Hurley Costs Us Another Game. Will the reporters ask some tough questions? | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Hurley Costs Us Another Game. Will the reporters ask some tough questions?

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
Polley is not the answer. Nor was he the answer this game. He requires so much screen help to get him open looks and his defense is pretty bad.
Teams are draping themselves over him. They know if they faceguard him and bump him he's ineffective. It's tough right now to get him the ball

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
With 6 of the first 18 posts in a thread you started, you might be under stress that caused you to write 100%, and then add something.

Maybe a timeout is in order for you to regroup.
This is the boneyard, right?

YearoftheHusky

Name checks out.
Reaction Score
We began the game like a team who has not played in 10 days. Nothing a time out could have done about that.

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
Yes, I agree he needs to stop playing Adams and I wish he realized 10 games ago. My point is he did finally realize in the 2nd half today so the question seems pointless
It's not even so much Adams as Hurley gets us down by so much and does nothing to fix it. Not even taking timeouts. e

Reaction Score
With 6 of the first 18 posts in a thread you started, you might be under stress that caused you to write 100%, and then add something.

Maybe a timeout is in order for you to regroup.
That's a much lower ratio than usual, typically it's 6 of the first 6

Reaction Score
We need to stop making excuses or we will be a mediocre BiG East team for the future. Hurleys coaching has been and continues to be an issue. Yes he has improved recruiting, but not much else has improved.

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
That's a much lower ratio than usual, typically it's 6 of the first 6
lol I try to not post and let others sound insane so I just stick to the stocks thread but the first half was so bad I couldn't help it

Reaction Score
It's not even so much Adams as Hurley gets us down by so much and does nothing to fix it. Not even taking timeouts. e
I'm not gonna argue Hurley is perfect, there's plenty he needs to work on. But it's just the selective memory, we got off to a great start against St. John's and then they crept it. I just think with no Bouknight the team is way too streaky

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
I'm not gonna argue Hurley is perfect, there's plenty he needs to work on. But it's just the selective memory, we got off to a great start against St. John's and then they crept it. I just think with no Bouknight the team is way too streaky
I agree but if you pay attention Hurley always either lets our lead slip away or lets the other teams lead balloon to double digits

Reaction Score
I think today shows Hurley we need Gaffney/Jackson over Adams. He did realize after the beginning of the 2nd half. Jackson played much better than I would have expected.
Jackson defensively kept his man in front of him. He threw crisp passes. He got some rebounds. Seems to have a decent handle. Made a 3 and of course, the awesome dunk. He should improve with more play. Gaffney showed good body control on his reverses under the basket and a decent shot from the outside. Really impressive play from him in the second half.

So then, there were positives despite the mostly horrible most of the first half.

But, Polley was basically useless. Whaley did not do much. Sanogo showed some good post moves. Not much from Cole. Would have won with Bouk.

Mamu is a tough one to guard with his ability to shoot 3's and his post-ups.

On the failure to call the timeout to stop Seton Hall's run or to change momentum, game stoppages from a quirky play clock or wiping a wet spot, or anything that stops a game is never good for the team with momentum. So then, a quicker timeout would at least have maybe stopped or delayed the bleeding.

UConn_Top_Dog

"Your school wins games... WE WIN CHAMPIONSHIPS!"
Reaction Score
Mods really need to add a “Dislike” button...

back2BE4us

The Carpenter will carpent.
Reaction Score
I seem to recall Hurley talking how Gaff hasn’t taken the leap in year 2 as expected. Gaffney hasn’t given him any reason, up until this game, to warrant getting significant minutes.

If this happens next game where Gaffney doesn’t get more PT than Adams then I’ll understand the complaints here but Gaffney has been a wet blanket up until this game. At least Hurley made the adjustment in the second half when it was obvious who deserved those minutes.

Oh...and UConn won’t win another game this season giving up 80. This team isn’t built for that. This game was an outlier. Chill everyone.

Be happy Jackson looked promising and Bouk is back...

QDOG5

I dont have a drug problem I have a police problem
Reaction Score
I read these posts and all I can think is hold on, hold on, time out. Oops, I mean no time out.

Reaction Score
I agree but if you pay attention Hurley always either lets our lead slip away or lets the other teams lead balloon to double digits
The players have something to do with that as well. Yeah, he can call a timeout and should but that doesn't guarantee an immediate turnaround. He's far from perfect but the blame game is strong here. Missing our all american, Ajax, Akok, 3 covid layoffs, mssed foul shots and bad defense have played a role in losses as well. Never just one thing. He needs to improve in some areas, but this is a day at the beach compared to a few years ago, especially considering all the obstacles this year and step up in competition. Expectations and people being cooped up have people extra salty this year. I get it. Silver linings are getting old but AJax, Gaff and Sanogo were all encouraging. Bottom line is our season hinges on how soon Bouk comes back and staying away from Covid stops once he does.

Reaction Score
Gaffney played over Adams almost the entire 2nd half
True enough - and I’m pretty sure the 2nd half stats show that was a good decision that should have happened 20 minutes earlier.

Reaction Score
I think today it finally sunk into Hurley's head that Adams is not a rotational piece on this team. Spot minutes when there's foul trouble, sure, but he was worse defensively today than he was on offense, which certainly says something. With Jackson back, and hopefully Bouk in a few days, there's no time to pussyfoot around this when we're not a lock for the tournament. Hurley has to make the adjustment immediately.

Reaction Score
Surely a muddy start for us against a hot shooting team from NJ. We didn't play up, very soft for 10-14 minutes. Jackson/Gaffney look like a good combo with our freshman big if he can stay on the court. A time out 6 minutes in might have helped settle us down, not called so late in the first half and down 15. The size of SH really hurt us a lot, we had no answers. In fairness, SH has played 7 more games this season than ourselves, that is missed quality time for newcomers.

A big problem with our current line-up is the wasted dribble/holding time of our guards, no sense of time but repeatedly running the clock down to under 10 seconds before driving to the hoop. We are almost playing the clock like were ahead! This is poor time management. The SH coach pressed most of the game taking at least 10+ seconds off our shot clock. He knew we take too many passes after being in the half court prior to taking a shot. Our coaches/players never seemed to adjust to this aspect. This is maddening to see with 4-5 minutes left and down 5 points!

We also lack a good midrange shooter in the current set-up. We need a Rip Hamilton type pullup shooter. Why can't Polly do more of this rather than only look for his 3 pointer? We were not successful getting the ball inside the top of the key at all except on drives to hoop.

Reaction Score
He took his first timeout at what?, under 4 when we were already down 18 and playing like garbage? He continued with the same lineup that got us down 18.

He never ever stops an opposing team's run and continues to play Adams over Gaffney.

Jackson, Gaffney, and Polley should play in front of him.

How many days have we missed due to our ridiculous protocols? Almost a month's worth. There is no way that also has an affect on the team.

In-Game coaching definitely needs work. It's like the little engine that almost could with Hurley and the team against good teams. BAdams playing so much and Cole as our main point guard is killing the team. Polley not being put in positions to get shots open is making us easy to scout and beat.

Teams don't even worry about our inside game or penetration from guards. Teams know stay tight on Polley and the whole team is discombobulated.

Not utilizing timeouts well, the right players not playing nearly enough or put in positions to succeed is a big problem.

PS: AJacks needs to run point at least half of the game moving forward to change the dynamic. He needs to alternate with Gaff.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom