Ice on Fire | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Ice on Fire

Reaction Score
I am guessing that you think that Ice may break into the starting lineup so as much as I hate to contribute to another "starting lineup" prognostication thread, who is she going to replace? Especially when no one here has any idea what the lineup will look like when the season starts.
Hahaha! You started a lineup thread!! And you know me, there's nothing I like better than prognosticating. Who did Aaliyah displace two seasons ago? Aubrey, Evina and Anna? That was an easier get, I suppose, since Aaliyah's physicality and toughness was so much greater than the others.

If I had to guess (hahahahahahahaha!) I'd suppose that Dorka might benefit from coming off the bench late in the season. Oh, I can't stop there -- picture a rotation that starts Ice and Aaliyah, and then Dorka enters in the 2nd Q and they keep the three bigs on the floor for a few minutes, and then sub in Aubrey for Ice, Nika for Aaliyah for the remainder of the half and the smaller lineup runs opponents ragged until halftime.

yeah, yeah, it's fantasy, whatever. Now it's your turn. What's your fantasy?

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
Hahaha! You started a lineup thread!! And you know me, there's nothing I like better than prognosticating. Who did Aaliyah displace two seasons ago? Aubrey, Evina and Anna? That was an easier get, I suppose, since Aaliyah's physicality and toughness was so much greater than the others.

If I had to guess (hahahahahahahaha!) I'd suppose that Dorka might benefit from coming off the bench late in the season. Oh, I can't stop there -- picture a rotation that starts Ice and Aaliyah, and then Dorka enters in the 2nd Q and they keep the three bigs on the floor for a few minutes, and then sub in Aubrey for Ice, Nika for Aaliyah for the remainder of the half and the smaller lineup runs opponents ragged until halftime.

yeah, yeah, it's fantasy, whatever. Now it's your turn. What's your fantasy?
I replied to your post in which you "started the prognostication posts" without stating it outright. If you read my post, I said "contribute" because you started it.
My fantasy is no more lineup, minutes and scoring prognostication threads but then that would take away 99% (estimate) of the off season threads...

Reaction Score
I replied to your post in which you "started the prognostication posts" without stating it outright. If you read my post, I said "contribute" because you started it.
My fantasy is no more lineup, minutes and scoring prognostication threads but then that would take away 99% (estimate) of the off season threads...
Fair enough, but you do realize that denying one has started a prognostication thread is the formal way in which one admits to having started a prognostication thread, right? It's practically like saying "Nolo episcopari."

Just sayin'

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
I am guessing that you think that Ice may break into the starting lineup so as much as I hate to contribute to another "starting lineup" prognostication thread, who is she going to replace? Especially when no one here has any idea what the lineup will look like when the season starts.
I have to jump into this. I do think we have a pretty good idea of what the starting lineup will look like on Day 1, particularly up front, where it is likely that Dorka & Aaliyah are UConn’s starting frontcourt. That combination will be exceptionally strong, and not easily displaced.

But if you look back to the start of this past season, how many of us envisioned a scenario where Azzi would replace Evina in the starting lineup. In addition, Geno’s basic offense is a 4-out set which depends largely on having a consistent low post presence who can score with her back to the basket with great efficiency.

UConn hasn’t really had that player since Pheesa graduated. As good as Liv, Dorka & Aaliyah are, none of them are going to score at 60%+ in the low blocks.

I agree with many who compare Ice to Tuck. She works incredibly hard to establish low post position, has soft hands and a quick power move to the basket. While the competition at the FIBA tournament is not nearly at the level that UConn will face this season, it’s clear that Ice has already developed a solid low post game that will only get better once she starts working with UConn’s coaches.

Whether Ice eventually starts or not remains to be seen. But if she develops as we all believe she will, UConn will be a much better team this coming season.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
I have to jump into this. I do think we have a pretty good idea of what the starting lineup will look like on Day 1, particularly up front, where it is likely that Dorka & Aaliyah are UConn’s starting frontcourt. That combination will be exceptionally strong, and not easily displaced.

But if you look back to the start of this past season, how many of us envisioned a scenario where Azzi would replace Evina in the starting lineup. In addition, Geno’s basic offense is a 4-out set which depends largely on having a consistent low post presence who can score with her back to the basket with great efficiency.

UConn hasn’t really had that player since Pheesa graduated. As good as Liv, Dorka & Aaliyah are, none of them are going to score at 60%+ in the low blocks.

I agree with many who compare Ice to Tuck. She works incredibly hard to establish low post position, has soft hands and a quick power move to the basket. While the competition at the FIBA tournament is not nearly at the level that UConn will face this season, it’s clear that Ice has already developed a solid low post game that will only get better once she starts working with UConn’s coaches.

Whether Ice eventually starts or not remains to be seen. But if she develops as we all believe she will, UConn will be a much better team this coming season.
I agree. All yes.

