Houston Chronicle exclusive: Texas, Oklahoma reach out to SEC about joining conference. | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Houston Chronicle exclusive: Texas, Oklahoma reach out to SEC about joining conference.

Reaction Score
One of my first thoughts was does the PAC try to absorb some of the Big 12 or does the Big 12 go fishing for some PAC.

It would be the PAC-12 poaching the Big 12. No PAC-12 school would leave their conference to join a Big 12 without TX or OKLA. On the flip side, aside from Kansas, its hard to imagine the PAC 12 would be really interested in any of the other schools.

Reaction Score
One of my first thoughts was does the PAC try to absorb some of the Big 12 or does the Big 12 go fishing for some PAC.
Would the PAC take teams just to crush the B12 in Texas? Do they need an academic fit or is good fb/hoops enough to bury the competition? Baylor and Houston does a lot of damage.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
And poof the expanded 12 team playoff concept gets put on hold.

Could this explain the recent slow down in scheduling games??? Yeah maybe.

I like the idea of the PAC 12 forming a scheduling/media broadcasting alliance with the B12 in order to bring their product to more central and eastern eyeballs...but a B12 with OU and TX and not the leftovers.

Pretty difficult to see the future at the moment - ESPN holds all the cards, their $$$$$$ will steer the decisions.

Reaction Score
And poof the expanded 12 team playoff concept gets put on hold.

Could this explain the recent slow down in scheduling games??? Yeah maybe.

I like the idea of the PAC 12 forming a scheduling/media broadcasting alliance with the B12...but a B12 with OU and TX and not the leftovers.

Pretty difficult to see the future at the moment - ESPN holds all the cards, their $$$$$$ will steer the decisions.
In reverse does that mean Fox has to scramble to save the Big12 and aren't we aligned with Fox?

Reaction Score
I mean this should help UConn with football games on tv with CBS seeing as more teams would bolt premium conferences. Could also see basketball getting a jolt in revenue with Texas and Oklahoma leaving so fox would desperately want content.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
Am I wrong in thinking the B10 might lose its superiority if the SEC pulls this off? Could this motivate a massive addition like ND? I'm not even sure UConn would be the partner school, but we're available.

Reaction Score
Notre Dame is stuck by their long term contract with the ACC....

But with a 12 team playoff extra competition ought not to phase Texas nor Oklahoma...the top four of the SEC will all be picked for the playoff.

Reaction Score
Notre Dame is stuck by their long term contract with the ACC....

But with a 12 team playoff extra competition ought not to phase Texas nor Oklahoma...the top four of the SEC will all be picked for the playoff.
As we have learned, nobody is struck by a contract they are motivated to break. Norte Dame will do what is best for Norte Dame regardless of any contract. UConn will be kind of interesting I suspect. I mean I could see the SEC also reaching out to Clemson and maybe FSU or somebody. If ND leaves too who knows. Of course the Big East fanboys would freak. And that is a huge problem.

ShakyTheMohel

Is it 11:11 yet?
Reaction Score

This is why I dont even try to figure out what might happen. Streaming has changed the model that drove previous realignments. You can't use the households logic that was so popular 10 years ago.

I have no idea how this affects UConn. My guess is not at all.

Reaction Score
As we have learned, nobody is struck by a contract they are motivated to break. Norte Dame will do what is best for Norte Dame regardless of any contract. UConn will be kind of interesting I suspect. I mean I could see the SEC also reaching out to Clemson and maybe FSU or somebody. If ND leaves too who knows. Of course the Big East fanboys would freak. And that is a huge problem.

All Maryland had to contest was a $50 mill Exit Fee and they did pay 3/5 of that....A Long term contract with 15 years remaining would be a very, very, very large sum....and the GOR as well.

The ACC would own media rights to Irish basketball and minor sports...even if the football program paid a gazillion to break their contract.

Reaction Score
All Maryland had to contest was a $50 mill Exit Fee and they did pay 3/5 of that....A Long term contract with 15 years remaining would be a very, very, very large sum....and the GOR as well.

The ACC would own media rights to Irish basketball and minor sports...even if the football program paid a gazillion to break their contract.
Big 10 payout is +- $55 million/ school. so that’s 1 year of media rights. It will be negotiated down plus the Big will bring pressure. They’ll work it out if they want to go they will go.

Reaction Score
Texas/OU leave - Big 12 AAC merger.

They wouldn't merge, the Big 12 would just poach the best teams from the AAC. If the Big12 then expanded by 6 or 8 would UCONN get an offer? and would they accept?

Hopefully if the SEC decided to go to 16, all of the Power conferences would go to 16.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Big 10 payout is +- $55 million/ school. so that’s 1 year of media rights. It will be negotiated down plus the Big will bring pressure. They’ll work it out if they want to go they will go.

SEC does have a GOR....

Why 2023? It starts with expiring TV contracts. The ACC and SEC both have long-term media grant-of-rights agreements, running through 2035-36 and 2033-34, respectively. But the other three Power 5 conferences have agreements ending roughly around the same time (the SEC's Tier 1 deal with CBS runs through 2023-24). The Big Ten last summer opted for a shorter agreement with Fox and ESPN, which runs through 2022-23. The Pac-12 deal expires after the 2023-24 sports year, and the Big 12's ends the following year.

CL82

2023 NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions
Reaction Score

Answer is right in plain site:

1626906479389.png

So this is a power move by the SEC recognizing the demise of geographic markets for cable TV as the driving power behind realignment and moving to the new model, namely large fanbases that will buy digital content.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom