Hurley for BE COY? | The Boneyard

Hurley for BE COY?

Reaction Score
I haven't heard anyone talk about this. Took a team that hasn't made the tournament since 2016, stepped up in weight class in league, and finished 3rd in the league without his best player (and the best player in the league) for 8 out of their 21 games. Thoughts?

Reaction Score
I haven't heard anyone talk about this. Took a team that hasn't made the tournament since 2016, stepped up in weight class in league, and finished 3rd in the league without his best player (and the best player in the league) for 8 out of their 21 games. Thoughts?

I would say yes, absolutely. It probably goes to Wright (again) though.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Surprisingly he has a good shot. Villanova was the favorite and they have underperformed a little to be honest. McDermott is out of the question now. Willard and Steele are unlikely. Who else is there? Ewing is the only other remote possibility, because everyone expected Georgetown to be hot garbage this season.

Reaction Score
It’s hilarious how polarizing our fan base is. We lose a game and it’s “Hurleys game management is terrible, he makes no adjustments”, now we win 4 of 5 games and lock up the 3 seed and he’s coach of the year. To be fair, I in no way ever shared the first opinion, I’ve always thought he was a great coach, but the irony has to be called out.

Reaction Score
BY cracks me up - one week you come here and the discussion is all about how Hurley can build a program and recruit but can't coach. The next week he should be BE COY. By next week he should be fired I'm sure.

Reaction Score
I would doubt they'd give it to the newcomers in the conference. Maybe co-coaches like in 2016 when Wright and Willard won it.

Reaction Score
It’s hilarious how polarizing our fan base is. We lose a game and it’s “Hurleys game management is terrible, he makes no adjustments”, now we win 4 of 5 games and lock up the 3 seed and he’s coach of the year. To be fair, I in no way ever shared the first opinion, I’ve always thought he was a great coach, but the irony has to be called out.

Haha we posted at the same time.

Reaction Score
Hurley is as deserving as anyone and would have my vote, but it will likely be Wright. I could see Anderson getting more props next year. SJU isnt quite good enough yet

Reaction Score
He was the favorite but they have fallen off a cliff
I still like his chances. Started out 1-5 and and still has a chance to finish 5th I believe.

The issue I see with Hurley is that there are two good teams in the league other than UConn (Villanova and Creighton). Hurley is 0-3 there. Then the bubble/NIT teams (SHU, Xavier, Providence, St. John’s) he is 3-3, with the loss vs St. John’s squarely on him. Undefeated vs the garbage of the conference. He’s had to deal with a lot of adversity but still, I don’t think 3-6 vs competent teams in the league does it for him.

Reaction Score

Or maybe the games we're winning we make adjustments and manage the game better? Not true for every game, but it was yesterday.

Reaction Score
3 man race: Wright, Hurley, Anderson

Who shouldn't win it: Anderson (sorry, but a .500 record isn't worthy)
Who should win it: Hurley (top 3 in a new conference despite injuries/adversity)
Who will win it: Wright (1st place team's coach has won COY in 6 of the past 8 seasons)

McLovin

Gangstas, what's up?
Reaction Score
I would say yes, absolutely. It probably goes to Wright (again) though.
I feel like coach of the year usually goes to someone who exceeded expectations. Calhoun won COY only 4/10 times UConn won the Big East. His first 2 COY honors they started the season unranked and won the BE and in 1994 they finished 17-1 in conference play.

Villanova was expected to win the conference, and at 11-3 hasn't done it in a dominating fashion that would warrant COY honors for Wright. Plus, he was too scared to schedule a make-up game against us.

RayIsTheGOAT

Sticks, to the rafters
Reaction Score
Not sure what the biggest considerations are. I can see different arguments for Wright or Hurley.

Hurley did more with less.

Wright runs an elite level program and pretty much ticks all the boxes for building and coaching a program. And won the league again despite COVID stoppages to his team.

All things considered, Wright should probably win. But Hurley deserves to be right in the conversation.

Reaction Score
On a lighter note--I'm thinking DH/staff will continue to rock those red pullovers until they lose again!!

Not sayin' he's superstitious or anything..

Reaction Score
Hurley is as deserving as anyone and would have my vote, but it will likely be Wright. I could see Anderson getting more props next year. SJU isnt quite good enough yet
Why should Wright get it? He’s got the best team so coaching them to be good isn’t worthy of the honor IMO. Hurley or Anderson are more worthy

Reaction Score
I feel like coach of the year usually goes to someone who exceeded expectations. Calhoun won COY only 4/10 times UConn won the Big East. His first 2 COY honors they started the season unranked and won the BE and in 1994 they finished 17-1 in conference play.

Villanova was expected to win the conference, and at 11-3 hasn't done it in a dominating fashion that would warrant COY honors for Wright. Plus, he was too scared to schedule a make-up game against us.
Saw your post after I commented. You make a much stronger argument

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HassanDawg

Top Bottom