OT: - Ice Dams | The Boneyard

OT: Ice Dams

temery

What?
Reaction Score
I've had significant damage over the years due to ice dams. The eaves are only a few inches. Now that I've repaired the damage inside, I need to find the best way to prevent future damage.

I see my options as:

1). Roof rake after every storm, which has been difficult.

Or

2). Some like this (click link) - heating cable, gutter de-icer.

Anyone here use the gutter de-icers? Do they work?

Mr. Wonderful

Whistleblower
Reaction Score
I've had significant damage over the years due to ice dams. The eaves are only a few inches. Now that I've repaired the damage inside, I need to find the best way to prevent future damage.

I see my options as:

Or

I've never used gutter de-icers but flamethrowers are cheap and easy to make and are 100% legal.

Reaction Score

I see my options as:

Or

Roof rakes are a PIA. I have one in our Vt place but switched to the cable. Much easier

If u use the cable, be sure u mount them on the shingles securely. We also ran it down the center of the gutter. If you aren’t there to determine when it should be on/off they make plugs with a sensor that will only send power when there is ice/snow so u aren’t heating the roof for no reason

prankster

Twister Member
Reaction Score
prankster recommends moving to Florida.

Over the past 7 years I have had zero problems with ice dams.

Of course I probably cannot completely rule out the impacts attributable to global warming.

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score

I see my options as:

Or

Yes, they work, but in my opinion you’re better off taking off the bottom to 3 feet of shingle putting a gasket that specially made to prevent ice damning in there, re-shingle and not worry about it.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score

I see my options as:

Or

So you never went with the metal roof idea?

Reaction Score
You’d rather reroof than put a little wire on the roof? :eek: Contractors must love u.

Reaction Score
Put some metal on the bottom 2’ like they do in northern New England.

Reaction Score
I’ve got an area between gables that is north facing and becomes a glacier every year. It backed up about 5 years ago and did a lot of damage with a water leak. Tin roof is the best answer but very expensive. Instead I bought two 8ft warming mats, one vertical in the crevice and the other runs just above the gutter line. I also put a gutter warming line in. I connected both to a smart extension chord outlet and have never come close to having a back up. Turn it on from cell phone whenever it starts snowing and nothing accumulates.

Reaction Score
prankster recommends moving to Florida.

Over the past 7 years I have had zero problems with ice dams.

Of course I probably cannot completely rule out the impacts attributable to global warming.
You need electricity to keep them working.

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
You’d rather reroof than put a little wire on the roof? :eek: Contractors must love u.
I'd rather reroof a two - three foot section of the roof and have a permanent solution that requires no ongoing input from me than have a contractor install a heating system that will need to have an electrician run power to heater than I have to remember to turn on and off. I think you'll find it is the preferred solution.

Reaction Score
I'd rather reroof a two - three foot section of the roof and have a permanent solution that requires no ongoing input from me than have a contractor install a heating system that will need to have an electrician run power to heater than I have to remember to turn on and off. I think you'll find it is the preferred solution.
True, as I get older, I realize so many things require on going input from me. Somehow what is pretty seamless effort becomes more of an effort. Anything I can remove from that pile is a plus.

Reaction Score
It’s a good debate. The cost of a metal roof for me was ridiculous to add but even more ridiculous to work into an existing shingled roof. Well over $10k. I looked at it closely and have a good roofing guy. The 2 snow mats and gutter wire were under $500 with a smart home outdoor extension chord. I tuck all the wires behind a drain spout. The app for the smart chord has a timer for auto shut off. They never get hot, just warm so snow doesn’t accumulate and I’ve never seen a big energy draw from them. I’ve read that some people leave them on all winter which sounds crazy to me but whatever. I was also worried they’d look trashy but they’re flat black and blend into the roof well. Turn the timer on when it starts snowing, that morning, etc for a day or two and forget about it.

Reaction Score
If you can, eliminate gutters from your roof. That’s what they normally do in Northern NH. Then you have stone around the house so the water doesn’t hit dirt. You can put something over your doors to divert the water flow.

temery

What?
Reaction Score
If you can, eliminate gutters from your roof. That’s what they normally do in Northern NH. Then you have stone around the house so the water doesn’t hit dirt. You can put something over your doors to divert the water flow.

Ive though about getting an under shingle heater and take the gutters down. If the just unclip that's likely what I'm going to do.

RichZ

Fort the ead!
Reaction Score
Neighbor put on heated gutters and overhang It did stop the problem, but created a new one with bird droppings, The birds would sit on his gutter every snowfall, and leave streaks down the side of the the house.

Reaction Score
Neighbor put on heated gutters and overhang It did stop the problem, but created a new one with bird droppings, The birds would sit on his gutter every snowfall, and leave streaks down the side of the the house.
That’s strange. I thought most birds get out of CT in the winter. I guess the ones that stay like their little asses heated. Like a car seat warmer. Good stuff.

Reaction Score
A few things:

1) Roof rakes are a pita but work
2) A lot of ice dams are due to poor interior insulation
3) typically the ice dams are in specific spots so most folks don’t need to roof rake all parts of the roof
4) Sledge hammers work and i’ve done it on a ladder with 5” of ice built up in the gutter and roof - i ended up ripping off the gutted where it was happening as we have three roof angles that come together and drain - i just said F it two springs ago
5) The heated wires work
6) Metal roof

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
That’s strange. I thought most birds get out of CT in the winter. I guess the ones that stay like their little asses heated. Like a car seat warmer. Good stuff.
Birds migrate from the tundra. This is Miami for juncos, white-throated sparrows and kinglets. And they warm tushes.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
I don’t know why but this made me laugh out loud.
Because the sight of birds having a blow dryer pointed at their butts is funny.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom