How UConn athletic director David Benedict views conference realignment: ‘Landscape is changing’ | Page 2 | The Boneyard

How UConn athletic director David Benedict views conference realignment: ‘Landscape is changing’

Reaction Score
Dont know if this is the right thread to put this in, but I find a lot of these rumors hard to believe. As we all know, football drives the bus with this sort of change. With that said, ive been seing numerous rumours with ACC schools like Duke, UVA, etc etc. None of them make sense to me. UVA isn’t historically great by any sense of the word.. Two bowl wins in the last 15 years. Duke has been slightly better with three bowl wins in that time frame but two of those were against NIU and Temple. Indiana being the (somewhat) outlier in 2015 in an overtime game they won by a field goal. It doesnt add up to me, but at the same time Rutgers somehow joined the Big Ten in 2014 so what do I know. But are these schools, especially dook, going to bail on being in a conference with UNC? It just doesnt make sense to me.

Reaction Score
In my head, the B1G would bs the ideal landing place for UConn. More stability, better money, a place for all sports including hockey and just overall a better conference than the ACC

Reaction Score
Of course. Dave thinks that too.
We just need to be realistic. Unless UConn can make the case that we are a New York media market school, and the FB team and men's BB team are ranked in the top 10 this year, it is a stretch that UConn is going to be pulled into the B10 any time soon. The lack of an AAU membership is a big stumbling block too. That is not to say in another decade we may not land there, especially if we have AAU status. But the ACC might need us sooner than later, especially if our men's basketball is ranked in the top 20 and football has winning seasons. Right now, there are much better schools than UConn angling to get into the B10. I also think UConn has more in common with the ACC culture than the B10 culture but that could change.

Reaction Score
Not to mention the perception of UConn just being God awful. Very few would see any logic to the BIG adding UCONN.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
In my head, the B1G would bs the ideal landing place for UConn. More stability, better money, a place for all sports including hockey and just overall a better conference than the ACC
Same. Unfortunately, it’s not in the Big Ten‘s head.

Reaction Score
Same. Unfortunately, it’s not in the Big Ten‘s head.
Only way we get into the Big Ten is if we are a package deal with another east coast team. UConn gets more NYC and New England TV subs, but they would want to bring in more to expand the network.

Reaction Score
If you believe that college athletics are moving to two super conferences (BiG and SEC) and will bifurcate along those lines, then from where we sit today it's hard to see how UCONN ends up in that group. Personally, I don't think that's such a bad thing. The "super conferences" will be unfettered professional sports with big payouts to players (NIL and it's eventual extension) and free agency (the portal). It's going to be disruptive, contentious and I am willing to bet subject to corruption.

Maybe the rest of college athletics get behind a model that's a bit less driven by pure financial interests and addresses things like benefitting the student athlete. One can dream.........

Reaction Score
ACC is where Big East teams went to die. Outside of VT before Beamer retired, all the Big East teams have done absolutely nothing in the ACC. In fact, most have gotten worse.
This really is of grave concern. However, we've reached the point where paying players and coaches huge sums has become the way of the future. Reckoning day is here. Kind of like global warming is finally here, destroying stuff, our budget issues are at their max tolerance. We need to generate way more money or we are screwed. We cannot keep it going for more than another couple of years before the cracks start showing.

The idea that we can limp along in the Big East and compete long term is fallacy.

Reaction Score
This really is of grave concern. However, we've reached the point where paying players and coaches huge sums has become the way of the future. Reckoning day is here. Kind of like global warming is finally here, destroying stuff, our budget issues are at their max tolerance. We need to generate way more money or we are screwed. We cannot keep it going for more than another couple of years before the cracks start showing.

The idea that we can limp along in the Big East and compete long term is fallacy.
I with Mora at the helm the ACC still would be a great destination for football. I doubt we'll get to the Clemson or FSU (of old) levels but there's not reason with his recruiting and the add tv money that we couldn't be consistently in the top half of that conference. Heck if Wake can do it we can do it. Definitely helps basketball and baseball.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
If you believe that college athletics are moving to two super conferences (BiG and SEC) and will bifurcate along those lines, then from where we sit today it's hard to see how UCONN ends up in that group. Personally, I don't think that's such a bad thing. The "super conferences" will be unfettered professional sports with big payouts to players (NIL and it's eventual extension) and free agency (the portal). It's going to be disruptive, contentious and I am willing to bet subject to corruption.

Maybe the rest of college athletics get behind a model that's a bit less driven by pure financial interests and addresses things like benefitting the student athlete. One can dream.........

I think there will be one deviation from the two super conference model. I think the super conference will create alliances with the other conferences and it will fall along FOX vs. ESPN. Big East and UConn will some how be aligned with B1G schools for scheduling and other stuff without actually being in the conference.

I see the B1G being an umbrella organization for whatever is left of conferernce's FOX has rights to broadcast. As others have said you need a large enough pool of teams for content, regional travel and broad fan bases.

ESPN will do the same with their properties led by the SEC.

These umbrella organizations may have different rules and procedures. Each one will have their mini tournament and the winners will square off for championships. ESPN and FOX will alternate years for each of the big championships.

Reaction Score
ACC is where Big East teams went to die. Outside of VT before Beamer retired, all the Big East teams have done absolutely nothing in the ACC. In fact, most have gotten worse.
I think the BE schools that went to the ACC felt comfortable and didn't really try to improve football or dominate the ACC. Donna Shalala at Miami basically de-emphasized football when they went to the ACC and Miami is just beginning to focus on football again. Schools like UCF, Cincy, and Houston were hyper focused on improving football to get a P5 invite and did everything possible to have good football teams. Bottom line, I don't think moving conferences negatively impacted the Big East schools, but the lack of focus on improving football did.]

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom