Huskies going to Italy this summer | The Boneyard

Huskies going to Italy this summer

Sluconn Husky

#1 Source of Info
Reaction Score
To bond and play some games. Geno sounds stoked. Some interesting Geno quotes about his new contract in the piece too.

The Huskies will travel to Italy for 11 days in August. It will be their fifth visit to Europe since 1994.

"The actual itinerary is not complete but we have the dates pretty much - Aug. 13-24," Auriemma said. "We're going to have a lot of people back and a bunch of guys coming in. That makes it a perfect time to go. You get 10 days of practice before you leave if you want them. We'll play three, four, five games there. It's a chance to get a feel for each other before school and the season starts."

Huskies' summer plans include trip to Italy

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Could not come at a better time with the 4 newbies coming in. Wonder how much of the 10 day summer practice, if any, they will use?

Rocky when I read this, I thought the same thing. The newbies timing could not have been better. A free trip to Europe on UConn's dime, and a wonderful/fun opportunity to play and bond with all of your new teammates.
Not to mention they get a jump on the other programs by playing "organized" games together during the summer. I wonder if they could use someone to carry their bags on that trip? If they can, I know a guy. :rolleyes:

On overseas trips of this nature, do teams get an exemption of the 10 day summer practice rule? I would imagine that 10 days would not be nearly enough time to indoctrinate the freshmen of the very basics of the plays, unless they will be nothing more than spectators, cheerleaders and bell hops during this trip.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
To bond and play some games. Geno sounds stoked. Some interesting Geno quotes about his new contract in the piece too.

The Huskies will travel to Italy for 11 days in August. It will be their fifth visit to Europe since 1994.

"The actual itinerary is not complete but we have the dates pretty much - Aug. 13-24," Auriemma said. "We're going to have a lot of people back and a bunch of guys coming in. That makes it a perfect time to go. You get 10 days of practice before you leave if you want them. We'll play three, four, five games there. It's a chance to get a feel for each other before school and the season starts."

Huskies' summer plans include trip to Italy
The last time they went to Italy --that I remember --is when Shea was a team member--a great team bonding experience for every one including the Staff. I was wonder when they'd do that one again---way back when, I read they could only do these ever 4 years--it's been a bit long much longer.

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
This is what Maryland did this year with their six incoming freshmen.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
This seems like such a no brainer. :rolleyes: I am not suggesting every year but why do we not do it more frequently?
Besides being a fun experience, it would help promote WBB. What better ambassadors?

Biff

Mega Monster Moderator
Reaction Score
This seems like such a no brainer. :rolleyes: I am not suggesting every year but why do we not do it more frequently?
Besides being a fun experience, it would help promote WBB. What better ambassadors?
There is an NCAA restriction on how often a team can do this.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
There is an NCAA restriction on how often a team can do this.

Thanks Biff. Can you clarify the particulars?

Reaction Score
Planing a family trip to Italy during that time...would be fun to see the team play somewhere on our travels
Good for you! I'll be in Italy earlier, in July. Drats! (well, not such drats: hiking in Dolomites and Alps won't be too bad either....)

Biff

Mega Monster Moderator
Reaction Score
Thanks Biff. Can you clarify the particulars?

Well I think the applicable bylaw is this (although there may be others that apply) Additionally to what is below I know that a few years ago they changes the eligibility rule where the incoming freshmen are eligible for the trip. In trips before around 2011 or so incoming freshmen could not go on such a trip.

30.7 FOREIGN TOURS AND COMPETITION
A member institution may participate in a foreign
tour in any sport, provided the conditions specified
below are met.
30.7.1 Certification of Tour.
The institution must certify in writing that the conditions set forth
in this section are met and must maintain the certification on file in
the athletics department.
30.7.4 Time Lapse Between Tours.
An institution shall not engage
in a foreign tour in each
sport more than once
every four years.

30.7.6 Opponents.
The team shall not compete during t
he tour against other
American teams
(colleges or the U.S. teams) other than teams composed of U.S. armed forces personnel
stationed at U.S. military bases in foreign countries.
30.7.8 Timing of Tour.
The tour shall be scheduled during the summer vacation period
between the institution’s spring and fall terms or
during any other vacation period published in
the institution’s official catalog. All travel
to and from the foreign country must take place
during such a vacation period. Further, an inst
itution may not engage in a foreign tour during
the period beginning 30-days prior to the first permissible practice date until the first scheduled
contest or date of com
petition in the championship segment
of the institution’s playing and
practice season in the applicable sport. However,
if the team crosses
the international date
line during the tour, the change of date will
be disregarded and the equivalent time as
measured in the United States
will be used to determine the institution’s vacation period.

Reaction Score
Good for you! I'll be in Italy earlier, in July. Drats! (well, not such drats: hiking in Dolomites and Alps won't be too bad either....)

that sounds pretty good too...............watching the Huskies or visiting my 24th museum on the trip.............hmmmmm........let me think about that..................

vtcwbuff

Civil War Buff
Reaction Score
that sounds pretty good too.....watching the Huskies or visiting my 24th museum on the trip...hmmmmm...let me think about that...

Yeah, that can be a problem. A better vacation might be to pass up some of the museums, rent a car and hit some of the smaller towns and villages.

Reaction Score
Yeah, that can be a problem. A better vacation might be to pass up some of the museums, rent a car and hit some of the smaller towns and villages.

you got it............that's in the plans most likely............can't trust those Italian trains..........either running late or somebody is on strike...........always happens in the summer too..........................

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Well I think the applicable bylaw is this (although there may be others that apply) Additionally to what is below I know that a few years ago they changes the eligibility rule where the incoming freshmen are eligible for the trip. In trips before around 2011 or so incoming freshmen could not go on such a trip.

30.7 FOREIGN TOURS AND COMPETITION
A member institution may participate in a foreign
tour in any sport, provided the conditions specified
below are met.
30.7.1 Certification of Tour.
The institution must certify in writing that the conditions set forth
in this section are met and must maintain the certification on file in
the athletics department.
30.7.4 Time Lapse Between Tours.
An institution shall not engage
in a foreign tour in each
sport more than once
every four years.

30.7.6 Opponents.
The team shall not compete during t
he tour against other
American teams
(colleges or the U.S. teams) other than teams composed of U.S. armed forces personnel
stationed at U.S. military bases in foreign countries.
30.7.8 Timing of Tour.
The tour shall be scheduled during the summer vacation period
between the institution’s spring and fall terms or
during any other vacation period published in
the institution’s official catalog. All travel
to and from the foreign country must take place
during such a vacation period. Further, an inst
itution may not engage in a foreign tour during
the period beginning 30-days prior to the first permissible practice date until the first scheduled
contest or date of com
petition in the championship segment
of the institution’s playing and
practice season in the applicable sport. However,
if the team crosses
the international date
line during the tour, the change of date will
be disregarded and the equivalent time as
measured in the United States
will be used to determine the institution’s vacation period.

I understand the 4 year restriction so that each student will have no more than 1 travel tour but we are talking about a 15+ gap?

By the way, on the topic of travel rules, do you know the rules regarding our red shirted transfers traveling with the team during the tournament (particularly the F4 venue) ? Thanks

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
I understand the 4 year restriction so that each student will have no more than 1 travel tour but we are talking about a 15+ gap?

By the way, on the topic of travel rules, do you know the rules regarding our red shirted transfers traveling with the team during the tournament (particularly the F4 venue) ? Thanks
no-money-clipart-clipart-panda-free-clipart-images-5F12qV-clipart.jpg

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
no purpose to spend Connecticut tax dollars so often on stuff... or was saving it for the "spankin' brand new practice facility"

Reaction Score

UConn's last time in Italy was in 2011. Aside from the $$$ aspect as to why it didn't happen more often, Geno's lately had a few summers filled up dealing with the little detail that is the US National team.

Reaction Score
Universities often spend money on student travel, even on travel that's not tied to a formal, structured educational experience. Travel is considered its own experiential learning opportunity, and I'm for that.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Great timing. I wonder if they will get down to Montella? :rolleyes:

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
UConn's last time in Italy was in 2011. Aside from the $$$ aspect as to why it didn't happen more often, Geno's lately had a few summers filled up dealing with the little detail that is the US National team.

Thanks for the clarification. I guess I took the statements tying the last trip to the Shea Ralph years to be the case. Nice to know that we are providing our teams with as many educational and exciting experiences as possible. :D

Reaction Score
no purpose to spend Connecticut tax dollars so often on stuff... or was saving it for the "spankin' brand new practice facility"

I wonder who got paid and how much for the new HBO UConn series.............certainly worth huge bucks to the school as a recruiting tool for athletes and non-athletes alike.............

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom