How a change in mindset allowed Caroline Ducharme to flip the switch and emerge for the UConn women’s basketball team | The Boneyard

How a change in mindset allowed Caroline Ducharme to flip the switch and emerge for the UConn women’s basketball team

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
UConn women’s basketball freshman Caroline Ducharme can be an over-thinker, maybe a little bit of a perfectionist. At least she was early on this season. After a strong summer in which she impressed coach Geno Auriemma and teammates alike, the No. 5 recruit from the class of 2021 started the season “overthinking everything and not wanting to make mistakes instead of just playing and doing what I do best,” she said Sunday. Auriemma even joked that the 6-foot-2 guard “made me look stupid when I kept saying [in the preseason] how well she was practicing and how excited I was for her.”

Reaction Score
Thanks for the welcome distraction at halftime of the football game, Carnac.

I'll throw a bone to my brother's alma mater, Williams College, located in the wilds of the northwest corner of Massachusetts. As some of you might know, it's annually ranked as one of the top colleges in the country (and also home to the wonderful Taconic Golf Club, where I've been blessed to play golf for 56 seasons since my brother's freshman year). By the way, Art played basketball at Williams 'til a bad back did him in.

I bring that up because the Courant's story on Caroline noted her tendency to overthink. Well, anyone can overthink, but it's likely Caroline has a pretty smart head on her shoulders; both of her parents are Williams grads. I'm sure the Ephs' women's team would love to have had Caroline in their lineup!

As for the story about Christyn, fingers crossed she can bring some of that leadership she again promised after the Creighton game.

Back to football (for a while)...

Blakeon18

Dormie
Reaction Score
Deacon: very envious of your frequent play at Taconic. Played there just once and loved it. Suggestion....drive down to South Hadley...home of Mt. Holyoke College and play at The Orchards...call ahead to make sure you can play.
Home of the 2004 U.S. Women's Open...resembles Taconic in its 'New England-ness' and moderate length. Grudgingly I give the edge to Taconic but worth the drive.

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
You guys ever need a 4th please let me know

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
I don't play golf, but I do appreciate Caroline's finding her natural game.
She so reminds me of former NBA stars...not so much woman...
Players who were not particularly fleet of foot or great leapers but with a combination of super intelligence, unusual competitive motor and fine hand eye skills became indispensable teammates, stars...even superstars.

The names have been noted before: DeBusschere, Bird.
Strange that that type of player hasn't been a dominant force in the W

Interested in Bone Yard opinions
Is Emma Meessemen that type?
Is Stewie (with far greater foot speed and leaping ability)?

Reaction Score
Deacon: very envious of your frequent play at Taconic. Played there just once and loved it. Suggestion....drive down to South Hadley...home of Mt. Holyoke College and play at The Orchards...call ahead to make sure you can play.
Home of the 2004 U.S. Women's Open...resembles Taconic in its 'New England-ness' and moderate length. Grudgingly I give the edge to Taconic but worth the drive.
Yes, Blakeon18, I've been forever thankful Art chose Williams over his perhaps glossier options, a couples of Ivies and the Air Force Academy, chiefly 'cause Taconic's been our go-to course around here (I live two hours south in CT) for so many years. Art at 75 and I at 72 still make the trip 20 times or so a season, sometimes combining it with visits to the Clark Art Institute (art lovers will know of it) and/or, during the summer, the Williamstown Theatre Fest (theater-goers might well know of it).

I have played the Orchards twice, back in the early '00s and again maybe 10 years ago, and thoroughly enjoyed it. is every bit as good as you say. The 18th there is one of the toughest holes around. We also attended that women's U.S. Open in '04 for the Thursday, Friday rounds... it's a great walk!

Taconic is the more difficult track (especially since Gil Hanse got his hands on it in 2009) and is always on the MGA's and USGA's watch list for hosting big tournaments. We've recently gravitated to playing a hybrid course playing some middle tees and some senior tees... a painful decision but realistic.

Tony, if you're still reading, I don't know how people on the Boneyard communicate other than by meeting at games (we met at the Arkansas game and briefly talked golf), but I'd certainly welcome you as a guest at Taconic... Blake, too, depending on your level of interest. We have the Huskies as a common bond in case golf doesn't go well. Taconic goes something like $240 for a transient player, and considerably less for a member's guest.

Reaction Score
I don't play golf, but I do appreciate Caroline's finding her natural game.
She so reminds me of former NBA stars...not so much woman...
Players who were not particularly fleet of foot or great leapers but with a combination of super intelligence, unusual competitive motor and fine hand eye skills became indispensable teammates, stars...even superstars.

The names have been noted before: DeBusschere, Bird.
Strange that that type of player hasn't been a dominant force in the W

Interested in Bone Yard opinions
Is Emma Meessemen that type?
Is Stewie (with far greater foot speed and leaping ability)?
I'm with you about Caroline, msf22b... is the 22 from DeBusschere, or just a coincidence?

I think he might be a better comparison than Bird, unless Caroline develops the passing elan characteriizing Paige's game and formerly those of Maravich, Magic, Bird et al.

Meesseman would be a really good role model for Caroline, if indeed Caroline is into role models. She's a bit shorter, but does have potential to develop along Emma's lines.

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
Yes, Blakeon18, I've been forever thankful Art chose Williams over his perhaps glossier options, a couples of Ivies and the Air Force Academy, chiefly 'cause Taconic's been our go-to course around here (I live two hours south in CT) for so many years. Art at 75 and I at 72 still make the trip 20 times or so a season, sometimes combining it with visits to the Clark Art Institute (art lovers will know of it) and/or, during the summer, the Williamstown Theatre Fest (theater-goers might well know of it).

I have played the Orchards twice, back in the early '00s and again maybe 10 years ago, and thoroughly enjoyed it. is every bit as good as you say. The 18th there is one of the toughest holes around. We also attended that women's U.S. Open in '04 for the Thursday, Friday rounds... it's a great walk!

Taconic is the more difficult track (especially since Gil Hanse got his hands on it in 2009) and is always on the MGA's and USGA's watch list for hosting big tournaments. We've recently gravitated to playing a hybrid course playing some middle tees and some senior tees... a painful decision but realistic.

Tony, if you're still reading, I don't know how people on the Boneyard communicate other than by meeting at games (we met at the Arkansas game and briefly talked golf), but I'd certainly welcome you as a guest at Taconic... Blake, too, depending on your level of interest. We have the Huskies as a common bond in case golf doesn't go well. Taconic goes something like $240 for a transient player, and considerably less for a member's guest.
I would be honored to play with you and Blake. I read the stories about Taconic and Jack Nicklaus. WOW. I remember playing a course when I was in college I think it was Roger Williams College course. Another gem. Also Longmeadow Golf Club is one of my favorites. When the weather gets nice again, lets do it. Thanks

Blakeon18

Dormie
Reaction Score
Deacon: I would like to send you my email address and perhaps if you feel appropriate to get yours.
I am not able to access you privately but if you would contact TonyC off-board [his account is open to that info] he can give you my contact info.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Love everything I read about Caroline. If you read both articles, the things Geno and the team echo is the same thing we have seen - lack of leadership.

Who are the candidates to be the glue until Paige Bueckers’ return, hoped to be in mid-February? The coach paused — maybe for effect.

“Unfortunately, there isn’t a single individual who you can say, ‘This is who is running it,’” he said. “We generally spread the ball around so that burden doesn’t fall on just one person, but, yeah, you’d like to have someone step up and be that person, but we haven’t found that person yet
.”

Christyn KNOWS she needs to be one of those leaders as does Evina. Unfortunately what the team needs seems to be nowhere in sight. I do think that in the long run, losing Paige and Azzi will be "good" for the rest of the team, but if they can't find a way to "be more" before Paige and Azzi get back (especially Paige), I suspect they will just revert to a "Paige will bail us out no matter what" mentality - which is no good.

It's really on the 3 seniors. Once they are gone, I have a feeling the others will continue to step up. Unfortunately we may need to wait till next season where "addition by subtraction" might make us better. I hate to think that the seniors are having that kind of inverse impact on the team, but it's up to them to fix it, if they can.

Reaction Score
I just hope there is no freshman wall in Caroline's future.

sun

Reaction Score
Caroline said that she was thinking too much.
She cured it by staring at a Nike ad for hours a day.

JUST_DO_IT._%28NIKE%29.gif

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HassanDawg

Top Bottom