I Need Some Help and Hope (Recruiting) | The Boneyard

I Need Some Help and Hope (Recruiting)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I took a quick look to see what RE was doing in terms of recruiting. There have been 135 UConn offers made for 2021 at this point. The breakdown is as follows:

10 signed
54 pending (player not signed anywhere yet)
71 signed elsewhere

I went through each kid and discovered this about offers made:

Florida 30
Texas 30
Georgia 17

It is pretty clear of the objective here. He is spending a lot of time in football hot beds, as 77/135 offers or 57% have come from 3 states. While I think the recruiting has been better last year and to this point this year, is it the right strategy for UConn? I'm not taking a side here, just posting one aspect of the process and how it looks. The class recruiting rank has risen from about 100 each year in the most recent past to around 80 last year, and so far about the same this year, but that could improve or decline as classes are brought to completion.

While some progress is being made, my knee jerk thought that I get, but is that enough? Comparing a 100th ranked class with a newer normal of 80 or so, is that enough? Supposing 80 becomes our new normal, where does that leave us, the bottom 40% of all teams?

I can already here some suggesting rankings mean nothing, I get that, but if you look at teams that consistently put out top 50 classes they tend to be top 50 teams. When you look at teams consistently ranked 80ish, they tend to play out as 80th ranked teams.

I also hear the voices, but RE will coach them up. Does that mean other coaches with the same level of recruits aren't as capable? I guess my expectations are higher than what I see happening, so a lot of what I found seems like it enters as less than my own personal expectations. We are all passionate fans, and on the same team, so instead of ripping each other apart here, I'm just hoping for some points of view that are your own, be it agree or disagree.

I find it a bit odd that 3 states dominate the recruiting at 57% of all offers. I get it. Thinking some lesser kids in these areas may be better than lesser kids somewhere else. I guess soon we can see how kids from these 3 states do at UConn vs the others. Maybe he is onto something very good....or possibly very bad. Time will tell. Thanks all!

Reaction Score
I'll bite. The recruiting is dominated in those states because that is where the most talent can be found. They also play the type of football the produces the player profile RE prefers, fast players with quick response. With regard to class rank, some of the rankings are based on the schools recruiting and the active memberships they provide the recruiting sites. It does not tell the whole story, but there is a lean because of it. Lastly we need to win to attract better players. You win they will come just like the fan base. So string together several winning seasons with an upset here or there and your going to get more notice and have a better story to tell. Then we move into the 60's etc. It takes time in football more than any other sport.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
I think the situation comes down to three things:

i) resource allocation - the staff has finite hours to invest in recruiting. Its far easier to concentrate those hours into the same high yielding markets than to spread oneself wide and far. some of these kids we have been watching from afar for three years now.
ii) familiarity - thanks to steady habits of recruiting the same counties the past three years our staff is getting familiar with the locals (HS coaches / counselors / parents) and that matters. our staff now knows those programs, the tiering in those states and the local issues in general - good & bad. Drop Corey in MN or Michigan right now and how would he do? Answer - not well and thats nothing to do with him and everything to do with the fact Corey would be an unknown in those states.
iii) density - these are the markets where the yield of talent is high.

Under this administration the focus when recruiting outside of the Northeast will likely remain with:
1) Dallas metroplex / balance of TX
2) Jacksonville
3) Select counties in GA
4) Tampa
5) South FL
6) Select areas of SC

When south of VA and west of Ohio I dont expect us to make many (notice I said "many" offers and not zero) offers to HS kids not in those 6 locations.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I think the recruiting strategy has changed from RE 1.0 to RE 2.0. First, more P5 schools are recruiting New England/NY/NJ leading to fewer opportunities for UConn (and BC and Syracuse). Pennsylvania, another RE 1.0 favorite has really dropped off producing football talent which means fewer opportunities for UConn.

I'm not a big recruiting star guy, but look at Georgia. There are 2 P5 schools, yet Georgia had 260 3* or higher recruits in 2020. The combined total of 3*s or higher from CT, MA, RI, NH, VT, ME, NY, DE, PA, NJ, and MD in 2020 was 253. You have to fish where the fish are.

I think if UConn starts winning and has an offense that scores points, more Northeast recruits would consider UConn.

Reaction Score
I never think about or research UConn recruiting. What I typically do, is buy a program at the first game of the year, then I root for the names of the guys listed under UConn.

Reaction Score
Some solid input here. I agree with most of it, but rather than go back and forth on any issue, I find hearing other ideas more valuable. Too many times in here opinion fights make this place become ugly, when in the end we are all on the same team. Thanks for the input guys, enjoyed the read! Go Huskies!

Reaction Score
Remember also, the northeast was in lockdown thru June. And travel to Canada restricted. Not Easy to visit or analyze kids u can’t see, meet with or even talk to their coaches about.

Reaction Score
Our ability to recruit isnt capped by our strategy. Its capped by our lack of success. Marginal recruiting successes are great having beyond sucked for a decade. Win more and whatever our strategy is we will improve our recruiting

Last edited:
C

Chief00

Our ability to recruit isnt capped by our strategy. Its capped by our lack of success. Marginal recruiting successes are great having beyond sucked for a decade. Win more and whatever our strategy is we will improve our recruiting

We also need to change the CT culture - it’s not real supportive of football compared to other states - how you do that Chief is not sure

Reaction Score
I'm from CT, and moved to Florida 9 years ago. Obviously, HS football is huge here. Friday night games are televised, and an entire 30 minute sports cast has highlights of games. The media tends to control the narrative, and exposure to be a catalyst toward moving the needle.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hipline

Top Bottom