Houston Chronicle exclusive: Texas, Oklahoma reach out to SEC about joining conference. | Page 19 | The Boneyard

Houston Chronicle exclusive: Texas, Oklahoma reach out to SEC about joining conference.

Reaction Score
I’m confused why people don’t think ISU has a shot at B10.
What does ISU offer the Big Ten that it already doesn't have?

They have a school in Iowa with a better basketball and football track record. Iowa has fewer people than Connecticut...and you want two schools there? Also, with a 100 year head start on UConn, Iowa State has finished ranked in the Top 25 exactly two more time than UConn has. By contrast, Iowa Hawkeyes have finished ranked 23 more times. So...why? Because they're in the AAU?

Further, if Florida and South Carolina have banded together to blackball FSU and Clemson...and it worked in the SEC, why the hell would Iowa be cool with Iowa State? A&M got overriden...because Texas is Texas and coming with OU.

Reaction Score
I disagree. I think if the conference gets KU and Iowa petitions for it they might get it. It’s the only logical AAU school in the region.

Reaction Score
Could this potentially end up being two super conferences a north/west coast with big 10 and pac and a southern conference with acc/sec with various divisions like NFL playing into a playoff with division champs and ending with a college Superbowl?

Reaction Score
If the B12 is going to survive this I think they need to bring four teams rather than two.

The four: Cincy, Houston or SMU, UCF and either Memphis or USF.

I wouldnt go west to Boise State unless my media partners said it was the only way to get to a good tv contract number.

The remaining AAC schools slide to CUSA or independent status. I think Temple follows us with an independent football/A10 combo.

That’s possible. I really don’t see the Big 12 remnants taking the directional Florida’s. Better chance they take Memphis (though that’s still slim). I don’t understand the need to take 4. Take 2. Cut down on the number of mouths

Reaction Score
So I guess the University of Chicago is next on the list too then? (AAU member, rivalry with Northwestern) ;)
Sounds about right according to some of these peeps ;)

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I disagree. I think if the conference gets KU and Iowa petitions for it they might get it. It’s the only logical AAU school in the region.

So, other than having AAU designation (which not all Big Ten members have), what does Iowa State offer?

They have a weak history in football and basketball, they're in a smallish state already covered by the conference with a team better than them in terms of football and basketball history, they don't have a national brand attached to them in any major sport...

What are they offering? I've yet to see a positive pitch for them other than "well, they have AAU, are in the general region, and will be available..."

Reaction Score
So, other than having AAU designation (which not all Big Ten members have), what does Iowa State offer?

They have a weak history in football and basketball, they're in a smallish state already covered by the conference with a team better than them in terms of football and basketball history, they don't have a national brand attached to them in any major sport...

What are they offering? I've yet to see a positive pitch for them other than "well, they have AAU, are in the general region, and will be available..."
I’ve got nothing else. BUT I just think it’s dumb to assume if KU joins, there is still no chance they have a shot to get it. It seems logical. They have a good head coach (3x B12 coach of the year), it’s regional, AAU, and a natural rivalry with Iowa. Simply saying “no” doesn’t really influence me enough to agree with you.

Time will tell.

Reaction Score
I’ve got nothing else. BUT I just think it’s dumb to assume if KU joins, there is still no chance they have a shot to get it. It seems logical. They have a good head coach (3x B12 coach of the year), it’s regional, AAU, and a natural rivalry with Iowa. Simply saying “no” doesn’t really influence me enough to agree with you.

Time will tell.
I've given you reasons, not simply said no.

I'll add that they have two more bowl wins in their whole history than UConn... They have a .437 winning percentage in football. That's barely above UConn's .413...and if you just take away UConn's disastrous last two seasons, we have a better winning percentage than they do.

Reasons to take them:
  • AAU
  • Regional
  • There is a rival in conference
  • they are available

Reasons not to take them:
  • historically not good at football
  • small state
  • small fan base
  • already have a better school in the same state (so no new market)
  • not a national brand
  • no other major sports they are that good at

I'm not seeing the benefit here. It would be reactionary and short sighted on the Big Ten's part to take them.

ShakyTheMohel

Is it 11:11 yet?
Reaction Score
So....there is no conference realignment activity without UConn somehow getting the shaft. I was just thinking about future schedules....I wonder how much these realignments will force teams to cancel games with UConn? Especially if these larger leagues results in less out of conference games?

I just figured there had to be some way UConn continued the pattern of being damaged by every conference realignment decision....lol.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Could this potentially end up being two super conferences a north/west coast with big 10 and pac and a southern conference with acc/sec with various divisions like NFL playing into a playoff with division champs and ending with a college Superbowl?

Yes. That is the goal.

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
That’s possible. I really don’t see the Big 12 remnants taking the directional Florida’s. Better chance they take Memphis (though that’s still slim). I don’t understand the need to take 4. Take 2. Cut down on the number of mouths
Yep, unless someone is willing to pay for the added teams and if so who do you think that would be.

It amuses me how often people for that additions to a conference need to accretive financially. Otherwise why bother.

Reaction Score
I've given you reasons, not simply said no.

I'll add that they have two more bowl wins in their whole history than UConn... They have a .437 winning percentage in football. That's barely above UConn's .413...and if you just take away UConn's disastrous last two seasons, we have a better winning percentage than they do.

Reasons to take them:
  • AAU
  • Regional
  • There is a rival in conference
  • they are available

Reasons not to take them:
  • historically not good at football
  • small state
  • small fan base
  • already have a better school in the same state (so no new market)
  • not a national brand
  • no other major sports they are that good at

I'm not seeing the benefit here. It would be reactionary and short sighted on the Big Ten's part to take them.
Historically you’re right. I have no clue why you’re comparing them to UConn. Are we being considered?

But they’ve been to 4 straight bowl games. Their head coach has been to 8 bowl games in his last 10 years. It’s worth factoring. You are right from a dollar perspective, I’m not going argue that. KU goes, they add another, I think it’s ISU. This is all I’m saying.

If you’re wrong you can think about the rattlesnake, Stone Cold Steve Austin.

Reaction Score
Historically you’re right. I have no clue why you’re comparing them to UConn. Are we being considered?

But they’ve been to 4 straight bowl games. Their head coach has been to 8 bowl games in his last 10 years. It’s worth factoring. You are right from a dollar perspective, I’m not going argue that. KU goes, they add another, I think it’s ISU. This is all I’m saying.

If you’re wrong you can think about the rattlesnake, Stone Cold Steve Austin.
Why am I comparing them to UConn? Because everyone talks about how bad UConn is and when you go beyond the last four years—and to the prior coach—Iowa State is essentially a worse version of UConn. UConn the experimental control for a "bad football program." But we have national appeal outside of that that ISU doesn't!

Why would the Big Ten be so short-sighted? They've been to four straight bowl games...okay? What happens when their coach leaves? The last time the Cyclones had four straight winning seasons was in the 1920s when they only played 7 games...and they were 4-3 each of those seasons! What kind of rivalry is Iowa-Iowa State when they went 4 decades without playing and the Hawkeyes lead it 45–22?

If the Big Ten adds Iowa State they deserve to absolutely collapse. It would be one of the most short-sighted and useless adds, far worse than Rutgers, who at least added new markets, who has historically won more bowl games than ISU, and has a better historic winning percentage.

On one level, I hope you're right. It means that the Big Ten is so stupid UConn has a chance.

Reaction Score
in conference realignment ... we have seen legislators/politicos nudge one University into a conference - Virginia for Virginia Tech. And Texas getting _____ envy because A&M got on the SEC gravy train. We saw Maryland leap away from a base of rivalries that went back 50 - 65 years. Iowa lift Iowa State? Methinks they can play the game whereby they APPEAR TO BE A FRIEND. But it doesn't make economics sense; it ain't happening.