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
Fair enough, but you do realize that denying one has started a prognostication thread is the formal way in which one admits to having started a prognostication thread, right? It's practically like saying "Nolo episcopari."

Just sayin'
Uh, no.
Just sayin'...bye.

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
The two big things that I want to know about Ice are:

1. How "in shape" is she to rebound and run the floor at the pace that will be required?

2. How foul-prone is she?

The answers to those two questions will largely determine her minutes.

Note to @oldude: Evina was replaced in the starting lineup last year by Nika in January, while Azzi was still rehabbing.

JordyG

Reaction Score
The comparisons to Tuck are valid, although Tuck did it with shoulder fakes, it seems Ice does it with quick foot work and smoothness. Both however play with smarts when they get the ball on the block.

I haven't read many of the comments above, but from my reckoning the three players that jump off the screen with this team are Brady, McMahon, and Del Rosario. Brady for her variety around the hoop, her nice hands, good passing, smoothness and smarts. She's no speedster up down the court though. McMahon stands out for her athleticism, good speed, ability to deliver off the bounce in transition and in the quarter court, and her defense. Her shot is highly suspect to say the least, but she, like Brady, play with passion. I like the way Brady gets on the block, demands the ball, while using her body to block out the defender. Ice may however have to work on her diet and conditioning.

Del Rosario stands out by her shortcomings. DR hits the block and stands there like a cornstalk, waving her arms while looking confused. She is by size and (limited) skill set a post. She has a pro body, yet doesn't use her body to set herself. One of the physical benefits great posts can have is a wide backyard. They use that wide frame by sticking that backyard into the defenders stomach, or by putting the defender onto one of their hips. It effect, it's boxing out for offensive positioning. It makes it tough for the defender to maintain position, tough to do a reach around, and tough to front the offensive player. It also makes it tough for the weak side help. You can't teach height, but as I've said before, you can't teach width either. DR has both of these qualities, but doesn't do any of the things I've mentioned on offense. She's also consistently beaten on rebounds because of her failure to find her defender and box out. Moreover to this point I haven't seen a hint of a drop step. These are the kind of things Aliyah Boston could do at the 2017 U16's. These are the things that Lauren Betts showed at the 2021 U19's. Both of these young women also ran the floor better than DR.

However Del Rosario has one very bright and surprising upside: her form on her FT's is beautiful and consistent. I was shocked. That may well mean a natural ability, but it also means she's had the discipline to work on that shot. So it seems the willingness to work hard is there. With a lot of work she could be another Kalani Brown, but to this point she's as raw as hurt feelings. She needs a college coach that will push her in the weight room, push her to change her diet, push her into getting out of the poor conditioning she's in, teach her fundamentals on the block and how to take advantage of her size. At this time though I don't know if UConn is the place for her. As Geno has said many times, UConn is the place you come to be exposed. We've seen how little playing time a far more talented (in every area) Amari DeBerry got last year. At UConn Del Rosario would be lucky to get Piath Gabriel time.

Last edited:

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
The two big things that I want to know about Ice are:

1. How "in shape" is she to rebound and run the floor at the pace that will be required?

2. How foul-prone is she?

The answers to those two questions will largely determine her minutes.

Note to @oldude: Evina was replaced in the starting lineup last year by Nika in January, while Azzi was still rehabbing.
I stand corrected. Subsequently, Azzi got the opportunity to play more as she got healthy and teammates were injured or contracted the virus. Ultimately, when everyone was healthy, Azzi had established herself as a starter over two experienced and talented players: Evina & Nika.

My related point was simply that Ice’s ability to score at a high percentage from the low post will make it very difficult, if not impossible, to keep her off the court, just as it was with Azzi.

Reaction Score
The comparisons to Tuck are valid, although Tuck did it with shoulder fakes, it seems Ice does it with quick foot work and smoothness. Both however play with smarts when they get the ball on the block.

I haven't read many of the comments above, but from my reckoning the three players that jump off the screen with this team are Brady, McMahon, and Del Rosario. Brady for her variety around the hoop, her nice hands, good passing, smoothness and smarts. She's no speedster up down the court though. McMahon stands out for her athleticism, good speed, ability to deliver off the bounce in transition and in the quarter court, and her defense. Her shot is highly suspect to say the least, but she, like Brady, play with passion. I like the way Brady gets on the block, demands the ball, while using her body to block out the defender. Ice may however have to work on her diet and conditioning.

Del Rosario stands out by her shortcomings. DR hits the block and stands there like a cornstalk, waving her arms while looking confused. She is by size and (limited) skill set a post. She has a pro body, yet doesn't use her body to set herself. One of the physical benefits great posts can have is a wide backyard. They use that wide frame by sticking that backyard into the defenders stomach, or by putting the defender onto one of their hips. It effect, it's boxing out for offensive positioning. It makes it tough for the defender to maintain position, tough to do a reach around, and tough to front the offensive player. It also makes it tough for the weak side help. You can't teach height, but as I've said before, you can't teach width either. DR has both of these qualities, but doesn't do any of the things I've mentioned on offense. She's also consistently beaten on rebounds because of her failure to find her defender and box out. Moreover to this point I haven't seen a hint of a drop step. These are the kind of things Aliyah Boston could do at the 2017 U16's. These are the things that Lauren Betts showed at the 2021 U19's. Both of these young women also ran the floor better than DR.

However Del Rosario has one very bright and surprising upside: her form on her FT's is beautiful and consistent. I was shocked. That may well mean a natural ability, but it also means she's had the discipline to work on that shot. So it seems the willingness to work hard is there. With a lot of work she could be another Kalani Brown, but to this point she's as raw as hurt feelings. She needs a college coach that will push her in the weight room, push her to change her diet, push her into getting out of the poor conditioning she's in, teach her fundamentals on the block and how to take advantage of her size. At this time though I don't know if UConn is the place for her. As Geno has said many times, UConn is the place you come to be exposed. We've seen how little playing time a far more talented (in every area) Amari DeBerry got last year. At UConn Del Rosario would be lucky to get Piath Gabriel time.
It appears that the U18 USA team coaches agree with this assessment. Del Rosario with 9;29 minutes in the
U 18 final against Canada with no points and one rebound. Brady had 30:31 minutes and 15 rebounds
( tying the record for USA U 18 Americas Women in rebounds in a game, previously done by Nneka
Ogwumike in 2008 against Argentina.) Del Rosario still has her Senior H.S. year to develop, but she is not
UCONN ready.... maybe TENN?? ( so I've heard on the blog ).

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
We have alot of top 10 players on our roster that earned time last season. They will get more time this season because they've earned it. Caroline Amari are two of them. As the season progress's Ice and Patterson will get more time. Our only seniors are grads in Dorka and Lou. Everybody else comes back. This is a very strong UConn team and will be for a while. They will need to see significant playtime. Ice and Patterson should be ready when Dorka graduates. Amari imo is going to be very good. She has a great outside shot, has the height and has good moves. I think she could surprise alot of folks.

JordyG

Reaction Score
It appears that the U18 USA team coaches agree with this assessment. Del Rosario with 9;29 minutes in the
U 18 final against Canada with no points and one rebound. Brady had 30:31 minutes and 15 rebounds
( tying the record for USA U 18 Americas Women in rebounds in a game, previously done by Nneka
Ogwumike in 2008 against Argentina.) Del Rosario still has her Senior H.S. year to develop, but she is not
UCONN ready.... maybe TENN?? ( so I've heard on the blog ).
Del Rosario needs a well though out and executed remedial action work plan.

Reactions: PvP
Reaction Score
The only thing this tournament has done for us is enhance our opinion of Ice. She was considered so good she drew some doubleteams and still led her team in efficiency.
Ice also lead the USA U18 team in 3 point shot % : 100 % !!
Of course that was one for one, and that "one" was on a pass that
was sent her way as the shot clock was running out. To
Ice's credit she knew it was a " catch and shoot " situation, she had
no choice in the matter, and all she got was the bottom of
the net! Of course "TeamFirst!" comment is very
correct about Ice's need to handle double teams as well as
that 6' 5" lady from Canada. Go Ice! Give Ms. Morrow
of DePaul all she can handle!!

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Ice also lead the USA U18 team in 3 point shot % : 100 % !!
Of course that was one for one, and that "one" was on a pass that
was sent her way as the shot clock was running out. To
Ice's credit she knew it was a " catch and shoot " situation, she had
no choice in the matter, and all she got was the bottom of
the net! Of course "TeamFirst!" comment is very
correct about Ice's need to handle double teams as well as
that 6' 5" lady from Canada. Go Ice! Give Ms. Morrow
of DePaul all she can handle!!
Aneesah Morrow is an American from Chicago and is formidable enough without making her 4” taller.

The Canadian roster:

Last edited:
  • Wow
Reactions: PvP
Reaction Score

Love the lingo, between "cornstalk", how to use a "wide backyard", and "raw as hurt feelings" I chuckled at least three times. I agree with the Brady points and quite a few of Del Rosario ones as well, but I still see in her a recruit worth pursuing. That is mostly because I see a rebounder and a player who will get some easy baskets inside, even if the rest of her game never develops. Maybe she didn't exhibit fundamental boxing out form, but she can learn that, and frankly I suspect most 6-6 high school girls don't pay that much attention to it because at that level they just go for the ball.

Regardless I think she might have been the top rebounder on that team or close to it, even with poor fundamentals, and to me she looks like someone who can at least score from very close range. The possibility of better conditioning means there could be more upside as well. I'm not saying she looks like a top 5 recruit, but something in the 10-15 seems about right to me, and that is good enough to pursue. We are in good shape with 4's and could probably be fine against most teams using a very good 4 at the 5, but when I see twin towers at SC and now Stanford with Betts joining Brink, I think we should take a serious look at any remaining C's this year and next.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom