Houston Chronicle exclusive: Texas, Oklahoma reach out to SEC about joining conference. | Page 18 | The Boneyard

Houston Chronicle exclusive: Texas, Oklahoma reach out to SEC about joining conference.

Reaction Score
If 6 teams are left I think you have to go Cinci, Houston, UCF, USF. If you're adding more than 2 teams you have to go in the same geographical direction unless you want to deal with all the other issues
If they're down to six, you probably do have to add UCF and USF. But that's a disaster for them.

Reaction Score
If they're down to six, you probably do have to add UCF and USF. But that's a disaster for them.
It's also the absolute worst case scenario for the AAC. They really need all 8 schools to stick together or hope there are 2-3 left that they can add.

Reaction Score
LOL. Big Ten isn't adding another school from Iowa.
The Big Ten should just fold as a conference if having AAU (at the time of invitation, since Nebraska isn't in the AAU and everyone knew it wouldn't be when they were invited) is so important to them that they'd take the second best school in a small market they already have a foothold over rather than think more innovatively. ISU adds nothing, and Kansas already has a both Iowa and Nebraska there if, for some reason, that mattered so much to them.

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score
I'm not sure how many different ways it needs to be posted: Iowa State is not going to the Big10.
You Must Star Wars GIF by Regal

Iowa State, going to the Big 10, it is not.

Reaction Score
Academics, markets, geographic footprint...

These may all mean much less in the upcoming age than marquee match ups that draw viewers....

And the SEC will have cornered beaucoup big time match ups....

And, with ESPN's ownership, will dominate prime time slots.

I think Texas and Oklahoma saw this coming when ESPN and Fox refused to renegotiate the Big 12 media contract....their fans had been complaining about their schedule and TV slots...

Reaction Score
LOL. Big Ten isn't adding another school from Iowa.

Some interesting numbers from Iowa State Athletic Dept:

Since 2008:
  • College Football (FBS level) Attendance is down 11% (47k average in 2008, 42k 2018)
  • ISU has added 12% capacity to our stadium (55k to 61.5k)
  • ISU has seen average attendance increase 18% (47k to 56k)

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
Some interesting numbers from Iowa State Athletic Dept:

Since 2008:
  • College Football (FBS level) Attendance is down 11% (47k average in 2008, 42k 2018)
  • ISU has added 12% capacity to our stadium (55k to 61.5k)
  • ISU has seen average attendance increase 18% (47k to 56k)
Yeah, SEC adds TX and OK and B1G counters with the second school in a state they already have in a team.

You can't feed the B1G $$$ machine with an add like ISU. At the very least if the B1G adds it has to be new markets with the exception being ND.

Reaction Score
Recruiting market paranoia is about to set in.... a second reason for possible very bold moves from either the PAC or B1G.
Who does the PAC take? Tech and OSU?

Reaction Score
Some interesting numbers from Iowa State Athletic Dept: Since 2008 ...
Iowa: B1G has the Hawkeyes; ISU at best splits 3m people (setting aside UNI supporters); blah state net income/wallets; massive 70-somethingth media market (Des Moines); ISU is limited add for other markets (Chicago, St Louis, KC, Omaha), etc. Good luck Cy!

Last edited:

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
Who does the PAC take? Tech and OSU?
I would think it’s four teams or none. Two would just not move the media needle.

Even though CA is talent rich, I would want access to TX and it’s burgeoning football factory (and economy- think long term).

A major obstacle would be the religious affiliations - seems like a non starter. So it’s TT, KS, OSU and ISU. The 16 team conf could switch to four team pods. Could Houston pull a Louisville to bump ISU or OSU yeah?- maybe.

But I think Fox and the B1G need to go first and do their thing evaluating some sort of big move and then it’s the PAC’s turn if the B1G spits the bit on some western power play.

Drew

Its a post, about nothing!
Reaction Score
You can make an argument for UCF, though I don't think they bring much.

BYU would bring a lot if you can cooperate with them, but I doubt they will.

Boise? Meh. Don't really think they bring all that much.
Sure but the original comment was about only Cinci and Houston having National chache in football among the “options”. I definitely disagree with that notion.

Reaction Score
Sure but the original comment was about only Cinci and Houston having National chache in football among the “options”. I definitely disagree with that notion.
Fair. I just think that those are probably the only two teams that make a lot of sense. Cincy gives good football and bball as well as a traveling partner to WVU.

Houston has historic rivalries with some other conference members along with a football history. It also kills the AAC in a way that losing UCF, say, doesn't really.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
If the B12 is going to survive this I think they need to bring four teams rather than two.

The four: Cincy, Houston or SMU, UCF and either Memphis or USF.

I wouldnt go west to Boise State unless my media partners said it was the only way to get to a good tv contract number.

The remaining AAC schools slide to CUSA or independent status. I think Temple follows us with an independent football/A10 combo.

Reaction Score
I’m confused why people don’t think ISU has a shot at B10.
Honestly out of all the available teams it’s probably the most solid. But I don’t think Big 10 when I think Iowa State. Same can be said for Texas with SEC. nothing is making sense.

Reaction Score
I'm confused why anyone would think ISU has a shot at B1G. No chance.
Honestly out of all the available teams it’s probably the most solid. But I don’t think Big 10 when I think Iowa State. Same can be said for Texas with SEC. nothing is making sense.

got it… y’all have no clue. I thought there would be legitimate reason but guess not.

It’s an eligible AAU school with rivalry to Iowa. I just wanted to clarify none of your opinions matter and it’s still a possibility.

Just Yardin’ (no hate). :rolleyes:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom