House Money | The Boneyard

House Money

Reaction Score
In prior posts on our forum, I have been a vocal advocate of the idea that our favorite team, playing so far beyond any remotely reasonable preseason expectations, is essentially playing with the House’s money at this point.

I well-remember our mutual discussions of several months ago, when we were all itching for the new season to begin, that many opined that doom and gloom awaited the Huskies in the wake of the severe graduation losses, some confidently predicting not just a small number of losses but multiple defeats. I, among several others, demurred from that view, suggesting that the team would still be playing in late March if not early April. But before any of us in that number break our collective arms patting ourselves on the back, the fact of the matter is that NONE among us predicted that this team would be undefeated at this point in the season, and I cannot recall anyone boastfully predicting yet another National Championship. To be sure, the general tenor of the discussion contained mutual “acceptance” of the prospect of a non-championship season…not with a sense of relief, but with a kind of smug equanimity (speaking for myself, anyway), on grounds that a:) having won fully half of the last twenty-two, for God’s sake, and the last four-in-a-row, it would be somewhat unseemly and excessively greedy to gobble up another in this of all years, and b:) the stars were clearly aligning for UConn to be the overwhelming favorite to “return” to the winner’s circle in 2017/2018.

Well, that was then. Now, as this team has performed so dramatically above expectations, and has beaten all comers, to hell with all that equanimity stuff. Greed, as they say, is good! Let’s get #12 right here and now, and then we can then enjoy all the predictable responses to the inevitable pronouncements of how “bad” this relative dominance is for WCBB. Geno is putting together something we’ll probably never see in sports again. Let’s see if he can keep building on it in an unblemished way. As we say in New Orleans, “laissez les bon temps rouler!!”

Reaction Score
I"m rooting for them. I was one of those who thought that were Coach Geno to take this team to the final four, it would be an amazing coaching performance. He isn't there yet, but a 34-0 record and top seeding is far beyond anything I thought they would achieve.

They've been amazing! I am happy to admit that I was wrong about them.

Go Twelve!!!!!!

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
In prior posts on our forum, I have been a vocal advocate of the idea that our favorite team, playing so far beyond any remotely reasonable preseason expectations, is essentially playing with the House’s money at this point.

I well-remember our mutual discussions of several months ago, when we were all itching for the new season to begin, that many opined that doom and gloom awaited the Huskies in the wake of the severe graduation losses, some confidently predicting not just a small number of losses but multiple defeats. I, among several others, demurred from that view, suggesting that the team would still be playing in late March if not early April. But before any of us in that number break our collective arms patting ourselves on the back, the fact of the matter is that NONE among us predicted that this team would be undefeated at this point in the season, and I cannot recall anyone boastfully predicting yet another National Championship. To be sure, the general tenor of the discussion contained mutual “acceptance” of the prospect of a non-championship season…not with a sense of relief, but with a kind of smug equanimity (speaking for myself, anyway), on grounds that a:) having won fully half of the last twenty-two, for God’s sake, and the last four-in-a-row, it would be somewhat unseemly and excessively greedy to gobble up another in this of all years, and b:) the stars were clearly aligning for UConn to be the overwhelming favorite to “return” to the winner’s circle in 2017/2018.

Well, that was then. Now, as this team has performed so dramatically above expectations, and has beaten all comers, to hell with all that equanimity stuff. Greed, as they say, is good! Let’s get #12 right here and now, and then we can then enjoy all the predictable responses to the inevitable pronouncements of how “bad” this relative dominance is for WCBB. Geno is putting together something we’ll probably never see in sports again. Let’s see if he can keep building on it in an unblemished way. As we say in New Orleans, “laissez les bon temps rouler!!”
TonyC was the one shining light of optimism. I wouldn't be mad if he called us all on the carpet for our pessimism.

Reaction Score
But as we prepare for this weekend's games, and as we look back at all of us of little faith, let us also ponder the words of the recently eliminated Duke WCBB coach Joann P. McCallie on July 1 of last year:

Duke's McCallie Criticizes Geno For Taking Transfers; His Response? She Should 'Try A Little Harder'

"When have you known Connecticut to take transfers?" McCallie said. "They took two this year. They took Azura and [Batouly Camara] from Kentucky. Make sure you look at this stuff from a deep point of view, because why is [Connecticut coach Geno Auriemma] doing that? You know why he's doing that? Because talent is down. And he wants to continue to win. Obviously, they're great.

"But really? Is that what we're about now, I'm going to take transfers? That was the neat thing they used to have. Connecticut wasn't a transfer school. Now, even if they win it, who cares? I can't even understand it because he's such a good coach and it's such a great program."

So as UConn and Coach Auriemma prepare for the game that could take them to the Elite Eight and further, let us also remember Coach Geno's words for Coach JPM:

"She's tried so hard to get to a Final Four with all the disadvantages there (at Duke). So I suggest she try a little harder and let us try to be respectable."

Bu-bye, Duke!

Reaction Score
Before the season started,i think most everyone predicted that Uconn would at least make it to the elite eight and it would be house money after that.Since the team has shown us more than we expected from a talent level, house money is at the final four now.Furthermore,if Geno gets past the semi-final there is no house money.He is 11-0 in the finals and i bet we would all expect him to figure out a way to bring home the big prize.

Reaction Score
Early in the season I was shot down by nearly everyone on the board when I stated the huskies should be ranked #1 , until they were beaten ! SO THERE !

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Early in the season I was shot down by nearly everyone on the board when I stated the huskies should be ranked #1 , until they were beaten ! SO THERE !

I said they should be ranked #1 until beaten also - however I predicted at least 4 losses this year. I won't eat crow because I'm vegan; so I'll my hat instead!

I though you two were thoroughly "beaten" away from these positionsHead bang. :D

CBear01

Plan your work and work your plan
Reaction Score
Although the thread is locked now, before the season began I started a thread explaining how this year's team looks a lot like the 2003 team, the year after the big 4 seniors left after 39-0. I said that I can see this year's team running the table just to prove that we can still play Connecticut basketball even tho we lost #s 1 2 and 3 in the draft. I predicted another undefeated run just like in 2003, only I was hoping we wouldn't lose in the conference turney and golly we havent! I did receive a bit of backlash on my "crazy prediction" but, oddly*, I don't seem to be talking too much crazy now, huh?

I always had faith in these girls. It does not surprise me that they are undefeated. In fact I was willing to put money on another undefeated season but unfortunately one cannot make any such silly bet. I was willing to put up a grand on it.

Keep it up girls! No stopping now!

Reaction Score
Although the thread is locked now, before the season began I started a thread explaining how this year's team looks a lot like the 2003 team, the year after the big 4 seniors left after 39-0. I said that I can see this year's team running the table just to prove that we can still play Connecticut basketball even tho we lost #s 1 2 and 3 in the draft. I predicted another undefeated run just like in 2003, only I was hoping we wouldn't lose in the conference turney and golly we havent! I did receive a bit of backlash on my "crazy prediction" but, oddly*, I don't seem to be talking too much crazy now, huh?

I always had faith in these girls. It does not surprise me that they are undefeated. In fact I was willing to put money on another undefeated season but unfortunately one cannot make any such silly bet. I was willing to put up a grand on it.

Keep it up girls! No stopping now!

What worries me is Maryland.This is not a take for granite matchup.

Reaction Score
I believe uconn is the best team. However, a long time ago the military taught me guard against the unexpected. A flag went up in my head. WHY WOULD THE COMMITTEE place Maryland in Uconn's bracket as a 3 seed, after they publicly say their " rpi " isn't strong enough, yet every analyst claims they were a top 4 team ? HMMM? Seems they want to punish one of the two . A lot of people in the wcbb community are sick of uconn. Sorry, I don't believe in coincidence!

Reaction Score
The committee wanted to instigate the Terps to go after Uconn. But, I'm confident that we will overcome because we have such superior defense in Gabby and Pheesa.

CBear01

Plan your work and work your plan
Reaction Score

You're right, we should not take them for granite but we will end up stoning them should we meet :eek:

:p:p:p

DaddyChoc

Choc Full of UConn
Reaction Score
I'm still not convinced... but I got my Tutu ready smh

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members