I was really looking forward to watching Alterique play tonight until I realized its on ESPN+ | Page 2 | The Boneyard

I was really looking forward to watching Alterique play tonight until I realized its on ESPN+

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
That's a horrendous take from that fan. Marshall is one of the best coaches in the country, he took over a Winthrop program that had never been to the NCAA tournament before and took them to 7 NCAA tournament appearances.
I agree with you and Rayisthegoat that Marshall wasn't just lucky. You can separate someone being a bad person from their other accomplishments. It doesn't mean you are supporting his ongoing employment if you acknowledge that he's a good coach.

But I also find it odd that a Wichita fan would spell his name vanFleet. I'm skeptical how big of a fan that is.

Last edited:

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
That's a horrendous take from that fan. Marshall is one of the best coaches in the country, he took over a Winthrop program that had never been to the NCAA tournament before and took them to 7 NCAA tournament appearances.

I know quite a few Shocker fans, it's just sour grapes and wishful thinking. They want to believe that this isn't a major setback, when it absolutely is. They were good for a stretch before him (McDaniel, Carr etc.), so it's not impossible that they will be again, but it's much harder.

Reaction Score
I know quite a few Shocker fans, it's just sour grapes and wishful thinking. They want to believe that this isn't a major setback, when it absolutely is. They were good for a stretch before him (McDaniel, Carr etc.), so it's not impossible that they will be again, but it's much harder.
When you have Koch money and a decent conference (and for WSU it was a big upgrade), you'll be able to hire a high quality coach. Cincinnati, Memphis, Houston...these are just huge huge upgrades from what they were playing against.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
When you have Koch money and a decent conference (and for WSU it was a big upgrade), you'll be able to hire a high quality coach. Cincinnati, Memphis, Houston...these are just huge huge upgrades from what they were playing against.

Yes, the conference helps them in that way. On the other hand, they aren't going to put up the gaudy records they did in the MVC. They have history, a nice arena and a solid fanbase. They're not dead. But Indiana hasn't set the world on fire since Bobby Knight, so it's not a reach to think they won't feel a negative impact from this unless they get really lucky. Remember UNC under Matt Doherty (I used to play pool against him now and then)? Roy's assistant was so terrible they had to go get Roy.

Reaction Score
Yes, the conference helps them in that way. On the other hand, they aren't going to put up the gaudy records they did in the MVC. They have history, a nice arena and a solid fanbase. They're not dead. But Indiana hasn't set the world on fire since Bobby Knight, so it's not a reach to think they won't feel a negative impact from this unless they get really lucky. Remember UNC under Matt Doherty (I used to play pool against him now and then)? Roy's assistant was so terrible they had to go get Roy.
To be fair, the AAC isn't the B1G. You've basically got a lot of easy wins in the AAC in a way the B1G doesn't offer Indiana.

Even when Rutgers was the worst team in the conference, the RAC was a tough place to play. Nobody says that about Tulane, ECU, USF, ECF, etc. etc.

olehead

Atomic Dogs!
Reaction Score
Agreed, absolutely more than 2 players, and to be honest I’m sure Vanfleet and baker owe a lot of their development to Marshall.

Personally I think Marshall should and will get another coaching opportunity soon. The incidents seem somewhat bad from an outside perspective, but just gotta learn from mistakes and get better from them. I’m sure this was the way he was coached growing up, and sometimes it takes some big incidents to fully realize something isn’t right. I mean, I’ve certainly done things that I regret, but my rationalization at the time was that whatever was the norm in the past and acceptable. I also wonder how much of the incidents were blown out of proportion by a few disgruntled players / teams (which losing or not playing enough minutes is absolutely a catalyst for).
BS take. Players don't exaggerate about this crap. But it is your opinion. Imo, his lesson learned should be to never have authority over young people again.

olehead

Atomic Dogs!
Reaction Score
Shout out to Gene Smithson!

Reaction Score
AG was always a very good player but he couldn't stay healthy. That really hurt his ability to get better. Looks like he is finding his groove. All the best to a kid who gave us everything he had and represented the university with class.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
My wife was making me watch The Bachelorette and one of the contestants bailed on a physical challenge because he “has shoulders that chronically dislocate.” My wife was outraged saying that’s not a real thing. I had to assure it very much is.

Reaction Score
This topic elicits some really annoying and dumb posts. He’s gone. I have no idea why some folks are obsessed with complaining and comparing him to current UConn players. Just be happy for a kid that went through a lot and seems to have found the right situation to put it all together. You don’t always need to make this topic a self-pity party.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
My wife was making me watch The Bachelorette and one of the contestants bailed on a physical challenge because he “has shoulders that chronically dislocate.” My wife was outraged saying that’s not a real thing. I had to assure it very much is.
A roommate of mine in college. One Thursday night the roomie sees a chin-up bar that a guy set up in his doorway. Does one chin-up and he's on the ground (the bar did not give, he let go). On one side, his shoulder was down where his armpit should be and he's in agony yelling for me to put his shoulder back in. I had no clue. "Like this?" I say. That was met with a howl of pain, luckily my next try was successful, I could feel his shoulder click back into place. Turns out it was an old hockey injury. He made a makeshift sling and started drinking with his other arm.

Reaction Score
After the first time my shoulder dislocated it happened twice a year until I finally got it repaired. And every time it just comes out easier.

Reaction Score
+1 on the shoulder thing. Mine has popped out probably a couple hundred times. In high school, it would often dislocate when I raised my hand in class.

Reaction Score
Looking like an All-Conf guard.. Stroking it from long range.. Good for him..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom