I need Cape Cod vacation advice | Page 5 | The Boneyard

I need Cape Cod vacation advice

Reaction Score
We ended up booking this place in South Chatham. Seems to be centrally located, has great views and looks like what I expected I’d stay in during a cape cod vacation.
Hotels in Chatham MA | Chatham Tides Hotel

Ended up being more than I wanted to spend but I guess that’s what you get coming right before 4th of July. Bar, restaurant and site seeing suggestions are still being accepted and are appreciated.

Go back and look at my recos they were all based on a Chatham home base.

I’d add to they go to the Red Num for a burger and a beer.

Reaction Score
Go back and look at my recos they were all based on a Chatham home base.

I’d add to they go to the Red Num for a burger and a beer.
I feel like the 'the seals, THE SEALS' crowd exerted an undue influence on final site selection. Hopefully the vacation doesn't coincide with shark week, but just for fun CAHusky and girlfriend definitely should watch Jaws on the plane ride east.

Reaction Score
Many of the locals would love to invite the Inuits down for a good old fashioned seal herd culling.

Reaction Score
I see people say this all the time and I've never understood it. I've never seen any beach on Cape Cod that was half as busy and crowded, or as hard to get to through traffic, as Misquamicut is. I can't even enjoy the beach when there are that many people on it.

If you're talking about the two-mile stretch between Andrea's and the far end of the state park, sure. But Weekapaug/Dunes Park, Watch Hill, Napatree, Charlestown, East Beach, and Blue Shutters are all as nice or nicer, IMO, than any beaches on the Cape, and not nearly as far a drive. Misq. traffic is easily avoided. There is no avoiding the Bourne and Sagamore bridges. The outer Cape ocean beaches are great, but going in the water there feels like being stabbed by 1,000 knives. Lower Cape beaches (i.e. anything before Chatham) all suck -- private ownership down to the water $(#ed it all up.

huskypantz

All posts from this user are AI-generated
Reaction Score
One place I like if you are beach minded is the Sea Crest in Falmouth. Hotels in Falmouth, MA | Cape Cod | Sea Crest Beach Hotel It's in North Falmouth, on Old Silver beach, one of the nicer beaches in the Cape. It's a private beach adjacent to a public one. They can bring you alcohol from the bar, they have an outdoor pool (saltwater) and indoor, sports bar, ice cream place, they set up chairs and umbrellas and provide towels. You can rent jet skis, paddleboards and other stuff. Not cheap, but it really feels like a vacation, and for you, you wouldn't need beach towels etc.

You could do that for say, two days, then maybe move down to the arm, and do more hiking, whale watches, hit the big ocean side beaches (don't get eaten), and do Provincetown etc.
Second this. Great spot if you don't want a week rental. Just to note, reserve your beach spot/chairs early. Falmouth also has a decent downtown area with good restaurants and ice cream for the evening hours.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score

Edward Sargent

Sargelak
Reaction Score
This must be based on old information because Ballston doesn't look so nice now that the ocean has broken through the Pamet River. I am no longer a fan of swimming in the ocean any more on the Cape as there are too many seals and they attract too many sharks.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
This must be based on old information because Ballston doesn't look so nice now that the ocean has broken through the Pamet River. I am no longer a fan of swimming in the ocean any more on the Cape as there are too many seals and they attract too many sharks.

Do you mean everywhere on the Cape? It's not an issue on the bay side really, or Nantucket sound, or Buzzards Bay around Falmouth. No seals. Certainly the ocean facing beaches on the arm, including Ballston, Race Point, Coast Guard and Nauset are going to have seals in the vicinity, and sharks. Attacks are still very unlikely. And that whole area was torn up by the winter storms.

Edward Sargent

Sargelak
Reaction Score
Do you mean everywhere on the Cape? It's not an issue on the bay side really, or Nantucket sound, or Buzzards Bay around Falmouth. No seals. Certainly the ocean facing beaches on the arm, including Ballston, Race Point, Coast Guard and Nauset are going to have seals in the vicinity, and sharks. Attacks are still very unlikely. And that whole area was torn up by the winter storms.
I have seen seals several times at Fisher Beach and Corn Hill Beach in Truro. A paddler had a shark take a bite of his board last year on the bay side last year and the year before two kayakers paddling up to some seals off Plymouth got knocked into the water when a shark mistook the front end of the kayak. Get the Sharkitivity app and you will see that sharks are routinely coming into the Bay. I must add that I am a distance swimmer and I just don't want to be out there any distance from shore constantly reminded that I am part of the food chain. Last year they significantly revised the estimate of seals on the Cape and its was upped to 50,000. Don't bother fishing from shore any more either.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
I have seen seals several times at Fisher Beach and Corn Hill Beach in Truro. A paddler had a shark take a bite of his board last year on the bay side last year and the year before two kayakers paddling up to some seals off Plymouth got knocked into the water when a shark mistook the front end of the kayak. Get the Sharkitivity app and you will see that sharks are routinely coming into the Bay. I must add that I am a distance swimmer and I just don't want to be out there any distance from shore constantly reminded that I am part of the food chain. Last year they significantly revised the estimate of seals on the Cape and its was upped to 50,000. Don't bother fishing from shore any more either.

I've got the app. Had it the day it was available. Bay side from Truro up to Providence likely gets a spillover effect. But there aren't White sharks dealing with the shallows of Brewster and Dennis near shore. If you are swimming in deep water, that changes things entirely. But as the guy in this video shows, if there is salt in the water, there are sharks. And in the case of Bull sharks, sometimes even if there isn't any salt.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
I've got the app. Had it the day it was available. Bay side from Truro up to Providence likely gets a spillover effect. But there aren't White sharks dealing with the shallows of Brewster and Dennis near shore.

There are white sharks in the bay.

They're not the monsters that are after the seal population, but they're big enough.

Reaction Score
If you're talking about the two-mile stretch between Andrea's and the far end of the state park, sure. But Weekapaug/Dunes Park, Watch Hill, Napatree, Charlestown, East Beach, and Blue Shutters are all as nice or nicer, IMO, than any beaches on the Cape, and not nearly as far a drive. Misq. traffic is easily avoided. There is no avoiding the Bourne and Sagamore bridges. The outer Cape ocean beaches are great, but going in the water there feels like being stabbed by 1,000 knives. Lower Cape beaches (i.e. anything before Chatham) all suck -- private ownership down to the water $(#ed it all up.

I hate how the water is variable along the sound and Rhody beaches. We've had a great time the last 3 years visiting Watch Hill, Napatree, Second Beach, Blue Shutters, etc., but this year the water was murky and, well, smelled a bit foul. Very Hammonasset-y.

I still like Rhody--nut sure why the water was that way, and this was long before all the rain. Had a week's stretch of 85-90 degree sunny weather, nice ocean breeze.

huskypantz

All posts from this user are AI-generated
Reaction Score
I’m planning on a day trip to the beach tomorrow and had to comb through this thread again. I was vacillating between old silver beach and the two RI recommendations near squam. I’m going with old silver beach - 30 less miles to drive, I should be able to avoid too much traffic and I am going to try to talk the wife into Mexican food in Falmouth for dinner. Viva la playa.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
Shark attack in Truro this afternoon

Reaction Score
Shark attack in Truro this afternoon
Reportedly, the Scarsdale bite victim was 30 yards offshore and it was the 1st Bay State shark bite since 2012. Getting airlifted to Boston's Tufts Medical, they sure weren't fooling around even with a Yanks' fan.

Reaction Score
I hate how the water is variable along the sound and Rhody beaches. We've had a great time the last 3 years visiting Watch Hill, Napatree, Second Beach, Blue Shutters, etc., but this year the water was murky and, well, smelled a bit foul. Very Hammonasset-y.

I still like Rhody--nut sure why the water was that way, and this was long before all the rain. Had a week's stretch of 85-90 degree sunny weather, nice ocean breeze.

A lot of seaweed in the water due to wind direction. Most of the beaches rake it up and bury it, and there was so much it started to smell. I have never in my life seen that much of it in RI. Reminded me of Horseneck, which is unswimmable after about July 4 every year.

Reaction Score
Bumping this thread as we booked a two-night stay in South Yarmouth at the newly renovated Bluebird Parker Beach Hotel a week before we head back to school. It'll be my first time in Cape Cod since I was a middle schooler in the late 90s and my wife's first visit.

Any recs in or near Yarmouth?

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Bumping this thread as we booked a two-night stay in South Yarmouth at the newly renovated Bluebird Parker Beach Hotel a week before we head back to school. It'll be my first time in Cape Cod since I was a middle schooler in the late 90s and my wife's first visit.

Curiouser
Reaction Score

I lived there for one summer during college so I'm not sure how helpful my other recommendations besides Pirate's Cove would be, but I recall that Captain Parker's Pub had great chowder, back when I used to eat New England Clam Chowder (now I stick to Rhode Island Chowder).

Curiouser
Reaction Score
It's probably at least a 45-minute drive, but the Beachcomber in Wellfleet was always a cool spot that was worth the trip for the views alone. Check the live music schedule, too.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score

When will you be there? We are headed to South Yarmouth next weekend. Our friend has a band called the Gobshites and they are playing two shows at the Cape Cod Irish Village. https://thegobshites.com/

If it rains on you, go to the Wydah Pirate museum. You can rent Kayaks on the Bass River right off of downtown South Yarmouth. What are you looking for to do?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom