Hurley - Student of the game | The Boneyard

Hurley - Student of the game

Reaction Score
Is it me or everyone thinks our beloved coach also vastly improved his trade craft over the summer (credit to JC?) I start noticing the difference since PK85 games, it’s night and day! Well timed timeouts, substitution patterns, set plays after timeouts, even with JC style hooks…

There had been quite a few head scratchers in the past, now I can say it’s yet to see one. He answered the call from boneyarders!

I hope he retires here and we’ll build a statue for him!

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Is it me or everyone thinks our beloved coach also vastly improved his trade craft over the summer (credit to JC?) I start noticing the difference since PK85 games, it’s night and day! Well timed timeouts, substitution patterns, set plays after timeouts, even with JC style hooks…

There had been quite a few head scratchers in the past, now I can say it’s yet to see one. He answered the call from boneyarders!

It probably has a lot to do with him having built the team he wants for the first time in his tenure. He finally has a team that doesn't have to rely on 1-2 people to score.

Reaction Score
Must have taken the Yard's advice and read some basketball strategy books over the summer.

The donors must have chipped in for the 24.99 to get it for him

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-12-08 at 1.24.10 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-12-08 at 1.24.10 PM.png
    545.4 KB · Views: 56

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
He's been better. His job is a little easier. He isn't forced to play guys that are in roles they shouldn't be in, or who have limitations that compromise his offense or defense. And because of that, he's probably less likely to get dumb Ts out of frustration.

Reaction Score
I think Hurley and his staff have done a masterful job of assembling, developing and motivating this team. His system, his players. He has created a culture where excellence and real teamwork are the standards.

Reaction Score

Speaking of statues/monuments (I can't say I am all that well educated on the ones already at UConn so this may be stupid), but why aren't there statues of Calhoun and Geno (could understand waiting for retirement) outside of Gampel? Or maybe they are waiting to do them together because their rise coincided together?

RayIsTheGOAT

Sticks, to the rafters
Reaction Score
Speaking of statues/monuments (I can't say I am all that well educated on the ones already at UConn so this may be stupid), but why aren't there statues of Calhoun and Geno (could understand waiting for retirement) outside of Gampel? Or maybe they are waiting to do them together because their rise coincided together?
If that happens, I’m guessing it will be after Geno retires.
The frosty relationship between the two coaches might have an impact on the building of both statues together, also.

Reaction Score
I attribute it to this mainly

Hurley: “Andre Jackson is the best leader I’ve ever been around as a coach or a player.”

Edit: “it” is his more “relaxed” approach

Edit 2: He’s doing better, but he also has to do less. They put the work in to recruit and prepare, and it’s easier to sit back and watch rather than having to coach as hard.

UChusky916

Making the board a little less insufferable
Reaction Score
I've been critical in the past of Hurley with his minutes distribution and substitutions. He has been much better with some of those smaller things this year... including player lineups, substitutions, time-outs.

The biggest thing he has to be recognized for is assembling an A+ staff around him. He recognized his shortcomings and brought in guys to help address some of those weaknesses. So his staff has proven to be just as valuable.

Hurley's strength appears to be getting his guys to buy in, play hard, rebound, and play defense. He's accomplished that, no doubt. But Kimani and specifically Murray have really helped improve the offensive sets being run. Moore has been rumored to work with the bigs and that's certainly paying off. It helps when you have the most well-rounded offensive player pool/skillset since Hurley's been in Storrs... but you've still gotta make sure to get the guys prepared to execute and take advantage of their abilities.

There's also been marked player improvements/development across the board:
Sanogo has certainly improved his all-around game each year.
Hawkins tightened up his handle and improved drives and shooting confidence this year.
Andre's handle and defense looks better this year... shot coming along despite odd release.
Clingan got in shape and up-to-speed quickly.
New guys have integrated well.

And all of the guys have bought into the TEAM FIRST mentality. Guys are moving the ball and playing unselfishly. Lots of assists on made baskets.

Hurley's done a great job, but the rest of his staff and the players deserve praise as well.

And if/when we have our first loss of the year, posters here will undoubtedly come out of the woodwork to criticize Hurley again... whether it's fair or not.

Reaction Score
I've been critical in the past of Hurley with his minutes distribution and substitutions. He has been much better with some of those smaller things this year... including player lineups, substitutions, time-outs.

The biggest thing he has to be recognized for is assembling an A+ staff around him. He recognized his shortcomings and brought in guys to help address some of those weaknesses. So his staff has proven to be just as valuable.

Hurley's strength appears to be getting his guys to buy in, play hard, rebound, and play defense. He's accomplished that, no doubt. But Kimani and specifically Murray have really helped improve the offensive sets being run. Moore has been rumored to work with the bigs and that's certainly paying off. It helps when you have the most well-rounded offensive player pool/skillset since Hurley's been in Storrs... but you've still gotta make sure to get the guys prepared to execute and take advantage of their abilities.

There's also been marked player improvements/development across the board:
Sanogo has certainly improved his all-around game each year.
Hawkins tightened up his handle and improved drives and shooting confidence this year.
Andre's handle and defense looks better this year... shot coming along despite odd release.
Clingan got in shape and up-to-speed quickly.
New guys have integrated well.

And all of the guys have bought into the TEAM FIRST mentality. Guys are moving the ball and playing unselfishly. Lots of assists on made baskets.

Hurley's done a great job, but the rest of his staff and the players deserve praise as well.

And if/when we have our first loss of the year, posters here will undoubtedly come out of the woodwork to criticize Hurley again... whether it's fair or not.
Tom Moore is the perfect assistant coach. He's won national championships, had some success running his own program, he's a monster recruiter, he's great with the bigs, and he'll stay here as long as Hurley is here.

He's like Tom Hagen from The Godfather, he doesn't get all the talk but he makes everything work.

Reaction Score
Hurley is a basketball lifer whose father is in the Hall of Fame. When they spend time together you think they talk strategy and hoops? Dykes said it well yesterday that he coaches with passion and urgency like he’s never won a game before and he’s desperate to win it.

JakeTheDog

Makin’ bacon pancakes
Reaction Score
I was thinking George Blaney but Tom Hagen works too.
Tom Moore is the perfect assistant coach. He's won national championships, had some success running his own program, he's a monster recruiter, he's great with the bigs, and he'll stay here as long as Hurley is here.

He's like Tom Hagen from The Godfather, he doesn't get all the talk but he makes everything work.

Reaction Score
Your coaching looks better when you have the talent on the floor you need to run the stuff you want. It does seem like our offensive sets are more polished with more screening action to get shots and drives. I'm not sure if this is because the players are running the sets better because they have more talent or the coaching is better in setting them up to succeed. I would guess both. The team has a great staff so I'm sure they are improving along with the talent.

Reaction Score

Yes, but Tom was not a wartime consigliere.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Is it me or everyone thinks our beloved coach also vastly improved his trade craft over the summer (credit to JC?)
Nope, he's the same coach. JC gets no credit.

Reaction Score

Midway through the season last year I said to myself, "this team is not so great. If we make it to the ncaa the coaches will of done a fabulous job". I still was unimpressed with the coaches for putting together last year's team, but I was extremely impressed they did what they did with what they had.

So there's another theory/thought. DH didn't suddenly learn a ton over the summer. Rather, last years team was extremely limited and DH may of been the COY for just getting them into the tournament.

Reaction Score
Luke Murray has really helped with the offense. Last year's tournament loss sucked, but it changed Hurley's philosophy on roster management. He still prefers traditional recruiting, but he has seen how useful the portal is when you use it for the right guys.

Reaction Score
Hurley has always brought in transfers. The bonus now, for everyone, is that they’re eligible immediately and you know right away what you have and don’t have to think a season ahead with roster construction.

This is a consistent staff for Hurley- going in to year 6 with Tom, year 5 with Kimani, and year 5 (overall) with Luke.This is a special year, so far, where everything is clicking and the talent is deep, but it‘s not all that different from what they have been working to do.

Reaction Score
Coaches are as good as the players they have to work with. You bring in a player like Clingan who sparks your team offensively and defensively, and Joey who pops 3’s, the coaches start to look real intelligent. A lot of teams have smart coaches, but they don’t have players with enough skills to execute their plans.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom