Hurley Interview on Pardon My Take | The Boneyard

Hurley Interview on Pardon My Take

Reaction Score
1hr 37 min. Hurley drops somewhat of a bombshell about what he inherited from previous regime. Won’t harp on it but Hurley really hints on how bad it had gotten.

Thankfully he had a meeting with Calhoun who promptly put him in his place.

Reaction Score
Wow. For people that can't listen, He said that he had "buyer's remorse" about coming here and specifically mentioned how disappointed he was in the talent, behavior, and academics of the players. Said he called his agent and asked if there was any way he could go back to URI, but wasn't possible because of the buyout. He went to Calhoun's office the day after the introductory press conference and coach told him to "Get your head out of your a**. This is UConn." That's all it took for Dan to get down to business rebuilding this thing. Crazy story.

Reaction Score
Yeah, definitely recommend the Calhoun portion of this interview towards the end. While it's obviously in Hurley's interest to have a narrative that this program was at rock bottom before his arrival...it clearly was. JC is indispensable.

Reaction Score
Wow. For people that can't listen, He said that he had "buyer's remorse" about coming here and specifically mentioned how disappointed he was in the talent, behavior, and academics of the players. Said he called his agent and asked if there was any way he could go back to URI, but wasn't possible because of the buyout. He went to Calhoun's office the day after the introductory press conference and coach told him to "Get your head out of your a**. This is UConn." That's all it took for Dan to get down to business rebuilding this thing. Crazy story.
Wow. That also puts his first couple of years into context, where it was clear he was essentially just coaching effort and togetherness after the players (and previous coaching regime) had basically given up. He wasn't even in a position to coach basketball IQ, offensive sets, etc., for a year or two.

Reaction Score
I can relate to him not wanting to take his shirt off because of the hairy back. I have more hair on my back than my head also.

Reaction Score
Hurley deserves tons of credit and appreciation for the UConn turnaround, but step 1 imo was getting the heck out of the AAC and back to the BE. None of this would be possible for UConn floundering in that mess...maybe the AAC works for some schools but not UConn.

Reaction Score
If you'd rather read about the interview.

"I took that job and it was a disaster, man. I mean, like talent, the way these guys were moving on campus, academics, behavior. It was so far away from like, anything you could win with," Hurley said on the podcast. "It was the day after the press conference and I've got like buyer's remorse scared I'm like, call my agent. 'Can I go back?' "

Alternate free access:

Tough love from Jim Calhoun? What UConn men's basketball coach Dan Hurley said on 'Pardon My Take' podcast

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ahserve34

Top Bottom