Houston Chronicle exclusive: Texas, Oklahoma reach out to SEC about joining conference. | Page 39 | The Boneyard

Houston Chronicle exclusive: Texas, Oklahoma reach out to SEC about joining conference.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
We recruited a top 5 class while in the AAC. But ok, we can only recruit well if we play Providence twice a year. I guess playing fresh off the Final Four Baylor wouldn't appeal as much.

When we win we can recruit well in any conference. When we lose, we can't. Just that simple.

Nobody on this entire message board cares about playing Baylor and I can all but guarantee any kid were recruiting from New England to DC feels the same.

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
I am still wondering why there is complete radio silence from FOX. The Big 12 is a large portion of their College FB product. They are losing their top 2 brands in that conference yet nothing has been said.....it's very bizarre yet I'm not sure what I expect to be said....I guess I'm surprised that none of the three billion articles that have been written over the past three weeks have even mentioned FOX and their contract and how this might impact them or the remaining Big 12 schools.

Reaction Score
I am still wondering why there is complete radio silence from FOX. The Big 12 is a large portion of their College FB product. They are losing their top 2 brands in that conference yet nothing has been said.....it's very bizarre yet I'm not sure what I expect to be said....I guess I'm surprised that none of the three billion articles that have been written over the past three weeks have even mentioned FOX and their contract and how this might impact them or the remaining Big 12 schools.
It's become like Coca Cola and Pepsi.

Reaction Score
If the B12's TV network wanted the UCONN football team to be part of that league we would get an invite. We wouldn't require a huge football only payout. Lobby FOX.

this is a sound approach. Ask for a break even+ number, but have a solid backup proposal. Maybe fox realizes this helps from a NBE pov.

Reaction Score
Nobody on this entire message board cares about playing Baylor and I can all but guarantee any kid were recruiting from New England to DC feels the same.

I would have liked to have played Baylor on April 5th. And the game on March 29th was pretty good. Also would have liked for the the baseball team to play Baylor. I also think we could be competitive and possibly beat them in football this year on ESPN. Otherwise I have no interest.

UC1995

Back to Basics!
Reaction Score
I have no desire to go back to a Frankenstein AAC/Big12 conference, but have you seen where we are pulling our recruiting comes from? Games against Texas teams are a must.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
I would have liked to have played Baylor on April 5th. And the game on March 29th was pretty good. Also would have liked for the the baseball team to play Baylor. I also think we could be competitive and possibly beat them in football this year on ESPN. Otherwise I have no interest.

I have no desire to go back to a Frankenstein AAC/Big12 conference, but have you seen where we are pulling our recruiting comes from? Games against Texas teams are a must.

My comment regarding Baylor was more about basketball. Playing Baylor in basketball feels no different than the games against Houston. Good program, good teams, but a general lack of interest.

Fooball I'll sign up for a home and home with just about any program, with Texas and Florida games being a premium.

Reaction Score
So this all based on assumption with no proof. Of course ESPN has a stake in the outcome. Proving some sort of tortious conduct is not easy, except on the internet.
Well, you asked how to calculate damages, and I told you. Tortious interference is not hard to prove. The elements are: (1) the existence of a valid and enforceable contract between plaintiff and another (yes); (2) defendant’s awareness of the contractual relationship )yes); (3) defendant’s intentional and unjustified inducement of a breach of the contract (alleged by Big12 ); (4) a breach by the other party caused by defendant’s wrongful conduct (not yet ripe), but ; and (5) damages ( seems eminently provable). ESPN would want to hang their hat on No. 4, which is why Texas and OU have publicly said they are sticking around through end of term. The OSU situation appears to another case, which in concert with the Texas and OU situation, raise the question whether there is a potential RICO case. Beyond tortuous interference, claims based upon unfair trade practices and fraud in the inducement (possibly going back to ESPN paying up to dissuade the Big12 from expanding ) might also be in play. Obviously, until more info is known, it is difficult to say ESPN did something wrongful, though the optics do not look great.

Reaction Score
So Texas and OU are staying til 2025? Or are they paying the buyout?
They have to pay the buyout (north of $70 million) whenever they leave. The variable is the money from the GoR which depends on what year they leave.

Reaction Score
Drama Popcorn GIF

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Well, you asked how to calculate damages, and I told you. Tortious interference is not hard to prove. The elements are: (1) the existence of a valid and enforceable contract between plaintiff and another (yes); (2) defendant’s awareness of the contractual relationship )yes); (3) defendant’s intentional and unjustified inducement of a breach of the contract (alleged by Big12 ); (4) a breach by the other party caused by defendant’s wrongful conduct (not yet ripe), but ; and (5) damages ( seems eminently provable). ESPN would want to hang their hat on No. 4, which is why Texas and OU have publicly said they are sticking around through end of term. The OSU situation appears to another case, which in concert with the Texas and OU situation, raise the question whether there is a potential RICO case. Beyond tortuous interference, claims based upon unfair trade practices and fraud in the inducement (possibly going back to ESPN paying up to dissuade the Big12 from expanding ) might also be in play. Obviously, until more info is known, it is difficult to say ESPN did something wrongful, though the optics do not look great.
What would damages be since none of the Little 12 have left the conference?

Reaction Score

They are a minority stake in the B12 vs. ESPN, who is driving the bus ( Big 12 Announces New Media Rights Deal With ESPN & FOX Sports Media Group ) . With that being said, I wonder if they are on the side of protecting the product and standing behind Bowlsby silently as he confronts ESPN on the legal side of things.

One other interesting piece to this puzzle which I have missed entirely, which has probably been mentioned in this thread is that both Fox & ESPN rejected early negotiations back in May on the upcoming contract lapse in a few years:

ESPN/Texas/OK absolutely had to know at that stage they were jettisoning themselves, so I wonder if they clued Fox in at that time or pulled the rug out from them as well.

Reaction Score
What would damages be since none of the Little 12 have left the conference?
CL82... see my prior post. I think it’s relatively clear how to calculate damages.

CL82

Reaction Score
CL82... see my prior post. I think it’s relatively clear how to calculate damages.
I didn’t. That’s why I asked.

Explain it to me like I’m a three year old? (Or just explain it to me.)

Reaction Score
I didn’t. That’s why I asked.

Explain it to me like I’m a three year old? (Or just explain it to me.)
As stated, the damages element doesn’t seem to be that complicated, assuming the other elements could be satisfied:

The measure of damages would the Big12 would likely generate if it were whole at the time of GOR renegotiation versus what it would command absent it’s 2 chief assets, and then apply a ten year discounted cash flow. The concept of damages in relation to future business losses are handled by courts all the time. The Big12 reported $439M with each team getting between $38-42M. The AAC commands $111M with teams getting between $5-7M. That’s a $300M a year differential. If you assume the little B12 can get $150M or $200M a year in a new GOR, thats a loss of over a $1B before considering special or punitive damages. I think it is quite reasonable to sue ESPN for $3-5 Billion in damages if they can actually prove material and knowing misconduct.

Any that’s my general opinion assuming what the Big12 alleges is proven to be true. My guess is all this gets financially engineered into a global settlement. The Little Big12 needs to sustain its revenue and will fight line he’ll fit that for some guaranteed period.

CL82

Reaction Score
As stated, the damages element doesn’t seem to be that complicated, assuming the other elements could be satisfied:

The measure of damages would the Big12 would likely generate if it were whole at the time of GOR renegotiation versus what it would command absent it’s 2 chief assets, and then apply a ten year discounted cash flow. The concept of damages in relation to future business losses are handled by courts all the time. The Big12 reported $439M with each team getting between $38-42M. The AAC commands $111M with teams getting between $5-7M. That’s a $300M a year differential. If you assume the little B12 can get $150M or $200M a year in a new GOR, thats a loss of over a $1B before considering special or punitive damages. I think it is quite reasonable to sue ESPN for $3-5 Billion in damages if they can actually prove material and knowing misconduct.

Any that’s my general opinion assuming what the Big12 alleges is proven to be true. My guess is all this gets financially engineered into a global settlement. The Little Big12 needs to sustain its revenue and will fight line he’ll fit that for some guaranteed period.
Keep in mind that Bowlsby has stated that he has no evidence of tampering regarding Oklahoma and Texas. He only has evidence of tampering with the remaining eight schools. Since none of them left there doesn’t appear to be any damages. Your calculation assumes evidence of tampering between Oklahoma and or Texas.

Reaction Score
Keep in mind that Bowlsby has stated that he has no evidence of tampering regarding Oklahoma and Texas. He only has evidence of tampering with the remaining eight schools. Since none of them left there doesn’t appear to be any damages. Your calculation assumes evidence of tampering between Oklahoma and or Texas.
Yes, the predicate for anything is provable culpability and until that is done, it’s all idle conjecture.

CL82

Reaction Score
Yes, the predicate for anything is provable culpability and until that is done, it’s all idle conjecture.
So… no ascertainable damages.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hipline

Top Bottom