Hurley Costs Us Another Game. Will the reporters ask some tough questions? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Hurley Costs Us Another Game. Will the reporters ask some tough questions?

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
You cannot fall behind 18 points in the first half and say "we should have won that game". Regardless of how the rest of the game plays out, you can't expect to win after falling behind by almost 20 points.

Keep in mind we also came out flat in our first game vs Creighton after a 17 day Covid lay off. Im not making excuses, but these extremely long breaks in the season are very bad.
exactly

Reaction Score
50% from the field, 50% from three and 86% from the free throw line but Hurley didn’t call a timeout!!

Give some credit where credit is due, It felt like seton hall hit every big shot and quite frankly threw in a lot of junk.

Chalk it up as one of those days - the fact that we continue to compete without an all American 20 PPG scorer and with the numerous layoffs due to covid is a positive you have to give the coaching staff credit for
You call a timeout to try and stop that momentum. Have you people not watched college hoops before???? It’s on Page 2 of the College Basketball Coach’s Handbook.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
You cannot fall behind 18 points in the first half and say "we should have won that game". Regardless of how the rest of the game plays out, you can't expect to win after falling behind by almost 20 points.

Keep in mind we also came out flat in our first game vs Creighton after a 17 day Covid lay off. Im not making excuses, but these extremely long breaks in the season are very bad.

Almost leads a reporter to ask if Hurley did anything different during this shut down compared to others when the team back flat? Almost.

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
50% from the field, 50% from three and 86% from the free throw line but Hurley didn’t call a timeout!!

Give some credit where credit is due, It felt like seton hall hit every big shot and quite frankly threw in a lot of junk.

Chalk it up as one of those days - the fact that we continue to compete without an all American 20 PPG scorer and with the numerous layoffs due to covid is a positive you have to give the coaching staff credit for
Are those first half stats?

Reaction Score
A lot of the 1st half was due to rust. Hurley solved the Gaffney, Jackson dilemma in the 2nd half, no one knew they would play this well when the game started. Jackson (I hope) will start taking extensive Adams minutes.

My only question of Hurley is 'why allow Martin to play so passive offensively?'. It frustrates me seeing him defer his talent every possession. He's Bouk's replacement not anyone else.

Reaction Score
Stop! This loss is not on Hurley, or anybody else on the coaching staff. We had not played in 10 days, and we still don't have Bouknight. That's why we lost.
And Seton Hall hit everything. Our defense wasn't good enough, but a team shooting well over their averages from everywhere, including a few prayers, isn't on the coaches.

Reaction Score
lol ok.

This isn't a one-time thing. Every game he does this

This and with Top recruits now how much longer can we use the excuse "well this is a top (insert ranking for a conference or AP poll here team)." Have we seriously reached a point where we accept losing because a team is ranked or not at the bottom of a conference? Talk about setting the bar low and being happy when its almost reached.

Reaction Score
Don’t know why people are putting a lot of stock into this game. We score 70+ without James, lose to a top 4 team in conference when they have a season best 3pt shooting night, we get our best player back, and our supporting cast is playing well. Of our next 4 games we have 2 Q2 games and 2 Q1 games. I think they’re all winnable.

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
Don’t know why people are putting a lot of stock into this game. We score 70+ without James, lose to a top 4 team in conference when they have a season best 3pt shooting night, we get our best player back, and our supporting cast is playing well. Of our next 4 games we have 2 Q2 games and 2 Q1 games. I think they’re all winnable.
We were down 18 and they did nothing to stop it or slow the bleeding. It's always like this against decent to good teams

Reaction Score
If the idea is you want Hurley to realize his mistake, he did. By playing Gaffney over Adams in the 2nd half
He needs to realize sooner. That’s what good coaches do. Adams was giving him NOTHING (as usual) and we were digging ourselves a hole. It’s a pattern. React faster.

you do know the definition of insanity right?? Hurley is insane when it comes to Adams. It needs to stop.

Reaction Score
I do t blame Hurley, and maybe I missed something, but when we were down by 6 or so with about 1 minute left, why wasn’t Polley in? That confused me because he’s really the only guy on the team who could hit 3”a really quickly from anywhere

Reaction Score
We gave up 80 points without our best scorer in Bouk. Not exactly a winning formula. Normally 73 is enough for us to win with the D we usually play. Just couldn't get any key stops under 10 minutes. Seton Hall just scores the ball much easier than us. Have more consistent options.

Reaction Score
He needs to realize sooner. That’s what good coaches do. Adams was giving him NOTHING (as usual) and we were digging ourselves a hole. It’s a pattern. React faster.

you do know the definition of insanity right?? Hurley is insane when it comes to Adams. It needs to stop.

100% agree. Unless he proves otherwise Adams is a waste of opportunity on the court. Hurley plays the same crappy line ups that go on 10 minute scoring droughts with out calling time outs and then people give him the "well he doesnt have Bouk" card. Others will say ... well we don't have another ball handler...excuses all over the place

Reaction Score

Yes, I agree he needs to stop playing Adams and I wish he realized 10 games ago. My point is he did finally realize in the 2nd half today so the question seems pointless

Reaction Score
give me the deets. What Adjustments had to be made? Having maintenance loose in the rims up a little bit so we could get better bounces?
You can't be serious? Even the announcers were calling for a time out for multiple possessions at at a loss to explain why there wasn't. You're kids need to regroup and maybe personnel needs to change. You don't think you should call time outs to stop the other team's momentum?

Reaction Score
I do t blame Hurley, and maybe I missed something, but when we were down by 6 or so with about 1 minute left, why wasn’t Polley in? That confused me because he’s really the only guy on the team who could hit 3”a really quickly from anywhere

if it were that easy for polley, he'd be scoring a lot more than the handful of points he's had since the marquette game

Reaction Score
A lot of the 1st half was due to rust. Hurley solved the Gaffney, Jackson dilemma in the 2nd half, no one knew they would play this well when the game started. Jackson (I hope) will start taking extensive Adams minutes.

My only question of Hurley is 'why allow Martin to play so passive offensively?'. It frustrates me seeing him defer his talent every possession. He's Bouk's replacement not anyone else.
But Adams has a track record doesn’t he?? He’s put up a bunch of clunkers this year. Start him if you want, but be ready w the hook. You just made everyone’s point. He doesn’t know how anyone is gonna play on any given night. If it ain’t working and you fall behind quickly, you change it up.....you don’t just sit there and take it!!!! That’s what a deer in the headlights does. And the deer usually winds up dead.

Reaction Score
But Adams has a track record doesn’t he?? He’s put up a bunch of clunkers this year. Start him if you want, but be ready w the hook. You just made everyone’s point. He doesn’t know how anyone is gonna play on any given night. If it ain’t working and you fall behind quickly, you change it up.....you don’t just sit there and take it!!!! That’s what a deer in the headlights does. And the deer usually winds up dead.
I expect Adams to have lost his starting position today, partly because of Jackson and the other part is were losing with him starting.

Reaction Score
if it were that easy for polley, he'd be scoring a lot more than the handful of points he's had since the marquette game
It hasn’t been easy for him and he had a bad game today, but he still can hit a 3 at any moment, down six with under a minute left for our team, he should be in there for NOT MATTER WHAT!

Reaction Score
Yes, I agree he needs to stop playing Adams and I wish he realized 10 games ago. My point is he did finally realize in the 2nd half today so the question seems pointless
Wanna bet Adams starts again next game?? Then it won’t be pointless. And it’s not pointless today cuz it cost us the game.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom