Hurley coaching malpractice | Page 6 | The Boneyard

Hurley coaching malpractice

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
So if we are a similar team to St. John’s with Bouknight out, and Alexander is probably the best player between the two teams without Bouk, why are we acting as if this was some major letdown? They’ve been playing over their heads without Bouk. Polley turned into Klay Thompson for 2 1/2 games for crying out loud. We lost to a similarly talented team in conference. It happens. Readjust your expectations for this team minus Bouk. Unless you know polley is draining 6-7 threes a game at a 65% clip

Come on. St. John’s stinks. Whaley erased Alexander. We could go big and dominate them, and did whenever we went big today. Even without Bouk this shouldn’t have been close.

Reaction Score
So this is what had to ride the pine because they played guards.

Sonogo.jpg

Reaction Score
Hurley coaches for defense. St. John’s played us small and spread us out 5 outside the three point line. They used that to their advantage to take us off the dribble with no help inside. That’s why Sanogo can’t be on the floor because as good as he flashed he can’t defend that way on the perimeter. You couldn’t exploit us like that if we had bouk’s scoring.

Hurley’s post time out sets down the stretch (Adams turn down ball screen to find Martin on the skip pass and the draw up for Polley and Martins two man game in the corner) were both effective.

Many of you don’t know what you’re watching.
You banging the beehive ‘Chip’

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
You do realize 3/4 of ncaa teams aren’t as good a creighton on offense. Who are these offensive juggernauts we’ll be facing sans nova?

You're going with "UConn is secretly a bad defensive team"? Really?

Are you two going with St. Johns, Depaul and Butler are good teams? Really?

Reaction Score
Cole is so much better off the ball. Really ineffective creating for others and creating his own shot, he's a solid catch and shoot guy though.

Gaffney needs more playing time imo. Let him make mistakes. He's showed us flashes of great play like in the Houston win last year. Would also not mind seeing Adams as a primary ball handler in some sets. None of those 3 guys are effective "true Point guards", so just because Cole is the best ball handler of the 3 doesn't mean he has to be dribbling for 15 seconds every possession
Agreed.

Gaff needs more development and game experience. I'm optimistic that he will still become what we think he can be.

Cole is an improvement over last year's talent, but currently no where close to the type of UConn point guard we desperately need for this team to really take off.

polycom

I heard a beep, who just joined?
Reaction Score
Lol Hurley defenders sound like ollie defenders. Hurley coached poorly today, nothing less nothing more. The line was 7 we were up by 14. We adjusted our play style to our opponents when we were beating them up. That’s on the coach not the players. Game shouldn’t have come down to free throws.

Reaction Score
Up 21-7 in first half. Bring in four subs and watch the lead evaporate as we struggle to score. In the second half with a 7-1 advantage in team fouls Sanogo is out at 12:46 and as each minute goes by I am waiting for him to go back in for either Polley or Adams. Hurley just doubles down on a group that was struggling to score at that point and then they could not make free throws. Whaley and Sanogo should have been in together the last 10 minutes of that game. Why no Akok in the second half? He saved the ball in the first half and beat the team down the floor. No reason to nail him to the bench either.

Reaction Score
Are you two going with St. Johns, Depaul and Butler are good teams? Really?
No... Which is why we didn't say that. You know you can measure defense relative to the competition right? You don't only judge it versus the good teams? And even then, you listed the three good teams and we played good defense against all of then (We held Creighton to 15 pts /100p below their average).

Reaction Score
You play them together, this really isn't that difficult.
Exactly. Whaley can certainly do better on whoever Polley is letting through for layups, and Sanogo can take who Whaley had. Whaley + Sanogo > Polley & Whaley.

Reaction Score
Explanation for the Sanogo sub and offense without James here:

“We can overcome that problem, but we can’t give up 74 points. We’re not winning a game like today, that’s played in the seventies, with some of the limitations that we have offensively."

Come on . Both teams hit 24 field goals and 7 three's. SJU hit 4 more free throws, 19-15. That game certainly was winnable.

BParkDog

I will see number 5.
Reaction Score
And with [Sanogo] in at least SOMEONE would’ve been in the paint to attempt to stop Posh from dominating Cole.
Agree that Sanogo should have played more.
Disagree that he would have "been in the paint." Unless we played zone, which likely would have sucked.
Sanogo's man would have been planted at the 3 point line.

Reaction Score
Plus, I was watching the foul situation and St. John's had either just reached the limit or gone over it when Sanogo went out. We were in the Bonus+ with over 5 minutes left. Perfect situation for feeding a big in the paint.
Provided the big can hit free throws. Hack-A-Shaq was at times effective because he was such a bad free throw shooter.

I was calling for more Sanogo early in in the chat and I was disappointed when he came out and never returned. I don't think we would have been effective with 2 bigs, but I'd use one and and I would have played the hot hand. He also had 2 nice defensive plays before he took a seat. Oh well, next game.

Reaction Score
Cole burned us twice and Martin once at FT line. S..... happens. Cost us.
Whaley and Gaf have been clutch. Adams and Poley and Songo?
Got to give more responsibility to Gafney. He,
Whaley and Bouk are the heart and soul of this team.
PISSED..

Reaction Score
There were available minutes in the second half for Sanogo. At the end of the game I understand going with Whaley and 4 wings/guards but Sanogo was left out for way too long. Uconn won the first half and Whaley, akok, Carlton and Sanogo all played.
Akok?

Reaction Score
St. John's went small, so I get his thinking, but at some point when you go small to match them and still can't play any defense, you bring in your bigs and go zone. Just terrible coaching
st JOHNS DICTATED our game by ging small. thats where Coach was out coached. Also, Cole is in over his head. Never should be in game at winning time. A Coach Calhouns expression.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Also, Cole is in over his head. Never should be in game at winning time. A Coach Calhouns expression.
And who do you see playing in his stead?

dennismenace

ONE MORE CAST
Reaction Score
I disagree. Missing countless free throws in the clutch lost us the game, blowing lay up after layup last us the game, our defenders constantly getting blown by lost us the game. Adama MAYBE solves one of those problems. Some of you are suggesting Adama would’ve carried us to a win. I’m skeptical. Hurley made a call and traded offense for defense. It didn’t work, move on.
We only lost by four points and were ahead almost the whole game.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NewErA

Top Bottom