Houston Chronicle exclusive: Texas, Oklahoma reach out to SEC about joining conference. | Page 17 | The Boneyard

Houston Chronicle exclusive: Texas, Oklahoma reach out to SEC about joining conference.

Reaction Score
This is probably a better question for the basketball board, but this seem to be where the more active discussion is happening; If WVU reached out to the Big East about doing the Indy/BE thing, would you take them?
Yes

Reaction Score
This is the most entertaining speculation thread I've read in some time! What an exciting summer this is shaping up to be!

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
Because if you're the big east you can't turn down Kansas but you'll be just fine without WVU.

WVU would be arguably the 3rd best program in the big east. That plus their fan base, history in the league, geographic footprint are my reason to take them.

Reaction Score
WVU would be arguably the 3rd best program in the big east. That plus their fan base, history in the league, geographic footprint are my reason to take them.
If we were to take them I'd only do it if they guaranteed a game against us every year. That's the only thing that would persuade me.

They'll be trying to leave as soon as they get in. I don't see that happening with Kansas

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
If we were to take them I'd only do it if they guaranteed a game against us every year. That's the only thing that would persuade me.

They'll be trying to leave as soon as they get in. I don't see that happening with Kansas

That's fair. Probably what every other non football big east school thinks of us too I imagine.

Little do they know we have no options!

Reaction Score
That's fair. Probably what every other non football big east school thinks of us too I imagine.

Little do they know we have no options!
It will be interesting to see which schools also don't have options. Baylor, TCU and Kansas State are the most obvious. But I wouldn't be surprised if it's all 8 of them

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
It will be interesting to see which schools also don't have options. Baylor, TCU and Kansas State are the most obvious. But I wouldn't be surprised if it's all 8 of them

I'd be surprised if there remnants did anything besides add Cincinnati and Houston.

None of the schools remaining have enough national cache in football to move the needle for a P5.

Drew

Its a post, about nothing!
Reaction Score
I'd be surprised if there remnants did anything besides add Cincinnati and Houston.

None of the schools remaining have enough national cache in football to move the needle for a P5.
….UCF? BYU? Boise?

Reaction Score

The combinations are endless because at the end of the day none of the options are that great. It'll all depend on who, if anyone else, gets a lottery ticket. If all 8 get stuck then I think you try for Cinci and BYU. If it's 4-6 leftovers then everything gets a lot more interesting.

Reaction Score
There will be more poaching and dominoes to fall... How I could see this played out is the following:

Kansas -> B1G (already being rumored, leaves B1G with 1 open spot)
Iowa St OR UVA OR UPitt (unlikely) OR UNC(also unlikely) -> Last spot in the B1G to get to 16. My guess is UVA or Iowa st (unless iowa blocks). All 4 are AAU memebrs
WVU -> ACC, makes sense geographically and good at football. With Louisville addition they clearly dont care about academics

I would think at this point ACC says enough is enough and gives ND the ultimatum on joining as full time member. Then if B1G takes UVA (who is best geographical and academics fit) there is one more spot open in the ACC... Who takes it? Don't see any of the remaining Big12 teams as a good fit. FSU would almost assuredly block a UCF from joining....

Reaction Score
There will be more poaching and dominoes to fall... How I could see this played out is the following:

Iowa St OR UVA OR UPitt (unlikely) OR UNC(also unlikely) -> Last spot in the B1G to get to 16. My guess is UVA or Iowa st (unless iowa blocks). All 4 are AAU memebrs
WVU -> ACC, makes sense geographically and good at football. With Louisville addition they clearly dont care about academics

I would think at this point ACC says enough is enough and gives ND the ultimatum on joining as full time member. Then if B1G takes UVA (who is best geographical and academics fit) there is one more spot open in the ACC... Who takes it? Don't see any of the remaining Big12 teams as a good fit. FSU would almost assuredly block a UCF from joining....
Schools can't leave the ACC for years. Not happening.

WestHartHusk

$3M a Year With March Off
Reaction Score

I'm not sure how many different ways it needs to be posted: Iowa State is not going to the Big10.

Reaction Score
Their geographic footprint would be the worst reason to take them.

They're obviously better than all but UConn and Nova, and arguably better than Georgetown. In a world where you're building from scratch, you take them. In this world, we're not building from scratch, so it's not necessarily worthwhile to compare them to the weakest members of the conference (cough cough DePaul), but to think about whether their basketball team would bring money and eyeballs even in a down year. Casual fans aren't going to turn on a West Virginia basketball at some large number. They will for Kansas though.

Neither of these things are likely to happen, though.

Reaction Score
….UCF? BYU? Boise?
You can make an argument for UCF, though I don't think they bring much.

BYU would bring a lot if you can cooperate with them, but I doubt they will.

Boise? Meh. Don't really think they bring all that much.

Reaction Score
You can make an argument for UCF, though I don't think they bring much.

BYU would bring a lot if you can cooperate with them, but I doubt they will.

Boise? Meh. Don't really think they bring all that much.
If 6 teams are left I think you have to go Cinci, Houston, UCF, USF. If you're adding more than 2 teams you have to go in the same geographical direction unless you want to deal with all the other issues

Reaction Score
I'm not sure how many different ways it needs to be posted: Iowa State is not going to the Big10.
BuT iSu hAs GrEat FoOtBaLL. This is literally what people are using as justification.

I laugh every time I see people say this and act like they're a lock for the B1G. They've had half a dozen decent seasons since the 80s.

People have the shortest memories it's truly unbelievable.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
Keeping the reconstituted B12 alive comes down to Fox, will they pay enough to make it worthwhile for any of the schools to move conferences? Dont see any other media company bidding on this property.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom