How UConn athletic director David Benedict views conference realignment: ‘Landscape is changing’ (Borges) | The Boneyard

How UConn athletic director David Benedict views conference realignment: ‘Landscape is changing’ (Borges)

Reaction Score

Alternate access link here

-> “I don’t think you can ever be comfortable,” athletic director David Benedict told Hearst Connecticut Media. “The nature of the landscape of college athletics right now, I don’t think anybody is comfortable, whether it’s conference realignment or the transformation that needs to take place in the NCAA.

“Just like we proactively made a decision to change conferences, I do think we certainly feel like we’re in more control of where we stand, versus (being in the American). While it was a competitive conference in a lot of ways, there was nobody committed to staying there. Everyone was always looking for something different. It was more of a matter of opportunity.”

Certainly, Benedict admits that UConn’s fan base and coaches are more comfortable and confident with where the athletic program currently sits.

“However,” he pointed out, “the landscape is changing in lots of different ways. You have to be cognizant of that, and try to manage it in the best way you possibly can, for whatever is best for your institution.” <-

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
I feel confident AD Dave gets it. He made some bold moves already, firing Ollie and moving to the Big East with Indy football, then hiring Mora seems to be an absolute Home Run. Mora has so energized the football program that I wonder if it brings us enough legitimacy to be considered by the ACC. In some ways, I wish this was happening a year from now so we could see the football team compete and win.

UConn has to jump to the ACC if it gets an invite. There's no rational argument against it and he needs to be ready to sell it, push for it with all he's got.

That said, one fallout I expect from all this is more schools playing Olympic sports in conferences and going independent in football. Seats at the soon to be "P4" table are going to be fewer, with more schools left on the sidelines. Streaming services looking for content will provide a lifeline to some of these schools.

Reaction Score
Unless we believe that UConn can be a successful football school, while also believing that UNC, NCS, and Duke will remain in the ACC, do you think we might be better off staying in the BE?
Competitively? Yes. This isn't about winning games, what fans want etc.

This is a financial deal. If UConn turns its rights from currently like $8M into $20-$30M per year, they are gone.

Reaction Score
Competitively? Yes. This isn't about winning games, what fans want etc.

This is a financial deal. If UConn turns its rights from currently like $8M into $20-$30M per year, they are gone.
I don't understand why many people think the money is still going to be there after the conferences get their most valuable assets plundered. The money is going to follow the power teams to the power conference(s) and dry up for everyone else. The value will be gone.

Reaction Score
I don't understand why many people think the money is still going to be there after the conferences get their most valuable assets plundered. The money is going to follow the power teams to the power conference(s) and dry up for everyone else. The value will be gone.
It won't be gone. They won't become worthless overnight.

The money will be less than what they get now, but still more than what we make. Or we don't go anywhere, it's that simple.

Reaction Score
the BE still has value even though its biggest assets were plundered long ago. most fans/alums will support their teams no matter what conference they are in.

we'd get a slice of a bigger tv deal playing in a football conference w/ some of the leftover schools that dont get invited to the ~60 team super conference e.g. Cuse, BC, rutgers, wake, memphis, etc. than we do now.

of course It won't be nearly as much money as the teams in the super conference will make off their tv deal(s) but we are making way less than those schools already.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Wouldn’t it be ironic once the best of the ACC is plucked at some point if the old big east football teams and ACC remnants are back together playing on ESPN for a contract close to what they were first offered 10 years ago before taking it to market and getting knifed in a dark alley by the same company.

Reaction Score
I feel confident AD Dave gets it. He made some bold moves already, firing Ollie and moving to the Big East with Indy football, then hiring Mora seems to be an absolute Home Run. Mora has so energized the football program that I wonder if it brings us enough legitimacy to be considered by the ACC. In some ways, I wish this was happening a year from now so we could see the football team compete and win.

UConn has to jump to the ACC if it gets an invite. There's no rational argument against it and he needs to be ready to sell it, push for it with all he's got.

That said, one fallout I expect from all this is more schools playing Olympic sports in conferences and going independent in football. Seats at the soon to be "P4" table are going to be fewer, with more schools left on the sidelines. Streaming services looking for content will provide a lifeline to some of these schools.

I don't follow the football team at all, but I'm obviously invested because football is the driver of $$$. What has Mora done to energize the football program? Glad to hear it though

McLovin

Gangstas, what's up?
Reaction Score
This.

Reaction Score
This.
so the BE doesnt have any value in your opinion? because iirc its "most valuable assets" were plucked off almost 10 years ago yet we were more than happy to return to it.

it's a given that we arent getting one of the golden tickets inviting us to the ~60 team super conference but that doesn't mean we would stop playing football and bball entirely. we will reorganize with some of the other leftovers into an entertaining league that i'd be more than happy to watch.

Last edited:

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Somewhat agree. I still think there will need to be content. A watered down ACC would still have value, just not the value that the Big Ten and SEC on steroids would have.

McLovin

Gangstas, what's up?
Reaction Score
so the BE doesnt have any value in your opinion? because iirc its "most valuable assets" were plucked off almost 10 years ago yet we were more than happy to return to it.

it's a given that we arent getting one of the golden tickets inviting us to the ~60 team super conference but that doesn't mean we would stop playing football and bball entirely. we will reorganize with some of the other leftovers into an entertaining league that i'd be more than happy to watch.
That’s not what So Fla Steve was saying. The NBE certainly has “value” and it’s probably right about what we’re getting now. $8M per year.

But jumping ship for the ACC for their $35M pay day is a house of cards. Their league is already starting to consider uneven payouts to the top football schools, meaning the majority of the conference payout is propped up by a few schools.

Once those school leave - now or a decade from now, the remaining assets won’t be worth too much more than the current payout for the NBE (how much is Syracuse vs UConn football or UConn vs Wake Forrest football actually worth? Hint, we already have those teams on our schedule and have a peanuts TV football contract)

We moved to the BE to steady our basketball program and restore the optics of our university to others across the NCAA (we didn’t want to be seen as an AAC school) all for the shot to try to slip into a power 5, now power 2, conference. To board a sinking ship for a short term payout (would we even get the full $35M?) seems like a suicide mission.

Edit: to add, while the position we are in now certainly isn’t “comfortable” it way better than where we were 3 years ago. And this position now leaves us with options. There are still hands to be played in the realignment shuffle, and to make a preemptive move might come back to burn us. Look at how foolish those Big 12 schools look for adding UCF and Cincy out of desperation last summer. Had they just waited they’d probably have the upper hand with the recent PAC news (now the PAC has the leverage)

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Somewhat agree. I still think there will need to be content. A watered down ACC would still have value, just not the value that the Big Ten and SEC on steroids would have.
But the question is will a watered down ACC have more value to its member schools than our current BE+Indy cash flow? I would have to think yes. Besides, we could always go back to a hybrid model like the original BE and have the football schools still play football and bball + other Olympic sports still play each other. Time is a flat circle as they say...

Reaction Score
The BE pays about 4 million a year for each school. That is about 3 million less per year than the American. The ACC pays out 36 million per school.

We need to be climbing the ladder and establishing our value. That would be easier from the ACC. The ACC would definitely be a step in the right direction.

CL82

Reaction Score
But the question is will a watered down ACC have more value to its member schools than our current BE+Indy cash flow? I would have to think yes. Besides, we could always go back to a hybrid model like the original BE and have the football schools still play football and bball + other Olympic sports still play each other. Time is a flat circle as they say...
I would think that it would. We get what $4 million in media rights from the biggest East plus another half million dollars for our contract with CBS Sports net for football. Would a water down ACC be worth more than 4 1/2 million dollars per year? Almost certainly.

Reaction Score
I would think that it would. We get what $4 million in media rights from the biggest East plus another half million dollars for our contract with CBS Sports net for football. Would a water down ACC be worth more than 4 1/2 million dollars per year? Almost certainly.
Call me crazy (I am) but if the ACC was smart and they were losing Clemson/FSU (and ND), they actually should just absorb the Big East and do a hybrid league. Let's face it, if you want to keep UNC happy it's through basketball and not football. Assuming the Big 12 stays put, you can add Memphis to bring it to an even football number (14) and then you'd have a 24 league basketball league you could regionalize into 3 divisions of 8. You could make a super basketball conference to rival the super football leagues -- it's your only hope, really to get as much money as possible.

To get your ~20 conference games, you play everyone in your division twice (14 games) and then 3 from each of the other divisions on a rotating basis. Big East Tournament in MSG could take the top 16 teams (top 4 from each division and then 4 "Wild Cards"). Hell, if you wanted to make it start on Tuesday and give out some byes to include all 24 teams, you could do that too.

(* denotes football school)

Big East Coast Conference North:
  1. BC*
  2. Syracuse*
  3. UConn*
  4. Providence
  5. Villanova
  6. Georgetown
  7. St. Johns
  8. Seton Hall
BECC Midwest
  1. Memphis*
  2. Louisville*
  3. Marquette
  4. Xavier
  5. Butler
  6. Creighton
  7. DePaul
  8. Pitt*
BECC South:
  1. UVA*
  2. Va Tech*
  3. Duke*
  4. NC State*
  5. UNC*
  6. Wake*
  7. Ga Tech*
  8. Miami*

A football conference of 14 teams is still solid: BC, Cuse, Pitt, Louisville, UVA, Va Tech, Duke, NC State, UNC, Wake, Ga Tech, Miami, Memphis, UConn. Let's face it, without Clemson or FSU the ACC is essentially useless in football -- but maybe Va Tech/Miami/Louisville/Pitt can catch fire every year and make some noise in an 8-team CFP. Also, how fun of a baseball conference would this be?

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
I don't follow the football team at all, but I'm obviously invested because football is the driver of $$$. What has Mora done to energize the football program? Glad to hear it though
A few things stick out to me, as someone who follows it but not as closely as some others (perhaps the target audience).
  • Legitimacy. He's a former UCLA head coach, NFL head coach, and the son of a former NFL head coach. He has name recognition and has deep connections in the college and pro gram. Nobody on the outside looking in (ACC) would view that hire as one a school not committed to football would make.
  • He's everywhere. He goes to softball games, baseball games, hockey games. This isn't Diaco's media panache, it's a guy who is demonstrating sincere interest in UConn athletics. A student would need to tell you whether they notice it, but I suspect they do.
  • He's recruited. Including transfers from P5 schools. Our starting QB is likely a 4 star from Penn State. A tackle from Alabama. That's a change. The time to winning in college football has been shortened by the transfer portal and he's used it well.
  • The result is a different energy around the program. Nobody expects miracles, but a guy like Mora has the ability to make UConn a winning program.

Reaction Score
What I want to see but is probably unlikely is, after Clemson and FSU leave, the ACC merges with the Big East and also takes UConn as a full member. That’d make arguably the best basketball conference with old big east rivalries aplenty, plus Duke and UNC (if UNC stays). I don’t think it should necessarily be out of the question for the ACC to consider.

CL82

Reaction Score
Call me crazy (I am) but if the ACC was smart and they were losing Clemson/FSU (and ND), they actually should just absorb the Big East and do a hybrid league. Let's face it, if you want to keep UNC happy it's through basketball and not football. Assuming the Big 12 stays put, you can add Memphis to bring it to an even football number (14) and then you'd have a 24 league basketball league you could regionalize into 3 divisions of 8. You could make a super basketball conference to rival the super football leagues -- it's your only hope, really to get as much money as possible.

To get your ~20 conference games, you play everyone in your division twice (14 games) and then 3 from each of the other divisions on a rotating basis. Big East Tournament in MSG could take the top 16 teams (top 4 from each division and then 4 "Wild Cards"). Hell, if you wanted to make it start on Tuesday and give out some byes to include all 24 teams, you could do that too.

(* denotes football school)

Big East Coast Conference North:
  1. BC*
  2. Syracuse*
  3. UConn*
  4. Providence
  5. Villanova
  6. Georgetown
  7. St. Johns
  8. Seton Hall
BECC Midwest
  1. Memphis*
  2. Louisville*
  3. Marquette
  4. Xavier
  5. Butler
  6. Creighton
  7. DePaul
  8. Pitt*
BECC South:
  1. UVA*
  2. Va Tech*
  3. Duke*
  4. NC State*
  5. UNC*
  6. Wake*
  7. Ga Tech*
  8. Miami*

A football conference of 14 teams is still solid: BC, Cuse, Pitt, Louisville, UVA, Va Tech, Duke, NC State, UNC, Wake, Ga Tech, Miami, Memphis, UConn. Let's face it, without Clemson or FSU the ACC is essentially useless in football -- but maybe Va Tech/Miami/Louisville/Pitt can catch fire every year and make some noise in an 8-team CFP. Also, how fun of a baseball conference would this be?
Interesting. And the baseball conference would definitely be fun. The problem is of course the relative value of non-football playing schools to a media contract. In essence, no one’s going to pay $30 million for Butler, etc. I suspect any combined conference probably looks more like the team list for football. I’m not sure about Memphis and I think Georgia Tech may end up in the Big Ten. I wouldn’t be too confident in UNC or Virginia either. Maybe add in West Virginia? So make it BC, Cuse, Pitt, Louisville, Va Tech, Duke, NC State, Wake, West Virginia, Miami, Memphis, UConn. Home and away for basketball, alternating home and away for football. Maybe we’d pick up a team or two from the big 12.

Reaction Score
hot takes are being thrown about with reckless abandon so this is what i think is the ultimate outcome:

the 16 B1G schools, 16 SEC schools, and 18 Big12 schools (once theyve added UW, Oregon, CO, UU, AU, ASU) break football away from the NCAA. the 10 most valuable ACC schools (ND, Clemson, FSU, Miami, UNC, Duke, UVA, Vtech, Gtech, Lville) vote to leave thereby dissolving the GOR. Those 60 teams form their own football division and host their own CFP.

The 5 leftover ACC schools (Cuse, BC, Pitt, NC State, Wake) plus Temple, Navy, Army, and Memphis merge with the 11 BE schools to form a 20 team conference with 10 football playing schools (including UConn)

the 4 leftover PAC schools (Cal, Stanford, Wazzou, OR St) join the mountain west. the AAC leftovers (ECSU, USF, Tulane, Tulsa, SMU) either dissolve or backfill again w/ independents, CUSA, SunBelt, MAC.

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom