OT: - Huge news for Travelers Championship | The Boneyard

OT: Huge news for Travelers Championship

Reaction Score
Not sure what 2014 Tiger will be like if it ever happens:

iMoT2anF025Ov-gif_155725.gif

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
This is massively good news for the Traveler's for next year.

With PGA mimicking LIV having more small field limited entry events with a majority of the top players in them, plus the majors, plus the WGC events, the weekly filler PGA tour events will be hanging by a thread.

They'll rotate the "elevated event" status amongst these events and Traveler's made it for 2023. Even if they only get elevated status every 3-4 years, they can hang their hat on that and use the in between years to promote young up and coming players.

"While the nine previously-announced events will have elevated status every year, it’s expected that the four unveiled this week will rotate between tournaments each season, ensuring that every sponsor interested in paying for elevated status would be guaranteed the best possible field every few years.
The elevated events won’t be the same in 2024,” said one person who has been briefed on the plan. “These events worked with a schedule that had already been announced.”

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
There oughta be a rule that these guys have to play each tournament a least once. Even Jack played the GHO twice. But I don't care about Tiger anymore. Watching him is like watching old guys wrestle.

Reaction Score
This is massively good news for the Traveler's for next year.

With PGA mimicking LIV having more small field limited entry events with a majority of the top players in them, plus the majors, plus the WGC events, the weekly filler PGA tour events will be hanging by a thread.

They'll rotate the "elevated event" status amongst these events and Traveler's made it for 2023. Even if they only get elevated status every 3-4 years, they can hang their hat on that and use the in between years to promote young up and coming players.

"While the nine previously-announced events will have elevated status every year, it’s expected that the four unveiled this week will rotate between tournaments each season, ensuring that every sponsor interested in paying for elevated status would be guaranteed the best possible field every few years.
The elevated events won’t be the same in 2024,” said one person who has been briefed on the plan. “These events worked with a schedule that had already been announced.”
The weekly filler events were generally pretty bad and drew bad ratings anyways so I'm not even sure how much this changes anything there. I think this model is a great one to still give the unproven guys a pathway, while keeping the big names happy with bigger payouts. Gotta imagine it's going to be hard for LIV to snag many other big names with the changes that have been made. I think they'll have to turn their attention much more to guys just out of college that don't want to grind their way up to the PGA.

XLCenterFan

CT, NE
Reaction Score
There oughta be a rule that these guys have to play each tournament a least once. Even Jack played the GHO twice. But I don't care about Tiger anymore. Watching him is like watching old guys wrestle.
I believe there is/was a rule. Some guys would just pay the fine.

Also, there are different rules for different players (players with lifetime membership status vs. those without such status). So basically an up and coming tour player would have to play every event at least once within 5 or so years or face a fine/suspension, and an established vet could pick and choose the 15 or so events they want to play.

XLCenterFan

CT, NE
Reaction Score
This is awesome news for CT, the charities, and golf fans in the Northeast. As if the Travelers needed help getting better...now it will!

Reaction Score
Excellent news and well earned given the support from Travelers and the fans!

But not a guarantee for every year....

"it’s expected that the four unveiled this week will rotate between tournaments each season, ensuring that every sponsor interested in paying for elevated status would be guaranteed the best possible field every few years."

Also sounds like Travelers had to pony up and they already have...... it'll be interesting to see if they continue to do that after this year.

Reaction Score
I'm a golf nut so I'll watch the smaller events. I like the storylines of guys trying to hang onto their cards or make life changing $ than seeing Rory finish 4th and clear another 900k

Reaction Score
I’m in the camp that this will not be good for this tournament and the others in the rotation. The “game” of golf has been corrupted by SA, where there really isn’t any history, few courses, and no player I’ve ever heard of.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Also sounds like Travelers had to pony up and they already have...... it'll be interesting to see if they continue to do that after this year.
And the State of CT.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
I'm a golf nut so I'll watch the smaller events. I like the storylines of guys trying to hang onto their cards or make life changing $ than seeing Rory finish 4th and clear another 900k
I love to watch Rory no matter where he finishes. One of the good guys

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
The PGA Tour is tossing a lifeline to the ham and egger events like the Travelers. The tour will guarantee you a stellar field once every few years and it's up to the local officials to figure out how to make it work during the in-between years.

With local charities being a big winner of PGA Tour events it may be worth doling out the charity funds over a 2-3 year period to provide equal funding each year rather than a big sum once every few years and smaller funds during the years when the event isn't an "elevated" event.

Reaction Score

I guess at times I’d rather watch old guys wrestle. Him playing is more intriguing than some of the rock like personalities on the tour. They need more guys with some flair to get to the top.

And comparing the GHO in the 60s to today isn’t the same at all. Everyone went to Wethersfield back in the day. I agree Tiger should’ve been made to play here but he didn’t play anywhere after or before majors and we’ve always had crappy dates.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom