If Polley isn’t making three’s, what good is he on the floor? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

If Polley isn’t making three’s, what good is he on the floor?

Reaction Score
If there was a sarcasm bot, it would replace like 90% of the BY. Just need a crazy optimism bot, an overreaction bot, and Syracuse Canada joke bot to fill in the last 10%.

Whatch you talkin bot Willis?

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
mr polley is a serviceable 'go out there and drain some 3s' guy. boarding or shot blocking or handling or dishing or defending? notsomuch. twas ever thus. four years, and counting.

Reaction Score
He’s terrible at defense and doesn’t rebound. He was constantly getting beat by his man. Sanogo should’ve been in over him in the second half
Polley was playing D on the perimeter trying to guard a small. Obviously a mismatch.
They weren’t a very good shooting team so someone needed to help him.
It was Polley that beat his man drew a defender then hit Martin with the pass he got hammered on and missed the two free throws.
Frankly by the end of the first half I got the feeling they were out working us and thought we we extremely lucky to be up.
The Johnies interior defense was the best we have seen. You beat them with good outside shooting which wasn’t there today.

Reaction Score
Whatch you talkin bot Willis?
Gotta use the new GIF creator for this.

Confused Gary Coleman GIF

Reaction Score
I've been a big supporter of Polley, and will continue to be, but . . . he did not look good today. Defense was suspect, only 1 board, no impact on the game.
In his defense, after St. John's mysteriously decided to see, five times, whether Cole could shoot the 3 when left alone, St. John's was stingy with their defense and did not give up many open 3s. They certainly were draped all over Polley, who didn't work hard enough to create separation.

On the other hand, if Bouk was in this game, he darn well may have had 50, with 25 or so from the line, and that would have opened everything up.

Kudos to the Johnies - they outplayed us, and played great D.

We missed 6 or more bunnies, had 6 or more terrible turnovers, and missed a few frees late.

Tough loss, but our loss total is now what? 3 points? We'll get there.
Your statement that Polley didn't work had enough to create separation tells it all. That is something he can do if he wants to. It's an effort thing.

And, I have said it before...he does have a decent handle so he should be able to dribble and take as shot when defended.

Reaction Score
Honestly, to make a post like this about our future NBA player/Duncan Robinson clone is offensive......

I guess this passes for snark but, if anything, it reaffirms how psycho this place is to see that there's a thread talking about "why is this kid on the floor" when a week ago the armchair GMs were talking about his place in the NBA.

I get the sense that, Bouknight excepted, it's going to be like this on a game to game basis. Tyrese Martin has gone from stud to bum and back again more times than I can count.

Reaction Score
I guess this passes for snark but, if anything, it reaffirms how psycho this place is to see that there's a thread talking about "why is this kid on the floor" when a week ago the armchair GMs were talking about his place in the NBA.

I get the sense that, Bouknight excepted, it's going to be like this on a game to game basis. Tyrese Martin has gone from stud to bum and back again more times than I can count.
That’s why I said it. I do believe he is a good player for what he does. But I also find it comical that pending in the week, it’s either Polley the future NBA starter/potential top 20 pick to Polley the worst player on the floor if he don’t drop one

Reaction Score
That’s why I said it. I do believe he is a good player for what he does. But I also find it comical that pending in the week, it’s either Polley the future NBA starter/potential top 20 pick to Polley the worst player on the floor if he don’t drop one
Maybe it is kind of a bipolar thing. Like the highs and then the lows from the crash when he has a lousy, non-productive game. ? , then ☹️

The over-optimism, where many were Pollyannish or Polleyannish. ?

Defined:

Although the tendency to be optimistic and find the silver lining is no doubt a desirable trait—and one that imparts benefits to our health and well-being to boot—to be a “Pollyanna” is generally not considered to be a good thing. ... “An excessively cheerful or optimistic person” (emphasis added).

FWIW

Reaction Score
He’s terrible at defense and doesn’t rebound. He was constantly getting beat by his man. Sanogo should’ve been in over him in the second half
Hurley didn’t gameplan well or adjust well. Ty Polley should be our closer because he knows how to close. Our point guards never set up guys in position to score. That is the big problem.

On the last play he made the drive from the 3 point line and hit Martin for a perfect pass where he proceeded to miss easy layup and the 2 free throws. That was the ball game.

You can’t expect a 6’9 guy like Polley to match up with 6’2 guards on defense. Polley needs to guard opposing 4’s.

The only guy who can be trusted outside of Bouk to close games out is Polley.

We don’t have the foot speed or breakdown ability from our players to play 5 out on offense or defense. We need to play with 2 bigs and Dagger Trey Ty at the same time most minutes.

PS: Gaff needs to be out there late in games for free throw shooting. There is no subsitute for good free throw shooters.

PS: We have lost two games thanks to Cole and Martin late. Cole is Sterling Gibbs 2.0.

Reaction Score
I would say attack the basket but...
1. Cole can’t drive.
2. Polley can’t drive.
3. Martin can drive but will miss the layup and FTs.
4. Whaley can’t drive.
5. Adams was doing something idk what.

So in reality it was maybe the highest percentage chance we had to score - but I hate the play call.
Cole can drive but he normally is just hoping to get fouled. LOL! Cole and Martin are frustrating to watch beat their man and then put up some silly shot that has no way of going in. Frustrating we only have one finisher on the team and he is injured.

Reaction Score
mr polley is a serviceable 'go out there and drain some 3s' guy. boarding or shot blocking or handling or dishing or defending? notsomuch. twas ever thus. four years, and counting.
I have a feeling this is what most people think. I'm certainly no great basketball mind, but when I think about Tyler, I always goes back to his best game last season which was the last game prior to the injury and the reason was because he was very active in the paint and on the boards. He had 11 rebounds and most of them were offensive, many of which ended in put back baskets.

He appears to have a sweet stroke, and he's shooting about 41% from 3 this year, which is actually pretty good. I understand the idea of him being our knockdown 3 guy, but I'm always wondering if that's not how he should be used. He might be more consistent in those other areas you mentioned and impactful if he's not just playing a Knicks era Steve Novak role. He shouldn't just be hanging out in the corner and running curls off screens on the perimeter. He should be pounding the offensive boards, getting tip ins, getting fouled on put backs. He can still shoot 3s when they come naturally in the flow of the game and are available, but maybe shouldn't be the focus. (He still knocked down a couple in the game I referenced when he was open)

I'd rather he have consistent games of 15 pts and 8 reb with only 1 three pointer, than have a few big games a season at 25 pts and 1 reb with 6 threes.

It's also a bit late and I might be talking nonsense.

Reaction Score
Hey Polley is a pretty important piece to this team. We saw what he is capable of and we have no one else, minus Bouk, who can do that. After a couple good games some people got a bit crazy talking NBA, comparing him to NBA players etc etc.. He's not that guy. I mean besides not rebounding too well, when he goes to the basket there needs to be a lane a fairly open one for him to finish. He goes to the basket "small" if there is traffic and it usually ends up being a throw and not a strong take. He gets fouled on occasion thankfully but strong finishes aren't something we've seen very often and need to be in a players repertoire to make the next level.

No matter he's still an important piece to our Huskies now. His defense was better until the injury no doubt but we saw how easily he has been getting beaten off the dribble. If he's going to play 26 minutes and get beat off the dribble 4-5 times badly and only get 1 rebound while not shooting well he played about 10 minute too many which was the case against the Johnnies. But again, need him to make shots. Hardest thing for him is there's no Bouk so they will lean on him defensively, no one else on the perimeter will scare our opponents. And our guards don't see things well so when he actually is open at times they're not looking his way. weird team, strange player but he's a good kid, need him to make shots to have a chance bottom line.

Reaction Score
I haven't read the thread. But the obvious answer is that even when he isn't making shots, the spacing he provides is invaluable--especially when every healthy guard we have is dribble-drive deficient.

ColchVEGAS

Still buckin like five, deuce, four, trey.
Reaction Score
While Polley's stat lines tend to have zeros everywhere other than points you need him on the floor for spacing. When he is out there the defense cannot leave him alone because when he is set he is very dangerous. The other guys have to finish at the hoop otherwise the extra spacing awarded by playing him is useless.

Reaction Score
Polley has the ability to take over a game and win it for the Huskies.

The original poster is upset he doesn't do it every game.

Reaction Score
While Polley's stat lines tend to have zeros everywhere other than points you need him on the floor for spacing. When he is out there the defense cannot leave him alone because when he is set he is very dangerous. The other guys have to finish at the hoop otherwise the extra spacing awarded by playing him is useless.

Those like you who have discussed spacing on the offensive end certainly makes sense. Then you add finishing at the hoop becomes important, no doubt. There was one guy last game who could and was finishing at the hoop and didn't play that last 12 minutes. So at that point the "spacing" was wasted. And let's be honest while I totally agree with his ability to create space for others even when not shooting well because the opponents know he can go off, his inability to guard or rebound was more inpactful than opening things up for others on offense so 26 minutes was too many. I will give him one good look to Martin for the big 3, but again compared to little else?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom