Hurley is in denial about Sanogo | The Boneyard

Hurley is in denial about Sanogo

Reaction Score
He repeated that he play couldn't Sanogo because St John's went small. That is the most absurd thing that I have heard from a coach in a while. This isn't sailing, we weren't in a tacking duel. We didn't have to match St. John's moves. They made a move, going small, and it worked. Why not make a counter move?

In the post game, the press was afraid to really dig into question. What a bunch a scared bunnies. Why couldn't we force St John's to match us? Why did we have to match them?

Reaction Score

Reaction Score

Reaction Score

Reaction Score

Reaction Score

Reaction Score

Reaction Score

Reaction Score
He repeated that he play couldn't Sanogo because St John's went small. That is the most absurd thing that I have heard from a coach in a while. This isn't sailing, we weren't in a tacking duel. We didn't have to match St. John's moves. They made a move, going small, and it worked. Why not make a counter move?

In the post game, the press was afraid to really dig into question. What a bunch a scared bunnies. Why couldn't we force St John's to match us? Why did we have to match them?
I got over the loss right when it ended but really wish I didn't watch Hurley's post game presser, just a really bad look.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
delete this thread. the topic has been discussed ad nauseum in EIGHT other threads since the game ended.

You are wrong. The OP is making a different point. Don't read the thread if you don't like it.

BrysonDeMan

Hits Bombs
Reaction Score
Oh good. Another thread like the other six. The only worse look than Hurleys coaching today is our fanbases tantrum reaction.
yeh - you lose your best player for an extended time, you are going to lose some tough games. didn't Creighton just lose to a lesser team without it's best player?

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
yeh - you lose your best player for an extended time, you are going to lose some tough games. didn't Creighton just lose to a lesser team without it's best player?

So that is a reason to not play the best lineup?

Reaction Score
So that is a reason to not play the best lineup?
Of course not. It's also not the only reason we lost today. He's not even mentioning the lineup. Everyone having a hissy fit doesn't help either. DH is not going to be perfect. Maybe he looks at the game film, changes his mind and next time adjusts. People praising him one minute as a saviour and the next minute grabbing their pitchforks. It's so manic. It wasn't his best game and he was stubborn in the postgame. Hes a defensive minded coach so he tends to adjust to that side of the ball. I'm not particularly pleased about today either but maybe some perspective is needed. It's not all going to be good all the time.

Reaction Score
You are wrong. The OP is making a different point. Don't read the thread if you don't like it.
no. you are wrong. there were at least EIGHT other threads that his point, or any having to do with sanogo's PT, and especially any about the mistakes hurley made, could have been raised in.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Yes, that is true. It still doesn't explain why the coach felt he couldn't make an adjustment after St. John's made an adjustment.

And it certainly doesn't explain why the reporters covering the game couldn't have pressed the issue with the coach.

MyDorona

The Hebrew Hammer
Reaction Score
I'm surprised I haven't seen anyone bring up Hurley's growth from this gaffe last season. Sanogo was absolutely dominating the Johnnies every minute he was in the January 2021 matchup, and UConn was cruising to a victory. It was clear to anyone watching that Sanogo was a mismatch for St. John's.

Then, Hurley inexplicably benched Sanogo when the Johnnies went super small, never reinserted him, and let them steal the victory.

This year, Hurley did not let the Johnnies dictate how this game would be played. It may not have been pretty, but we played on our terms and won.

MyDorona

The Hebrew Hammer
Reaction Score
It’s not really growth so much as just common sense really.
Fair, but a common criticism of Coach on this board has been that he's been too dogmatic and slow to change. I was happy to see him live and learn from last year's experience. You don't need to beat, or even meet, the opponent on their terms... especially when you have a mismatch advantage.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
Palatine - "Look at me!!!"

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member