I honestly think we're fcuked. | The Boneyard

I honestly think we're fcuked.

Status
Not open for further replies.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
The Syracuse and Pitt news was devastating to me as a long time BE fan, but I held out hope for a reconfigured Big East or an ACC invite. The invite isn't coming anytime soon.

The reconfigured Big East? Not happening either.

It appears Louisville will be going to the Big12, and may bring Cincy with them. The move makes sense for both the Big12 and the two schools.

More and more smoke is coming out about West Virginia being the SEC's 14th team. This also makes sense. ESPN has a stake in the SEC and the ACC. While FSU, Clemson and WV are all attractive candidates, don't think for a second ESPN isn't in their ear telling them to take WV to put the final dagger into the Big East.

That leaves UConn, Rutgers, USF, and maybe Cincy if we're lucky. TCU isn't leaving the Mountain West for that conference. We'll have 3 or 4 legitimate BCS teams, and will have to add 5 or 6 MAC or C-USA teams to just stay afloat.

I'm normally an optimistic poster on the Boneyard, but all of the above just makes too much sense for it not to happen.

It just sucks. Fiesta Bowl, Big East Championship. Big East Basketball Championship, National Title. Andre Drummond. Felt like we were on top of the world.

MattMang23

Adding Nothing to the Conversation
Reaction Score
Sadly I'm inclined to agree.

Reaction Score
From the looks of things, we definitely appear to be somewhat screwed. I'm sure in the long run we will be OK though. We are UConn! We'll shock the world again. Maybe we'll have to do it as a BCS buster. I'm a fan for life though, regardless of conference affiliation and even if we go through a rough period.

Reaction Score
I've looked around Google and don't see anything valid about Louisville going to the 12. Lot's of chatter, like here, but nothing credible. Time for leadership, and it is disappointing that no one has emerged. Certainly Marinatto seems like he's through. Just disappeared. But someone has to step up.

Reaction Score
I've looked around Google and don't see anything valid about Louisville going to the 12. Lot's of chatter, like here, but nothing credible. Time for leadership, and it is disappointing that no one has emerged. Certainly Marinatto seems like he's through. Just disappeared. But someone has to step up.

Seriously, the silence is almost worse than Cuse and Pitt leaving. It's hard to have any confidence that the conference leadership is doing anything proactive. There are schools that are going to end up in the BE whether we want them or not. Why haven't the invites gone out?

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
Why would ESPN be telling the SEC anything?

The same reason that they were in the ACC's ear to take Pitt and Syracuse. Money and protecting their property.

ESPN and the SEC have a contract.
ESPN and the ACC have a contract.
The Big East's contract with ESPN is up soon.

With West Virginia out there as a candidate from the Big East, do you think that ESPN has an incentive to have the SEC take West Virginia from a property (Big East) they don't have a long term contract with. Taking FSU, Clemson or NC State from the ACC hurts that league which ESPN has a (I believe) 10 year+ deal with. They've orchestrated everything so far, why would they stop now?

Reaction Score
Seriously, the silence is almost worse than Cuse and Pitt leaving. It's hard to have any confidence that the conference leadership is doing anything proactive. There are schools that are going to end up in the BE whether we want them or not. Why haven't the invites gone out?
That's easy. There is no "core" BE right now, with virtually everyone scrambling for the exits. How can you invite? That's why things have to settle down, people have to recognize that we can be fine with a new league. Syracuse and Pitt don't damage Big East football. They hurt BE basketball, but not football. This is a golden opportunity to form a really nice football/basketball conference. The commissioner has to be a football guy though, preferably from a place like Alabama. Can't be out of Providence. Marinatto can be assistant commissioner for basketball, but he can't be the commissioner.

Reaction Score
The Syracuse and Pitt news was devastating to me as a long time BE fan, but I held out hope for a reconfigured Big East or an ACC invite. The invite isn't coming anytime soon.

The reconfigured Big East? Not happening either.

It appears Louisville will be going to the Big12, and may bring Cincy with them. The move makes sense for both the Big12 and the two schools.

More and more smoke is coming out about West Virginia being the SEC's 14th team. This also makes sense. ESPN has a stake in the SEC and the ACC. While FSU, Clemson and WV are all attractive candidates, don't think for a second ESPN isn't in their ear telling them to take WV to put the final dagger into the Big East.

That leaves UConn, Rutgers, USF, and maybe Cincy if we're lucky. TCU isn't leaving the Mountain West for that conference. We'll have 3 or 4 legitimate BCS teams, and will have to add 5 or 6 MAC or C-USA teams to just stay afloat.

I'm normally an optimistic poster on the Boneyard, but all of the above just makes too much sense for it not to happen.

It just sucks. Fiesta Bowl, Big East Championship. Big East Basketball Championship, National Title. Andre Drummond. Felt like we were on top of the world.
Stop. Don't let them see you wailing at the moon.

Reaction Score
The commissioner has to be a football guy though, preferably from a place like Alabama. Can't be out of Providence. Marinatto can be assistant commissioner for basketball, but he can't be the commissioner.

I find this hilarious but true.

Reaction Score
I would have thought that Jurich was the perfect candidate to be comish.

Reaction Score
I would have thought that Jurich was the perfect candidate to be comish.

He'd make a good choice. I really wish we could give the Big East demands for us to stay like Oklahoma did with the Big 12. Marinatto would definitely have to go before we commit.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
There will be rumors for quite a while on who is going where but at the moment the only absolute move is that the SEC will need to find someone to bring that conference to an even number. Evidently A&M is joining next summer and they will have at least one calendar year with an odd number of schools so it won't matter much if the SEC lands school #14 in September 2011 or November 2011.

The B-12 isn't doing anything until their landmark right's ceeding agreement is actually agreed upon and signed off on. Neinas can spin this all he wants but this isn't close to being done and until it is, a school like Louisville isn't doing anything.

We may suffer through lack of movement for quite a few weeks.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Big 12 boards have been pretty hostile to the idea of Louisville and WVU. The really seem to be focused west, not east. The could definitely take TCU though.

Reaction Score
There will be rumors for quite a while on who is going where but at the moment the only absolute move is that the SEC will need to find someone to bring that conference to an even number. Evidently A&M is joining next summer and they will have at least one calendar year with an odd number of schools so it won't matter much if the SEC lands school #14 in September 2011 or November 2011.

The B-12 isn't doing anything until their landmark right's ceeding agreement is actually agreed upon and signed off on. Neinas can spin this all he wants but this isn't close to being done and until it is, a school like Louisville isn't doing anything.

We may suffer through lack of movement for quite a few weeks.
Did you see what's happening with OKLA? It looks like they are now in favor of ceding the tier one and two rights to the conference and leaving tier 3 rights with the individual schools - paving the way for Texas to keep the LHN. Why? Because OK has in the works the Sooner network with Fox or ESPN to compete with the LHN. So, OK and TX will have their own tier 3 networks and will maintain their longstanding competitive advantage over the rest of the Big 12. Missouri has to be loving this.

Reaction Score
Big 12 boards have been pretty hostile to the idea of Louisville and WVU. The really seem to be focused west, not east. The could definitely take TCU though.

Focused west on what?

Reaction Score
You know what...nothing is happening for the next 3 seasons. Enough of the speculation. Let's just enjoy the fact that we are stacked to repeat.

Reaction Score
if the SEC wanted WVU they'd have them by now. they want Missouri and they can wait for them. it's only a matter of time until Mizzou gets fed up with being OK and TX's lapdog. why wouldn't they leave to be equal partners in the best football conference? i really don't see what the B12 has that is attractive to Louisville. you have to keep in mind that Louisville fans care more about bball than football, and it's not even close who the better conference is in bball. they love the BE tournament every year. and in the BE, Louisville will likely play in a BCS bowl or two over the next decade. can you really say that about Louisville in the B12? Also the B12 is probably the one conference that's less stable than ours b/c they're entirely top heavy and if TX and OU leave they really are genuinely at risk of losing a BCS bid. i think if everyone settles down and thinks about this rationally UofL and WVU aren't going anywhere. i wouldn't blame TCU for leaving to the B12, but it sounds like the B12 won't even take them for some reason that's only known to Texas politicians.
i think the only thing that might happen this year is Missouri joining the SEC and the B12 and BE filling up their vacancies. after that i wouldn't expect anything for at least 5 or 6 years. by then Texas will know what they have in LHN and ND will again be ready to decide they want to remain independent.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom