How I see it | The Boneyard

How I see it

Reaction Score
Let me begin, I support the decision to forego the football season. It wasn't a choice that was made by UConn higher ups, it was a decision made by their independent status to do so. Let me explain. That new status left them in a deeper hole than any conference affiliated team, as games were being taken off the schedule by those affiliated teams. The narrative is easier to make after a decision was made. I don't disagree with any of the narrative at all. It all makes sense, especially the part about the kids. However, put UConn back in the AAC, and let's suppose this pandemic was 2 years ago. Do you think this same decision would have been made at this same moment in time? I honestly believe the answer would be no. So the narrative is part circumstantial, and part deemed needed. I'm not saying things wouldn't happen for the same reasons as they do now at a later date, I'm saying the independent status forced their hand, in much the same way a conference affiliation would have pressured them into not making this decision in the same moment in time. (We may see the same results occur for all schools at a date later than today, we may not). The fact is they had no other options due to independent status. I also support this with the fact that the Big East has not cancelled any other fall sports. My point is independent v conference, and the narrative is quite different. If it wasn't UConn would already have cancelled all fall sports. It is the same risks in different ways for sports in general, mostly due to travel, but other factors. Let's give them credit for doing the right thing, but let's also understand, there was no conference cover like other sports, that we are still officially attempting to play. (that could change at some point). Why are these kids not as important, to announce it all as one? Hopefully, I have answered that. Remember, just one opinion, I'm sure others agree, and others disagree. It is all good.

Fairfield_1st

Sitting on this Barstool talking like a damn fool
Reaction Score
As a football independent they answer to nobody. For the other sports, as part of the Big East, it would not be appropriate to go rogue and say we're not playing. I would hope they are working behind the scenes to get the Big East to make that call. If the Big East doesn't, then we'll see if UConn makes the solo call to step away.

Reaction Score
As a football independent they answer to nobody. For the other sports, as part of the Big East, it would not be appropriate to go rogue and say we're not playing. I would hope they are working behind the scenes to get the Big East to make that call. If the Big East doesn't, then we'll see if UConn makes the solo call to step away.

Benedict yesterday:

>>He said UConn, which has rejoined the Big East for most other sports, has not made a final decision about any other program and is working with the conference, which is planning for league-only schedules for the fall.

“We have the same concerns for all of our student-athletes,” he said. “We will continue to monitor the situation. It is a big difference because, typically, as a conference you are trying to make that decision together. But, ultimately, at some point in time, we will absolutely make the decision that is in the best interest of our student-athletes.”<<

Reaction Score
But, ultimately, at some point in time, we will absolutely make the decision that is in the best interest of our student-athletes.”

That statement contradicts "taking care of the health of football players." It makes my point. UConn didn't make this huge announcement to protect kids, if that was the case, all sports would be cancelled. He refers to ultimately making the decision that is in the best interests of the student athlete. They are beholden to the conference, not the health of the student athlete.

Reaction Score
But, ultimately, at some point in time, we will absolutely make the decision that is in the best interest of our student-athletes.”

That statement contradicts "taking care of the health of football players." It makes my point. UConn didn't make this huge announcement to protect kids, if that was the case, all sports would be cancelled. He refers to ultimately making the decision that is in the best interests of the student athlete. They are beholden to the conference, not the health of the student athlete.
Another opinion of the subject regarding timing...

Alternate access link here<<

>>Football’s first official practice was supposed to be Wednesday, necessitating the timing of the decision. Big East presidents and athletic directors were set to meet Wednesday evening, discussing the immediate future for student-athletes in fall sports that haven’t begun to train for a potential season like football had.

“There’s an opportunity to make a decision or continue to wait,” Benedict said. “We have the same concerns for all of our student-athletes and we will continue to monitor the situation. It is a big difference, because typically as part of a conference, you’re trying to make that decision together. But ultimately, at some point in time, we will absolutely make the decision that is in the best interest of our student-athletes.”

UConn can’t announce what it did Wednesday without applying the same message and care to the rest of its fall athletes. While there’s no rush to get ahead of whatever the Big East will say, Benedict and others might have to eventually use their own voices in a way they did Wednesday, in a way so many other institutions should have by now.<<

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Benedict yesterday:

>>He said UConn, which has rejoined the Big East for most other sports, has not made a final decision about any other program and is working with the conference, which is planning for league-only schedules for the fall.

“We have the same concerns for all of our student-athletes,” he said. “We will continue to monitor the situation. It is a big difference because, typically, as a conference you are trying to make that decision together. But, ultimately, at some point in time, we will absolutely make the decision that is in the best interest of our student-athletes.”<<

"Monitor the situation". Triggering deep, buried memories and it doesn't feel good.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Let me begin, I support the decision to forego the football season...
Tl:dr
Bottom line, if CFB turns south UConn will be smelling like roses.

Reaction Score
All opinions count, thanks for the contributions. What I said, or tried to say, was if making the decision to shut down football when they did was right - and I 100% agree it was (no argument there). I also agree that shutting down the rest of the fall sports for the same reason, at the same time, should be equally applied. If it is a health concern, which is the pinpoint reason, does that not apply equally to the rest of the fall sports? The answer is simple - the conference comes before health, period. Independent status dictates otherwise. My question is why is the conference placed above the health that shutdown football? I do understand the pressure of a conference, and the beat to the company line as one, but at the same time when your patting yourself on the back for making one decision, isn't it hypocritical to take another stance on behalf of the conference? This tells me if UConn was still in the AAC, this decision would not have been made, at the time it was here, as an independent. my feeling is they use health as the reason - and rightfully so, but if that was the real reason we would be completely shutdown in the fall for sports - and we are not.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
I'm bummed we wont have UConn football this fall; however for the linty of reasons outlined (safety, cost, independence, great potential for a complete wasted effort, etc), I understand why. I was ready to support either decision, to play or not to play.

So really now my attention is on the fellow independents and the MAC. Who else will join us? And yes, I will watch which ever programs are foolish enough to give it a go. Maybe it will even work out, but I have my doubts.

And AD David Benedict, don't be shy with scheduling news for 2021 and beyond, lets roll that out ASAP.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Yes, it sucks no football. I don't think there will be a healthy outcome for those daring to take it on. I'm hoping that this doesn't leak into basketball as well.

Reaction Score

I think you’re probably right for the most part, but there’s also an argument to be made that social distancing and other precautions can be taken more easily in other sports that have smaller rosters. Soccer players don’t have to line up nose to nose like linemen do in football as an example.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
Yes, it sucks no football. I don't think there will be a healthy outcome for those daring to take it on. I'm hoping that this doesn't leak into basketball as well.
And I don't care if there is some legitimacy to the hypocrisy argument, I want things to work out so the BB season is saved. Basketball is not my passion, but I enjoy a good season and we have great potential for a good season ahead.

Reaction Score
Thanks blue, a good point. I've seen enough soccer games to realize most of the game is played with players breathing hard, and within 6 feet of each other. Ever see how close they are for a penalty kick? It isn't just the sport itself, it is playing on the road. There are a lot of hazards in travel. The fact that the governor said 14 day quarantine after a road game, or for a team coming to CT from certain areas ends the discussion in my opinion for any sports.

Reaction Score
The fact that the governor said 14 day quarantine after a road game, or for a team coming to CT from certain areas ends the discussion in my opinion.
It also puts to rest your comment about UConn acting differently if they were still in the AAC conference. There’s no team in that conference other than Temple that could have been played without a 14 day quarantine.

Reaction Score
All opinions count, thanks for the contributions. What I said, or tried to say, was if making the decision to shut down football when they did was right - and I 100% agree it was (no argument there). I also agree that shutting down the rest of the fall sports for the same reason, at the same time, should be equally applied. If it is a health concern, which is the pinpoint reason, does that not apply equally to the rest of the fall sports? The answer is simple - the conference comes before health, period. Independent status dictates otherwise. My question is why is the conference placed above the health that shutdown football? I do understand the pressure of a conference, and the beat to the company line as one, but at the same time when your patting yourself on the back for making one decision, isn't it hypocritical to take another stance on behalf of the conference? This tells me if UConn was still in the AAC, this decision would not have been made, at the time it was here, as an independent. my feeling is they use health as the reason - and rightfully so, but if that was the real reason we would be completely shutdown in the fall for sports - and we are not.
I agree with your analysis and I think the University made the correct decision for the players and program. Devil's advocate- ND is an 'independent' and has decided to hitch their wagon to ACC this year. ND has a lot more at stake financially than UConn. Both UConn and ND are independents but ND has decided that it may play in 2020. Maybe the Gold Dome is a divine Covid protection

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom