I really hate the targeting rule... | The Boneyard

I really hate the targeting rule...

pepband99

Resident TV nerd
Reaction Score
Don’t get me wrong - it’s accomplished what it meant to do - the crossing pattern or midair hits are largely a thing of the past, and that’s largely good.

But the one from last night is completely absurd. If that’s targeting, you should eject every runner who puts his head down, or QB who dives head first.

They really need to refine that rule, and fix the stupid horse collar rule while you’re at it.

Reaction Score
It's a terrible rule that ruins the game. I can get lush hung and going head first, but how the heck is a defensive guy supposed to avoid helmet to helmet with a running back lowering his head and shoulders. You got kids making good football plays getting tossed.

Reaction Score
LoL --- "launching". ... although turning into a lush isca distinct possibility if these weekends continue...
I’m calling Kyle Muncy to see if I can legitimately put a Husky logo somewhere on this shirt and sell them in the Rent parking lots!!

Check Liver Light.JPG

Reaction Score
thought for sure after the refs saw the replay, they'd come back and say the call is reversed, no targeting. I was wrong.

pepband99

Resident TV nerd
Reaction Score
another nonsense one in our game yesterday - they really need to either remove the mandatory ejection, or clean up the rule.

Reaction Score
To be effective now DBs need to come in low and hard. Severe knee and ankle injuries will increase as defenders better adapt to this rule.

pepband99

Resident TV nerd
Reaction Score
Bumping again, but this time for the refs picking up a targeting flag when:
1) The defender launched at the ball carrier
2) Led with crown
3) Hit the ball carrier's head
4ish) the QB was somehwhat in the sliding motion (announcers said it but i don't agree, hence ish)

That replay official should be suspended. This rule sucks.

Reaction Score
The call against BS should have been unnecessary roughness and targeting. BS was actually in a slide when he was hit. Still a penalty even without targeting.

As an aside, both TV amnouncers saw what everyone except the replay booth did. Leading with the helmet and helmet to helmet contact.

Last edited:

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
I think the BS play ticked all the targeting boxes.
  • Sliding QB
  • late, second tackler
  • Helmet to helmet

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
My understanding of the rule was that the review was only for the ejection. The penalty call (PF - 15 yds) can not be overturned.
Can someone explain why it wasn't first and goal from the half yard line?

Forget that it was the most obvious launching the crown of the helmet into the ear hole of the runner that we have seen this season.

Reaction Score
My understanding of the rule was that the review was only for the ejection. The penalty call (PF - 15 yds) can not be overturned.

Forget that it was the most obvious launching the crown of the helmet into the ear hole of the runner that we have seen this season.
I could be wrong but I think that they changed the rule from last year to allow the replay booth to change the personal foul call as well as the ejection on a targeting review. I 'm sure someone on the boneyard will look that one up for us.

pepband99

Resident TV nerd
Reaction Score

The review is for targeting call only.
Targeting with nothing else (like yesterday): they can eliminate the whole call
Targeting with unnecessary roughness: the ejection is reviewed, the unnecessary roughness lasts regardless.

It’s a stupid rule.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
The review is for targeting call only.
Targeting with nothing else (like yesterday): they can eliminate the whole call
Targeting with unnecessary roughness: the ejection is reviewed, the unnecessary roughness lasts regardless.

It’s a stupid rule.

I've never seen a call of unnecessary roughness with targeting. Everyone that I have seen has just been targeting.
Forget the overturning the call with clear lauching, leading with the crown of the helment, a making violent contact to the head are the three main criteria any one of which is grounds for ejection. We still have hitting a sliding QB, which is also a personal foul for unecessary roughness. A weak call for sure at the 1 yard line but the location of the field shouldn't matter. As far as obvious blown calls go, this is up there with Jeffrey Maier and the 1972 Olympic USSR basketball game.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom