decide to expand, I think we should entertain a move.

UConn
Boise State
Memphis
USF
SMU
Colorado State

Each of the six has its worts but I think ultimately if we make a push it would be us and USF.

I don't think the league will stomach Boise State and Memphis academically. There is a reason both got left behind.

SMU is in the same footprint as TCU. Unless Texas politics come into play, I don't see it.

That leaves us and USF. We both have played in a power league before. We would be the best school academically in the league, and the league's footprint would further push eastward.
We arguably have the best athletic department of anybody either in the league or as a candidate, and we have proven we can win in football in a power league.

They are talking San Diego State as West option. Also, I can’t see Tulane not being an option given the market and location. These guys are definitely moving from “good football history” as the driving consideration to market, location and brand recognition. The smart P5 money realizes revenue fixes bad football and can turn any program into a credible product.

Reaction Score
LOL. The same amount of evidence that the Big 12 would want us.
Winning more friends. Let me try to help you.

Socially adjusted Business Lawyer: “I’m not convinced the B12 would be attracted to UConn. Why do think they would be?”

storrsroars

Exiled in Pittsburgh
Reaction Score
What I don't really understand this week is how Cincy, after beating Navy by only 7, moves up two spots to #2 in the AP poll, while Oklahoma dropped a spot down to #4 after beating Kansas by 12. Both Navy and Kansas are 1-6. Could it be that the perception of the American is better than the B12?

shizzle787

Reaction Score
They are talking San Diego State as West option. Also, I can’t see Tulane not being an option given the market and location. These guys are definitely moving from “good football history” as the driving consideration to market, location and brand recognition. The smart P5 money realizes revenue fixes bad football and can turn any program into a credible product.
San Diego State and Tulane don’t move the needle nationally. SDSU is undefeated and no one is talking about them. We get more press and we lost to an FCS school.

Reaction Score

If we were in the B12 and competitive in football. We might be in line for the B10. And I would bolt in a heartbeat.

Reaction Score
San Diego State and Tulane don’t move the needle nationally. SDSU is undefeated and no one is talking about them. We get more press and we lost to an FCS school.
SDSU makes no sense to me either. I could see Tulane. Most forget they were an SEC team long ago and their market has incredibly strong potential. With Memphis, UCF, Houston and Tulane there is a strong regional cluster. With Cincy and West Virginia, Memphis there is also a strong regional cluster. The problem with Boise State is they are out in no man’s land with and they just provide a regional partner to BYU.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
The new B12 won't last pasr 2026.

shizzle787

Reaction Score
SDSU makes no sense to me either. I could see Tulane. Most forget they were an SEC team long ago and their market has incredibly strong potential. With Memphis, UCF, Houston and Tulane there is a strong regional cluster. With Cincy and West Virginia, Memphis there is also a strong regional cluster. The problem with Boise State is they are out in no man’s land with and they just provide a regional partner to BYU.
The markets play is the reason C-USA may not exist in a week. The AAC is making the same mistake.

Reaction Score
If we were in the B12 and competitive in football. We might be in line for the B10. And I would bolt in a heartbeat.
That‘s a great point
I don’t see the B1G as the only comparable partner is Kansas ,but the ACC taking us and WVA / Cinncy
is real doable.

Reaction Score
What I don't really understand this week is how Cincy, after beating Navy by only 7, moves up two spots to #2 in the AP poll, while Oklahoma dropped a spot down to #4 after beating Kansas by 12. Both Navy and Kansas are 1-6. Could it be that the perception of the American is better than the B12?
They were already #2?

Reaction Score

UConn
Boise State
Memphis
USF
SMU
Colorado State

I don’t think the will be P5 for very long if at all.

The Big East kept its status because Mike Tranghese was able to convince the other BCS conferences that they should keep the BCS bid. Basically they kept it because it was in the contract.

The Big 12 has no such advantage. They will be on the outside looking in. The P4 are really predatory. They want to limit the mouths fed not sustain them.

Reaction Score
If that were the case they would have expanded already and added Big 12 schools not publicly and privately support and protect the Big 12. They would be lauding the SEC not chastising them for raiding a P5. The AQ status is also in the contract.

Reaction Score
Winning more friends. Let me try to help you.

Socially adjusted Business Lawyer: “I’m not convinced the B12 would be attracted to UConn. Why do think they would be?”
Given our current football situation zero
Let’s just assume football although not a powerhouse was constantly in the top 5 AAC schools. Going to bowls annually
The B12 just suffered a huge hit to its fan base
Expanding to the NorthEast adds millions of new fans .
and it could be a net neutral effect on their media deal.
That’s huge.
If I’m selling that’s my pitch.

Reaction Score
If that were the case they would have expanded already and added Big 12 schools not publicly and privately support and protect the Big 12. They would be lauding the SEC not chastising them for raiding a P5. The AQ status is also in the contract.

The Big 12 is a forgettable menagerie of malformed inbred hayseed schools in flyover country that nobody, I mean nobody cares about outside of their markets.

Look up the history of the old Big East. Enjoy the ride as you circle the drain into irrelevance.

Nobody chastised the SEC outside of STILLWATER.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HassanDawg

Top Bottom