Remember. This is about the Super Elite this time. WHY be comfortable if you are Mississippi State? or Oregon State? Methinks the roulette wheel keeps spinning ... the musical chairs keep getting pulled. And you are in one week ...

WestHartHusk

$3M a Year With March Off
Reaction Score
Some interesting numbers from Iowa State Athletic Dept:

Since 2008:
  • College Football (FBS level) Attendance is down 11% (47k average in 2008, 42k 2018)
  • ISU has added 12% capacity to our stadium (55k to 61.5k)
  • ISU has seen average attendance increase 18% (47k to 56k)
Edited to delete dumb post. See @BigTenFan's post to confirm.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
New Oklahoma State president, who took over on July 1, addresses the Texas/OU news and the Big 12. (#notmad)

Dr. Kayse Shrum @drshru 1h
We are disappointed by the lack of engagement and transparency from our colleagues at OU over the past months on a matter with serious ramifications for our state. We have historically worked together to advance our state and address issues based on a partnership built on trust.

Dr. Kayse Shrum @drshrum 1h
To that end, we will continue to work with purpose to the advancement of our state and the betterment of our fellow Oklahomans. In the ever-changing college athletic landscape, we will honor our values and ethics as we consider the next steps.

Our commitment to our student-athletes is top of mind, and their best interests will be represented prominently. We enjoy a proud athletic heritage with more National Championships than any other Big 12 university, and we will aggressively pursue the opportunities ahead.

Additionally, our university enjoys a great brand known for education, research, and service, and we will move forward with strength. #okstate

Reaction Score
New Oklahoma State president, who took over on July 1, addresses the Texas/OU news and the Big 12. (#notmad)

Dr. Kayse Shrum @drshru 1h
We are disappointed by the lack of engagement and transparency from our colleagues at OU over the past months on a matter with serious ramifications for our state. We have historically worked together to advance our state and address issues based on a partnership built on trust.

To that end, we will continue to work with purpose to the advancement of our state and the betterment of our fellow Oklahomans. In the ever-changing college athletic landscape, we will honor our values and ethics as we consider the next steps.

Our commitment to our student-athletes is top of mind, and their best interests will be represented prominently. We enjoy a proud athletic heritage with more National Championships than any other Big 12 university, and we will aggressively pursue the opportunities ahead.

Additionally, our university enjoys a great brand known for education, research, and service, and we will move forward with strength. #okstate
Read that…….. and if OKst has the opportunity to bolt to the PAC will be out of this conference and won’t think twice about the schools we leave behind.

Reaction Score
So I guess the University of Chicago is next on the list too then? (AAU member, rivalry with Northwestern) ;)
UChicago: Big 10 charter member, and still active Big Ten Alliance member (formerly the Committee on Institutional Cooperation). Go Maroons, or the Phoenix (select your preferred UofC mascot).

Reaction Score
3 days of posts, and you previously denied it, but you just outed yourself as an ISU fan: "Our stadium..."

Are you all so scared of your fate you are littering forums with this nonsense? You are toast, time to accept it.
As I stated that quote came from Iowa State Athletic Dept- I just grabbed the data from their release I have no allegiance to Iowa -State- but adding another land grant school to Big 10 fits their educational and athletic mission

Reaction Score
Read that…….. and if OKst has the opportunity to bolt to the PAC will be out of this conference and won’t think twice about the schools we leave behind.

and ... we wish we had a governor with balls that would presss hard on getting OUR Cowboys into this flight pattern and away from the unwashed left behind.

WestHartHusk

$3M a Year With March Off
Reaction Score
As I stated that quote came from Iowa State Athletic Dept- I just grabbed the data from their release I have no allegiance to Iowa -State- but adding another land grant school to Big 10 fits their educational and athletic mission
Ahh, missed that.

The alternative to you being an ISU fan is that you just have terrible business judgment. I would just go with ISU fan.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom