I officially hate the Boneyard | The Boneyard

I officially hate the Boneyard

Status
Not open for further replies.

CAHUSKY

UConn Class of 2013
Reaction Score
Every thread is about a conspiracy to bring UCONN down or how we are somehow victims. Logging on is like inviting eeyore over for a dinner party. A complete and utter bummer. In the spirit of the Testiculo mojo, grow a sack you nattering nabobs of negativism.
http://rufiojones.files.wordpress.com/2011/04/eeyoresad.jpg

CAHUSKY out until after the tourney

Last edited:

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
How does one natter nepotism?

It's like somewhere in our fury over our place in this newly realigned world, we paused and gave our nephews a job.

Regroup, grab the dictionary and then come back and put us in our place.

Reaction Score
This board was more spirited last year when we were banned from postseason.

The fans who are now crying over the AAC getting dumped on are the same "fans" who have been dumping on the league all year.

Truth:

SMU got what they deserved

UCONN has a decent draw (would you rather play Iowa State or Michigan State in round 2) and a chance to play in its own backyard for a change

Louisville didn't get screwed Wichita State did

Last edited:
Reaction Score

The fans who are now crying over the AAC getting dumped on are the same "fans" who have been dumping on the league all year.

Truth:

UCONN has a decent draw (would you rather play Iowa State or Michigan State in round 2) and a chance to play in its own backyard for a change

The big one we've been pointing out repeatedly is having 5, 7 and 8 seeds in the same region. That puts a cap on tournament revenues for the conference. One might argue that also puts a floor on revenues, and that would be a good argument, but the fact is, tourney units rise exponentially by round, from $240k to $10 million. It's the exponential rise in payouts by round that make it crazy for the committee to stick 75% of the conference's teams in one region.

Reaction Score
Well on the bright side maybe people can talk about how they aren't dropping everything to travel to go to the potential games without being chewed out and considered less than a fan

caw

Reaction Score
The big one we've been pointing out repeatedly is having 5, 7 and 8 seeds in the same region. That puts a cap on tournament revenues for the conference. One might argue that also puts a floor on revenues, and that would be a good argument, but the fact is, tourney units rise exponentially by round, from $240k to $10 million. It's the exponential rise in payouts by round that make it crazy for the committee to stick 75% of the conference's teams in one region.

Pretty much this. I'm assuming your numbers are correct.

I could care less about seeding. I think all four teams are strong enough to have a chance regardless of who they play. However for the teams stuck in this league, that kills potential income by having The three teams potentially play each other in the same bracket. It all depends on how strong you believe these four teams are.

Bad seeding and unlucky draws happen but if only four teams are making the tournament they could have easily spread them over the four regions. It's not that hard.

Reaction Score
Pretty much this. I'm assuming your numbers are correct.

I could care less about seeding. I think all four teams are strong enough to have a chance regardless of who they play. However for the teams stuck in this league, that kills potential income by having The three teams potentially play each other in the same bracket. It all depends on how strong you believe these four teams are.

Bad seeding and unlucky draws happen but if only four teams are making the tournament they could have easily spread them over the four regions. It's not that hard.

I researched this yesterday and the info was hazy but I read the units start at $240k for the first round and go up. Another article said the F4 this year is $10 million for each of the 4 teams. All money is shared by the conference and doled out over 6 years. However (and this is new for me), the teams are fully reimbursed for travel by the conference.

You are right that the strength of the teams makes all the difference. I am not entirely confident that the AAC would be strong enough to really make a difference by landing multiple teams beyond the S16. BUT, in principle, you want to give your conference a chance, even if it means less money from not having more than 1 or 2 teams make the S16. If even 2 teams get to the F8, that a $$ bonanza.

Reaction Score
I'll complain about UCONN, Cincy, and Memphis being in the same regional when we are all playing in MSG next week, but i'll be complaining with a huge smile on my face while dancing and singing.

The AAC has an opportunity to take over New York City next week, only in The Boneyard would people complain about it.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
So you're saying that if any other conference had 75% of their teams in the same region they would be good with it? Get outta here.

I'm saying the potential monetary hit to the league doesn't happen unless all three teams win, complain about it next week. Sports is supposed to be fun. It's not like they matched us up in round 1 or 2.

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
None of this will matter after we go 6-0 in this tournament. The trophy is coming to Olliewood, folks...

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Every thread is about a conspiracy to bring UCONN down or how we are somehow victims.
CAHUSKY out until after the tourney

Says the guy who posted a UConn ripjob in it's entirety on another thread.

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score

Truth:

SMU was ranked #23 in the last AP poll. Only the Tournament Committee thought they were the 57th best team in the country.

And yes, UConn, fortunately has a nice draw. And while that's the most important thing, it's also besides the point, which is: Our conference -- which will be in the for at least the next few years -- got crapped on. And unless the fans and the school OBJECT to this mistreatment (Louisville a 4? 3 of the 4 AAC teams in the same region?), it'll keep happening.

With each passing minute, my focus is increasingly on the tournament and UConn's path to the Final 4. But there's still room for complaint. If Aresco isn't going to do anything about it, UConn should. And if the administration doesn't, the fans should. Public opinion matters. This was BS. Two ACC representatives and 0 AAC reps on the committee? What a joke.

p.s. I haven't dumped on the AAC at all. It is what it is. Much better than basically killing our football program and chance at ever joining a major conference by joining the Fake Big East or some other mid-major conference. I was pleasantly surprised by the success of SMU and Cincy this year. The top 5 of the AAC was great. Everybody thought so, except for the bums on the committee lining their and their friends' pockets.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
Agree with @upstater . It's not UConn's seed ( which is low) or our draw ( which looks good) it's the fact that the AAC was screwed with teams not getting in, teams getting bad seeds and the worst is that they are putting the 3 of us in the same region.

It's blatant at this point. Open your eyes.

I'm all in with UConn forever, but if this section process didn't scare the hell out ofyou going forward you're missing the Big picture.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Agree with @upstater . It's not UConn's seed ( which is low) or our draw ( which looks good) it's the fact that the AAC was screwed with teams not getting in, teams getting bad seeds and the worst is that they are putting the 3 of us in the same region.

It's blatant at this point. Open your eyes.

I'm all in with UConn forever, but if this section process didn't scare the hell out ofyou going forward you're missing the Big picture.

But the committee is always changing and what they do one year under ACC leadership may not inform future brackets.

They clearly vaulted NC State into the tournament. SMU's complaints are only so strong - they really are a marginal candidate.

Having 3 schools in one bracket isn't ideal - but at least it's not stacked like the Midwest. It might put a ceiling on credits - but come on - it's pretty unlikely that Memphis goes on some long run. If the teams in the East win and play each other it guarantees you get someone to the next round. If all three won two games in different regions they could all bow out in the round of 16.

UConn was underseeded but who would trade for one of the draws the 5s got? Memphis and Cincy are pretty fairly seeded.

Why would the ACC screw Louisville? They should be higher than a 4 - but the seeding is based on resume and they don't have a 1 or 2 seed resume. Currently they are playing as well as anyone, but that isn't the only criteria.

Every study will show you that who you play and how far you play from your campus is more important than your seed. Buffalo and NYC is ideal for UConn. Would you prefer a 5 or 6 in the south, a tougher road and lose the opportunity to be at the Garden to have only 2 teams in the East? Of course not.

Nothing has changed. The dregs of the AAC are going to be anchors, this has been obvious since day 1.

Reaction Score

This just means we will be leaving less money on the table when we get out of this conference.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score

Truth:

I don't give a crap about SMU or Lville
Yes, UConn did not get burned on draw BUT got burned respect wise in seeding and the AAC in piling all those team in same region.
"fans" have a right to voice opinion over league make-up and what comes with it - it's natural when you are forced off the top of the mountain (Big East)
Being a Mets fan must allow you to see a lot of grey - and before you draw conclusions - I'm a Cubs fan !

Reaction Score
The AAC obviously has to create a perception of strength by winning. Sending 3 of 4 teams to a regional semi and finals in NYC would be a complete media bonanza for the AAC. We're being handed a freaking gift of a lifetime.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
@whaler11 I love our draw and would definitely not change it for say Cinci's.

I'll admit I'm clearly paranoid about UConn/AAC's treatment from the NCAA/P5, but it's been such a pattern of abuse is hard to ignore.

I almost feel like UConn is always being graded on a sliding scale that paints us and our league in the worst light and then the criteria shifts when it would seemingly fit for UConn (mainly a CR rant).

I'm happy we have who we have, but say we didn't beat Memphis and Cinci, I wonder where we would've ended up?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom