triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Came across this on Twitter.. I scored a 26

how southern.jpg

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Just inched over the Yankee line with 6.

Reaction Score
New Englander through and through, but my maternal grandmother was from the south. At least 10 of these were staples of my childhood. I’d give a lot for some properly made chicken and dumplings.

Reaction Score
I scored a 35. Four of them I’ve eaten today. Further there are a vast majority of items on the list that I’m shocked are exclusively southern. What are you people eating????

Edited to add that I’ve actually eaten everything on the list. The ones I previously thought I hadn’t eaten we simply call something else where I grew up. My last comment above stands.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
23 and the only place south of US Highway 20 (which runs from Boston, Mass to Newport, Oregon) I've lived in the 7 states I've had residencies is Cranston, Rhode Island when I was 5. I have a hard time thinking I'm "Sho'nuff Southern".

Plus I am sure Oregon would have beaten South Carolina if they had a chance. Don't feel too "southern"".

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
8, but I think I should get bonus points because I have eaten woodchuck stew.

Last edited:

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
I think I get credit for 3. Not southern at all. I would not call myself a Yank, there must be more than just those 2 categories aren't there?

Reaction Score
21 for me. 33 for my partner. She was raised in South Texas. I spent most of my first fifteen years in Dallas. She cooks the chicken and dumplings. I'm responsible for the peach cobblers. I track the Texas Hill Country peach crop assiduously, dreading the late freezes and the Spring hail storms. Her mother was a great cook. I grew up on the infamous sixties' casseroles, usually involving cream of something Campbell's soup. But a handful of dishes my mother did continue to make. I particularly remember: chicken and dumplings, buttermilk biscuits, cornbread, chicken fried steak with mashed potatoes and creamed gravy, and fruit cobblers.

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
I scored a 35. Four of them I’ve eaten today. Further there are a vast majority of items on the list that I’m shocked are exclusively southern. What are you people eating????
There are definitely some that are not exclusively Southern. Peach cobbler is something I grew up with in New England. Some have different names. Butter Beans are lima beans up North, for example. Deviled Eggs originated in England, so are popular in all the original colonies; It never would have occurred to me that someone might consider them Southern.

I scored 19. I don’t consider myself Southern; I’ve lived in Maryland and Virginia my entire adulthood. But I’m an adventurous eater and cook. One of my best friends for a decade was a Cajun, so I cook a LOT of Cajun food.

I have no interest in squirrel, chitlins, or any kind of liver.

Reaction Score
No collard greens in the list? That’s a minus 5 for the organizers.

And no, turnip greens ain’t the same thing.
I thought collerd greens where arrested environmental activists.
I only got 14, but then I also ate some things that should have been on the list.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
21. There is no doubt I'm a city boy through and through, but when your grandmothers and both your parents are from the Carolina's this type of stuff is going to happen.

...and where's the black eyed peas, collard greens, turnips, hamhocks, and hambones?

KnightBridgeAZ

Grand Canyon Knight
Reaction Score
I track the Texas Hill Country peach crop assiduously, dreading the late freezes and the Spring hail storms.
We drive back and forth to the Austin area from Tucson to visit my wife's sister and family. Typically, January and July, which are not peach season, although the HEB still has some tasty peaches even in July.

BUT - a few years ago (well, more than a few, now) - we went for my SIL's mid-May 60th birthday. OMG. Took the route through the Fredericksburg area. Stopped at a peach place, I don't know if it was "real" a "rip off" or what but I have NEVER had such delicious peaches in my life. Even Jersey peaches, justly praised, don't compare.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom