2021 Recruiting: - Hunter Salis update | The Boneyard

2021 Recruiting: Hunter Salis update

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Reaction Score
“Really the blue blood programs that have recruited me are still involved. The schools around the area like Creighton, Nebraska, Iowa State, Then Florida, Alabama, Oregon, Louisville, UConn, and more,” Sallis said on who’s involved.

“I've had zooms with Kansas, UNC, Iowa State, Oregon, Alabama, Creighton, and Arkansas.”

Nothing with UConn because that hopefully means they already have their 2021 SG locked up.

Reaction Score
The schools around the area like Creighton, Nebraska, Iowa State, Then Florida, Alabama, Oregon, Louisville, UConn, and more
wow well Hurley and Co can beat out any of those programs, although later in the article he does mention UNC, Kansas, and UK.

as a CG sallis would be a great fit between diggins and hawkins.

my question is whether this is evidence that a 5* is the exception to waiting to fill Bouk's scholly or is this evidence that a hawkins or johnson commit is in doubt?

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Here we go:
"Sallis said that he’s recently been in contact with Kentucky. He has yet to speak with head coach John Calipari, but, he says that he’s been talking with an assistant and they said they would love to watch more of him in-person. They’ve been watching his film and looking at games online. As far as his recruitment remains open, could see if UK bolsters more interest."

Translation: They have someone else they'd prefer but want to keep him on a string so they can reel him in if necessary. Let's see, Hamidou Diallo, Wenyen Gabriel. Hard to believe CAL hasn't found the time to speak with someone so highly regarded. What's he doing? Sewing face masks?

Reaction Score
Eversource was woefully unprepared for this storm. Hearing it could be "2 weeks" for some folks in CT before they get power. Eversource's outage reporting tool crashed. Still no ETAs for when power is returning for almost everyone I talk to. I don't even see crews/trucks when I am around town (Brookfield/Danbury/Newtown). Eversource said they're estimating to have 99% of individuals with power by TUESDAY night... no chance that happens based on how things have gone so far.

On top of all that, an Eversource executive said the cost of the work done after Isaias will go into customers' bills at some point. So we have that to look forward to.

Even before the storm, they were accused of jacking-up their "delivery fees" in the summer months and blaming it on "high AC usage". For many, the "deliver fees" were more than the cost of actual electricity used. All this price gouging during a pandemic where many are struggling financially.

Why do we allow these utility monopolies to operate? There's no competition for Eversource so they can just coast through everything, jack up our rates, and then when situations like this occur, there's no alternative and surely no repercussions.

Cable companies are just as bad. Lamont won't do anything about these utility monopolies in our state. We just have to deal with it. In this day and age, it's completely unacceptable.
It's been a problem long before Lamont has been in office. Awful company.

Reaction Score
They have someone else they'd prefer but want to keep him on a string so they can reel him in if necessary. Let's see, Hamidou Diallo, Wenyen Gabriel. Hard to believe CAL hasn't found the time to speak with someone so highly regarded. What's he doing? Sewing face masks?
why wouldn't sallis want to be a coaches top priority, like diggins implied about Hurley v. Wright?

I get why players want to play for coach K, but i've never understood why they flock to UK to play for a used car salesmen that does nothing in terms of player development and cant win a chip without the best college player of the past 20 years.

if they have the talent they'll make it to the nba coming from most P5/BE schools and they wouldnt have to come off the bench (e.g. Devin Booker, Khalil Whitney, EJ Montgomery), or be over shadowed by superstars (e.g. Davis, Wall, Clark).

edit- this comment is aimed specifically at guys like johnny juzang and camron fletcher who commit knowing theyre locked into at best a 6th man role behind top 10-15 guys in the same class that play the same position

Last edited:
Reaction Score
why wouldn't sallis want to be a coaches top priority, like diggins implied about Hurley v. Wright?

I get why 5* players want to play for coach K, but i've never understood why they flock to UK to play for a used car salesmen that does nothing in terms of player development and cant win a chip without the best college player of the past 20 years.

if they have the talent they'll make it to the nba coming from most P5/BE schools and they wouldnt have to come off the bench (e.g. Devin Booker, Khalil Whitney, EJ Montgomery), or be over shadowed by superstars (e.g. Davis, Wall, Clark).
He definitely gives of a sleazy vibe, I’m not a fan of Coach Cal at all, I think his actual coaching is a bit overrated. He should have at least another championship or two to his name.

But I’ll disagree with the player development stuff. I mean, the guys he’s coached and put into the league speak for themselves, that’s why guys want to play there even if they’re not “the top option.” If you play for Cal, you have a solid chance of being a lottery pick, everyone knows it, they’re track record is better than any college out there right now. He’s had 21 lottery picks and 29 first round picks at Kentucky, it’s pretty staggering. Maybe he’s not the best coach or best developer of talent, but man that resume sells itself to these high level players.

Reaction Score
If you play for Cal, you have a solid chance of being a lottery pick, everyone knows it, they’re track record is better than any college out there right now. He’s had 21 lottery picks and 29 first round picks at Kentucky, it’s pretty staggering. Maybe he’s not the best coach or best developer of talent, but man that resume sells itself to these high level players
my point is that reputation has less to do with Cal than the players themselves. they were NBA bound regardless of who the coach was, to a significant degree. i'm not saying kevin ollie would have been able to get them all to the league as quickly but dozens of other coaches could have if they were at UK instead. if calhoun had been the coach at UK this whole time every player he ever signed might be in the league right now.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
my point is that reputation is unwarranted and has less to do with Cal than the players themselves. they were NBA bound regardless of who the coach was, to a significant degree. i'm not saying kevin ollie would have been able to get them all to the league but dozens of other coaches could have.
I hear ya, they’re high level players already so it’s more likely that they would get to the league. I’m sure there are other coaches who could do that, but no one has to the level that he has. He’s the grandfather of the one and done. It’s clear when you go play for him, the expectation is you’ll be a lottery pick. No other program (not even Duke ) can really say that. It’s crazy to look back and see the guys he’s produced even since like 2015.
PJ Washington, Tyler Herro, SGA, De’Aaron Fox, Malik Monk, Bam Adebayo, Jamal Murray, KAT, Devon Booker etc etc. That’s quite the list to sell to recruits. Not saying I like him or I’d play for him, but I get the appeal for 5 star kids and why they would.

Reaction Score
Not saying I like him or I’d play for him, but I get the appeal for 5 star kids and why they would.
with the talent Cal brings in to begin with, he'd have more than 1 chip if he consistently developed them into better players. but i'm not faulting the top 10-15 ranked guys that walk into starting roles, i get that. this is about the borderline 5* players that get buried on the depth chart

Reaction Score
with the talent Cal brings in to begin with, he'd have more than 1 chip if he consistently developed them into better players. but i'm not faulting the top 10-15 ranked guys that walk into starting roles, i get that. this is about the borderline 5* players that get buried on the depth chart

Wenyen Gabriel is a prime example. Goes to UK last minute and isn't able to do anything on the court so his stock drops. Now he's all over the news because he is telling recruits NOT to go to UK and had a falling out with Cal

Reaction Score
Wenyen Gabriel is a prime example. Goes to UK last minute and isn't able to do anything on the court so his stock drops. Now he's all over the news because he is telling recruits NOT to go to UK and had a falling out with Cal
here's hoping recruits and their mentors start to realize the emperor has no clothes. with juzang and whitney both transferring out of last year's class it might be starting

Reaction Score
here's hoping recruits and their mentors start to realize the emperor has no clothes. with juzang and whitney both transferring out of last year's class it might be starting

My soapbox presentation would include the aforementioned Wenyen Gabriel plus Hamidou Diallo, Doron Lamb and quite a few more. Doron was the higher rated Lamb coming out of high school in the same class as Jeremy. Where's Doron today? God knows, but it's not in the NBA on a long term contract.
A top 10 player becoming a lottery pick after spending 7 months on campus is more a testimony to their god given abilities than to development.
Calipari is a salesman. He got notoriety recruiting for Pitt then made his mark at UMass, reportedly with the pipeline he had from the Connecticut AAU guy whose name escapes me. He took undersized guys who wanted to prove the major schools' recruiters wrong (Jim McCoy, Harper Williams, etc.) and knew how to use them. If Bill Bayno didn't lock up Marcus Camby, where would he be today? Maybe at Kentucky, but not for sure. You have to give him credit for sales, not for development. Camby had a nice career but I wonder what might have been in college and the NBA if he had played for Calhoun. No, I don't wonder, I know.
Calhoun always told his players he would use his sources to let them know if they would be a high pick and if they were ready. Otherwise he would tell them, as he did with RIP, to stay one more year because the life changing money is in the second contract and that comes from skill and knowledge he imparted to them on what it takes to really make it. Not just a flash in the pan and nothing beyond three years.

QuickDraw

NCSWIC
Reaction Score
I'd take him with the third ship if he wanted to commit today, without a doubt. A gt in the spring and #5 would not be far from reach

olehead

Atomic Dogs!
Reaction Score

I get why players want to play for coach K, but i've never understood why they flock to UK to play for a used car salesmen that does nothing in terms of player development and cant win a chip without the best college player of the past 20 years.

edit- this comment is aimed specifically at guys like johnny juzang and camron fletcher who commit knowing theyre locked into at best a 6th man role behind top 10-15 guys in the same class that play the same position
Cam Fletcher can come here next year and get ready for the league battling against Andre every day. Multi-skilled and long.

Edit: Am I in violation of unspoken of but understood "tampering" BY rules?

Reaction Score
I'd take him with the third ship if he wanted to commit today, without a doubt. A gt in the spring and #5 would not be far from reach

The 3rd ship is Samson Johnson already right?

dennismenace

ONE MORE CAST
Reaction Score

Reaction Score
My mindset is a little different, if I'm a borderline 5* player, why not play with the best players, only helps your game. Example SGA was high 30s I think and beat out Quade Green top 15

Reaction Score
My mindset is a little different, if I'm a borderline 5* player, why not play with the best players, only helps your game.
It helps your game when you get your butt off the bench. If I'm Juzang, why would I sign with UK when there were already two higher ranked commits that play the same position as me?

Reaction Score
It helps your game when you get your butt off the bench. If I'm Juzang, why would I sign with UK when there were already two higher ranked commits that play the same position as me?
Every player is different, but in his defense he did get more mins near the end of the year, also the only one coming back is Keion Brooks and I'm not high on him(he should have chose a different school) can juzang beat out Boston and Clarke and the others, maybe.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom