I need Cape Cod vacation advice | Page 6 | The Boneyard

I need Cape Cod vacation advice

Reaction Score
The Beachcomer is one of my favorite places on Earth.
Thanks for the rec! It's about 45 min from our hotel and since it's just a two-night stay, that will be on the list if we go again.

We're heading off soon. Our hotel in South Yarmouth is literally across the street from a beach, so most of our time will just being lazy around there. I'm not a big beach guy in the summer: I love beaches off-season, so the cooler and cloudier weather forecasted for this week is more up my alley.

We're packing a decent amount of food and some wine so by the time we get there we should get a few hours near the beach before the storms come. Whale watching is booked for 9 AM tomorrow (which assures absolutely no beach time at high noon, yay to me) and aside from that no plans. We're also about a mile from Captain's Cove, so we can walk there whenever.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Thanks for the rec! It's about 45 min from our hotel and since it's just a two-night stay, that will be on the list if we go again.

We're heading off soon. Our hotel in South Yarmouth is literally across the street from a beach, so most of our time will just being lazy around there. I'm not a big beach guy in the summer: I love beaches off-season, so the cooler and cloudier weather forecasted for this week is more up my alley.

We're packing a decent amount of food and some wine so by the time we get there we should get a few hours near the beach before the storms come. Whale watching is booked for 9 AM tomorrow (which assures absolutely no beach time at high noon, yay to me) and aside from that no plans. We're also about a mile from Captain's Cove, so we can walk there whenever.
Whale watch out of Hyannis I assume? Barnstable Brewing isn't a bad stop if you're over there. Possibly the 2nd best brewery on the Cape. Decent indoor and outdoor space.

Reaction Score
Just got back from the Cape today.

@HuskyHawk, correct. We did whale watching yesterday through Hyannis Whale Watcher Cruises and it was incredible. Even though it was a packed boat, we stood on the sides of the boat and had a perfect view from our spots. The tour guide was excellent and we saw something like thirty different whales, multiple humpbacks, minke and fin whales. All of the whales were near Provincetown, so we spent way less time than usual finding the whales and more time spotting.

Overall, it was a lovely trip. It was my wife's first time and my first time in twenty years.

We stayed two nights at the Bluebird Parker Beach Lodge, a newly renovated motel that opened in May. It had some kinks and there was a sense that they rushed the renovation to get ready for the season, but it was perfectly fine for our stay: just a few hundred feet from a chill beach and a quiet, centralized location.

After getting windswept at the beach on Monday (which was pretty cool) we had dinner at the Summer Shanty in West Dennis, which was very good, great service and views of the Bass River. We followed that up with ice cream at Sundae School, which I remember when I was a kid and I liked it even more now. So much charm and the ice cream is incredible.

Tuesday was whale watching, followed by relaxing at the beach and then we tried to have dinner again at Summer Shanty to catch their Tuesday $1.25 oyster special, but not surprisingly the wait was exceptionally long and we were too hungry to wait.

Researching from our car, we found Waves, a new waterfront restaurant located at the new Pelham House Resort in Dennis Port. We got lucky with finding this place, the service was excellent, the views were incredible and for a swanky spot, the prices were pretty fair. We shared Dennis oysters (incredible and massive!), two rolls of sushi (I liked it because it wasn't traditional sushi, but a nice change of pace) and a lobster flatbread (which I wouldn't get again, not because it was bad, but I just would have stuck to raw bar and sushi). The whole bill after tip was $100 (we didn't get drinks). I'll definitely go back. We drove to Harwich after dinner to get ice cream at Seagulls (perfectly fine and a nice little downtown to walk around).

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
Just got back from the Cape today.

@HuskyHawk, correct. We did whale watching yesterday through Hyannis Whale Watcher Cruises and it was incredible. Even though it was a packed boat, we stood on the sides of the boat and had a perfect view from our spots. The tour guide was excellent and we saw something like thirty different whales, multiple humpbacks, minke and fin whales. All of the whales were near Provincetown, so we spent way less time than usual finding the whales and more time spotting.

Overall, it was a lovely trip. It was my wife's first time and my first time in twenty years.

We stayed two nights at the Bluebird Parker Beach Lodge, a newly renovated motel that opened in May. It had some kinks and there was a sense that they rushed the renovation to get ready for the season, but it was perfectly fine for our stay: just a few hundred feet from a chill beach and a quiet, centralized location.

After getting windswept at the beach on Monday (which was pretty cool) we had dinner at the Summer Shanty in West Dennis, which was very good, great service and views of the Bass River. We followed that up with ice cream at Sundae School, which I remember when I was a kid and I liked it even more now. So much charm and the ice cream is incredible.

Tuesday was whale watching, followed by relaxing at the beach and then we tried to have dinner again at Summer Shanty to catch their Tuesday $1.25 oyster special, but not surprisingly the wait was exceptionally long and we were too hungry to wait.

Researching from our car, we found Waves, a new waterfront restaurant located at the new Pelham House Resort in Dennis Port. We got lucky with finding this place, the service was excellent, the views were incredible and for a swanky spot, the prices were pretty fair. We shared Dennis oysters (incredible and massive!), two rolls of sushi (I liked it because it wasn't traditional sushi, but a nice change of pace) and a lobster flatbread (which I wouldn't get again, not because it was bad, but I just would have stuck to raw bar and sushi). The whole bill after tip was $100 (we didn't get drinks). I'll definitely go back. We drove to Harwich after dinner to get ice cream at Seagulls (perfectly fine and a nice little downtown to walk around).
Good to know about Summer Shanty. My wife's aunt's house is in South Yarmouth, not far from West Dennis. I'll give it a try next time we borrow the house. We find Captain Parkers is just too mobbed.

I was in North Falmouth Saturday and Sunday. The inland heat caused some impressive convection driven winds at the beach, and increased surf as well. I imagine that continued on Monday (though not quite as hot).

Reaction Score
Headed to Eastham Saturday. Beachcomber tops on the list. Nauset Beach, First Encounter and some steamers and cold beer on the menus.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
Headed to Eastham Saturday. Beachcomber tops on the list. Nauset Beach, First Encounter and some steamers and cold beer on the menus.
Keep the Sharktivity app close while at Nauset.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom