If Geno had not taken the job as head coach of UConn, who was Connecticut’s next choice? | The Boneyard

If Geno had not taken the job as head coach of UConn, who was Connecticut’s next choice?

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
None other than our own Chris Dailey!

I link is to a good Courant article on CDs contribution to the program. And it’s a good read. Geno is effusive in his praise, (but he still refers to Chris as “assistant coach” rather than associate head coach.)

It’s interesting to wonder what Connecticut basketball might look like if 26-year-old Chris Dailey had taken over the program. CD brings in attention to detail and organization, but Geno brings an emphasis on perfection. That combination has been formidable.

Reaction Score
One other ingredient is needed besides the exacting attention of CD and the sarcastic autocratic drive to perfection from Geno. The girls need the uncomplicated friendship they get from Jamelle. They all bond with her early on and it really matters.

Reaction Score
I wanted to say that
Without Chris Dailey I don't think UConn would have been nearly so successful. Geno has been very fortunate to have had someone like Chris. Among other things, she played the game, and played it well.
I get tired of hearing about Chris' organization and attention to detail. Not enough is said, including from Geno himself, about her actual coaching. Bascom,Lobo,Wolters, and Elliot were so critical to UConn early successes, and I choose to believe that Chris was most instrumental in their development. After all, she was a very good player in the women's game at Rutgers, not just some CYO player.

Reaction Score
I have posted several times when relevant that I met Chris Dailey several times and got to know her a little bit when I was coaching HS in Jersey and she was at Rutgers. I have no idea what she has done tangibly at Uconn but I can guarantee she knows the game thoroughly forward and backward. She is the reason I started following Uconn WBB from afar and my interest slowly evolved and grew through the years as I admired the ability Auriemma and she had to blend great players into playing to be key, integral parts of great teams.

Blakeon18

Dormie
Reaction Score
Hmmm...we know that Geno's first 'recruiting bonanza' was hiring CD in his first
few days on the job. If CD had been hired as head coach would she have
offered the assistant job to Geno? Probably not...would be an awkward situation
given that he would have just turned down the #1 job offer from UConn.

Reaction Score
I heard that it was such a close decision that a tie breaker had to be used to chose between them. The candidate with the best hair was selected to be the head coach.

Reaction Score
I heard it was Abe Lincoln but he already had a job. I don't know who it was but they made the right choice. I will say the person you have coaching with you is absolutely the most important coaching decision you ever make. I didn't really follow CD early on but it is clear they have an incredible chemistry and neither of them would be where they are today without the other.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Geno wasn't the first choice - can't remember the Lady's name, but she had much more experience and wanted much more money. Geno was the dirt cheap option!

Reaction Score
Here's a good article written in 1999 (before they both became basketball gods) that chronicles the beginnings of both Geno & Calhoun, how they were recruited to UConn, how they began to recruit, etc. Interesting to see things written from that perspective: Geno & Calhoun - the beginnings

Reaction Score
An interesting question but since we are talking about an offer that was made to Auriemma some 38/39 years ago really covers it all. Think about if an experienced head coach had been targeted he/she would likely have been older, probably would have retired by now. If you know who made the decision to hire Geno why not ask him who was the alternate choice. If the person responsible for the hire is still among us find him and ask. And why not take great joy that the offer went to Geno, that he took it, and he brought CD on board right from the get go. All the assistants that he has had over the years have all played important parts and it was good to have them.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Geno wasn't the first choice - can't remember the Lady's name, but she had much more experience and wanted much more money. Geno was the dirt cheap option!
I never heard this.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
Which one and why?
Wouldn't matter. The AD would call the HS Principal and say send us your boy's head coach. Principal says: "Don't you want to know his name." AD would say: "He can tell me when he gets here.

A one-liner should never be dissected. Yours was good too.

Reaction Score
I think it was Nancy Darsch ended up choosing Ohio State.

Reaction Score
I think it was Nancy Darsch ended up choosing Ohio State.
Don't know about the "much more experience" but after 1985-1995 I think at OSU she went to the pros , She passed away in 2020 from Parkinson's at 68

Reaction Score
Don't know about the "much more experience" but after 1985-1995 I think at OSU she went to the pros , She passed away in 2020 from Parkinson's at 68
Interesting if it was Nancy Darsch, a fellow alumn of Springfield College, because she was an assistant with Pat Summit at the time. Had a very good 10 years at OSU, losing to Texas Tech and Sreyl Swoopes, in the 1993 final. She coached Katie Smith there. Was a HC in the WNBA, and an assistant at Seattle .

ctfjr

Life is short, ride hard
Reaction Score
It's a basketball TEAM and a coaching TEAM

Reaction Score
I'm guessing one of the Boneyard coaches. Surprised more schools don't fish here! :)

Reaction Score
The real question is who's going to be the next head coach. I'm not ready for Geno to leave the stage but If it's not over until the fat lady sings then they'd better start looking now because the band is warming up and the fat lady is telling them what she's singing.

Reaction Score
I think that Geno opened up following the passing of his mom to life goes on without people we have adored for so long. And the ache in his heart will never go away but drawing on a bit of a lyric from a great Willie Nelson song - When we lose someone we love it's not something we get over, but it's something we get through. Where he stressed about the injuries and the losses maybe retirement crept into his thinking but after losing Mom I believe he can now refocus without the stress. Barring health issues of his own I don't think he'll be moving on anytime soon. And for Husky nation that's a good thing!!!!

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom