2021 Recruiting: - Hunter Salis update | Page 2 | The Boneyard

2021 Recruiting: Hunter Salis update

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I get why players want to play for coach K, but i've never understood why they flock to UK to play for a used car salesmen that does nothing in terms of player development and cant win a chip without the best college player of the past 20 years.

Because you get more exposure at Kentucky than elsewhere other than Duke. Playing with other great players means you get scouted more. Plus the ESPN/media/BBN hype machine.

Reaction Score
Because you get more exposure at Kentucky than elsewhere other than Duke. Playing with other great players means you get scouted more. Plus the ESPN/media/BBN hype machine.

Nah I don't believe that but the fact is many parents do. Well maybe they see you more often but if you're a top player at Seton Hall/Creighton or Duke/UK they aren't analyzing you any differently and scouting you just as much as they feel warranted for their interest in that player.

polycom

I heard a beep, who just joined?
Reaction Score
Nah I don't believe that but the fact is many parents do. Well maybe they see you more often but if you're a top player at Seton Hall/Creighton or Duke/UK they aren't analyzing you any differently and scouting you just as much as they feel warranted for their interest in that player.

Branding. Zion isn't Zion if he goes to Seton Hall. His brand becomes what it is because he went to duke.

Reaction Score

it’s all the brand. Many/most would want to go to a school that probably has the strongest fan base in the country, hosts all 32 nba teams for scouting practices, and is all but guaranteed to have media talking heads blowing fairy dust about them constantly. Besides, it’s not like the only relationship$ made are on the basketball court directly.

if I was a kid that wanted the EASY, friction free road to the NBA, I’d chicken out and pick UK too.;)

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score

Fixed it for you. It's 2020. If you have talent every NBA team will see you and scout you. See Morant, Ja.

First sentence is true because of the third sentence.

Reaction Score
Every player is different, but in his defense he did get more mins near the end of the year, also the only one coming back is Keion Brooks and I'm not high on him(he should have chose a different school) can juzang beat out Boston and Clarke and the others, maybe.
Two things.

1) Juzang played a grand total of two 19+ minute games in 2020.

2) Juzang is now with UCLA.

Reaction Score
Fixed it for you. It's 2020. If you have talent every NBA team will see you and scout you. See Morant, Ja.

Scouting is definitely more thorough and complete than it ever was. No argument from me.

Still think there are inherent biases that creep in and that more scout exposure is only a good thing if you are decent. I'm not sure if Tyrese Maxey is a late lottery/mid first rounder if he plays elsewhere. He lit up the Champions Classic and that carried him through a mediocre rest of season.

Reaction Score

Morant didn't just have talent, he was unbelievably good with beyond-elite athleticism and playmaking skills. Sure, if that's you, then you'll get scouted appropriately. But for other guys with "just" great athleticism and talent, Kentucky is a place where they obviously believe they can have the time of their lives, get tons of national exposure, and play with a bunch of other future lottery picks in front of a crazy fanbase. Calipari is a good salesman, but he's selling a very appealing product. Not a mystery to me why kids go there

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Morant didn't just have talent, he was unbelievably good with beyond-elite athleticism and playmaking skills. Sure, if that's you, then you'll get scouted appropriately. But for other guys with "just" great athleticism and talent, Kentucky is a place where they obviously believe they can have the time of their lives, get tons of national exposure, and play with a bunch of other future lottery picks in front of a crazy fanbase. Calipari is a good salesman, but he's selling a very appealing product. Not a mystery to me why kids go there

Players who have "just" great athleticism and talent are found all over the world. This isn't complicated.

I completely understand and agree with others, if you want to ride out the mandatory one year of college before going pro, practice against high level competition and get plenty of expsosure, Kentucky is tough to beat.

I absolutely do not agree with the perspective that playing at Kentucky will get your talent seen and discovered whereas it goes unnoticed at other schools.

Reaction Score
The problem with the Kentucky model is the team will always be good, but they won’t win NCAA championships. Eventually, the Kentucky fans will become dissatisfied with the model and demand change as the fans want to win championships.

Reaction Score
So there's the answer as to why their underperforming head coach went after Kenya.............but at least he didn't hire Sallis' father as an assistant.
did i miss something? UConn didn't make his top 12 after hunter was recruiting him. us getting diggins and hawkins couldnt have eliminated us from consideration since sallis is a CG and wouldve fit perfectly with them. furthermore, i doubt staff wouldve ignored sallis even though we are technically out of schollys after signing hawkins. bouk has made it clear he's leaving (not to mention chief has implied there will be at least one more early exit)

Last edited:
Reaction Score
did i miss something? UConn didn't make his top 12 after hunter was recruiting him. us getting diggins and hawkins couldnt have eliminated us from consideration since sallis is a CG and wouldve fit perfectly with them. furthermore, i doubt staff wouldve ignored sallis even though we are technically out of schollys after signing hawkins. bouk has made it clear he's leaving (not to mention chief has implied there will be at least one more early exit)
Maybe a kid from Nebraska didn’t want to come all the way up north but Indiana is more palatable for his family travel wise. Either way I agree with your general premise

Reaction Score
Maybe a kid from Nebraska didn’t want to come all the way up north but Indiana is more palatable for his family travel wise. Either way I agree with your general premise
Maybe there was a relationship from when Kenya was@ Nebraska.

formerlurker

www.stjude.org
Reaction Score

I tend to lean this way too. Especially a kid named "Hunter".

I've got 2 buddies with son's named Hunter. Guess what both Dad's like to do with their son's?

Reaction Score
I get why players want to play for coach K, but i've never understood why they flock to UK to play for a used car salesmen that does nothing in terms of player development and cant win a chip without the best college player of the past 20 years.

Kentucky has a great fan base maybe the best. To deny that is just naive ..Anyone in that job should be able to recruit. I’m not a Calipiri fan as an on court coach but he is a great salesman. Great Fan Base + Great Salesmen is a pretty good combination. Now if he could only coach they would have double digit NC.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom