Home boiler cost | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Home boiler cost

XLCenterFan

CT, NE
Reaction Score
What should I be spending to have an old boiler replaced and new one installed? I already have a separate hot water heater, and my house is under 2000 square feet. I had a guy come out yesterday and quoted me on putting in a Bosch (top of the line) for about $12,000. Does this sound right? Asking for 10% down and then can finance the rest for only 1%, drawn out up to 12 years.

Reaction Score
Unfortunately, right now we are also digging a new well, old one is kaput. Insurance is kicking in some money but we will have to see how deep they dig to get final bill.

Went through a well issue when we lived in CT.....had to find the head (or whatever it's called) of it underground because there was no record of it, then pull up and replace all of the pipe (it was cracked and apparently, running the pump almost all of the time to keep the prime. It wasn't til we shut everything off to do some electrical work that it wouldn't prime). The guy that did the replacement, left all of the plastic pipe for me to dispose of. I told my wife, while the lawn was all dug up....I should cut up that pipe, lay it facing in various directions and bury it, as a fun prank for next owner/next time. But she's a lot nicer than me, so we properly disposed of the pipe and let the town hall know where the head of the well was for future owners....

Poe

Reaction Score
Paid $17,300 one year ago for a new oil furnace and AC. 3000 sq. ft. house in Fairfield County.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
Paid $17,300 one year ago for a new oil furnace and AC. 3000 sq. ft. house in Fairfield County.
Fairfield County? Damn, I so wanted to Post/Handle your reply.

Reaction Score
'$12k sounds way too high,'
absolutely. thank you for being a bit of fresh air.
2000 sqft house, absent unusual circumstances, calls for around a 60kbtu box, tho sum may boost that to around 80kbtu. whatever.
that kind of box has a price of between 2k to 5k for a host of good quality choices that should last a dozen or more years, while the gold plated stuff might make it to 15 years.
but for some products squeezed by tight supply, many manufactured products have been coming down, hard, in price recently. word up.
on the udder hand, last month the northeast sent out an sos for diesel/heating oil supply (real bad), and just yesterday eversource sent out another sos on gas supply (real bad).

not at all interested in hearing the whines on carbon inflation since many of youse brought this on the rest of us by your leadership choices.
why, just last week, the germans announced that they're tearing down a wind farm so a coal mine can expand. look it up.
anyway, normal thinking all around, a 2k sqft house needing a heat only boiler should be around $5k to $7k, all in.
keep looking until you hear that price from a normal source. thankfully, Connecticut is swimming in quality heating professionals. like, almost on every block swimming.
As someone who sells HVAC for a living, a Boiler can cost between $6800-$25,000 from the same company. A Bosch boiler is going to be 95% efficient. It requires a number of changes and additional work more so than installing a standard $6800 gas single zone 80% efficient boiler. Oil boilers are significantly more expensive compared to their gas equivalent. High Efficiency gas and propane boilers are more expensive and they bypass the need to connect to your chimney. Gas is very acidic and codes address what kind of liner you must have to keep it from crumbling over time. 90% and above Boilers/Furnaces direct vent out using PVC.

Square footage of the home isn’t that important when it comes to price unless it’s an unusually large home. Boilers come in many sizes. Air Conditioning and Furnaces however due depend on the square footage much more so than for boilers. Number of zones is very important for boiler pricing. There are also several combinations of water heaters that range from $0-$7800. Combi boilers will give you tankless hot water but only provide about 3.8 Gallons per minute. Indirect water heaters last 50 years but they’re an additional cost.

$12,000 for a Bosch High Efficiency 2 zone combi boiler is a GOOD price. Especially if you’re converting from an 80% boiler to a 95%. Unfortunately your average home owner has no idea what it should cost, the code requirements and what you’re being offered.

For example: there’s gas and oil Steam Boilers. I sold one in West Hartford a couple years ago for $25k. Why? It needed to be disassembled and reassembled to get it into the basement. The house was 3000 sq feet and 1 zone. We were the lowest price he found.

Another house was a single zone gas boiler with a standard 85% efficiency . This costs about $7500 for a good brand and $6800 for a generic.

I’ve sold HVAC for 14 years, unfortunately I’m no longer in CT. The best thing you can do is call 3 reputable companies. Ask questions. The one you trust the most and clearly tells you what you’re getting is the correct one to choose. Remember this isn’t a refrigerator. Craftsmanship is the difference between a 25 year boiler and a 3 year boiler. I see both getting replaced every day. Focus on price first and you’ll either get lucky or you’ll pay to do it twice.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
How did you switch to Gas? Despite living 1/4 mile from a gas line, they won't run it to our neighborhood.
Had gas on my street. Mass law is that if gas is on your street the utility is required to cover all costs to run gas to the home if you want to switch from oil.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Had gas on my street. Mass law is that if gas is on your street the utility is required to cover all costs to run gas to the home if you want to switch from oil.
It's not on our street, but a major gas line is adjacent to it. Next house needs to have gas.

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
try this.
supplyhouse.com sells stuff, like metal boxes that make a little fire from oil or gas, and that fire heats a small tank of water, which is then pumped to one or two pipes that carry it thruout a crib, then return it.
like these:
https://www.supplyhouse.com/Boilers-449000
they have a telephone number, 888-757-4774 i think, where you can call and say 'hey! i see u got some kind of program called 'trademasters' which sounds like local installers that u are hooked up with. who are the ones near me?'
if that don't work, there'll only be another pantload of similar national supply businesses that will have contacts for local installers. and then there is the, seemingly in every town, local supply houses that have pals to rec for an estimate.

now, i have to go and lie down to contemplate the phrase 'ceiling radiant heat' cuz apparently, physics has been ended and heat no longer rises, and cold no longer falls.
nuthin funnier than going into a commercial building and noticing the vents are located in the ceiling, typically for hot air heat, and a/c. well, they got it half right. unreal. makes me want to find the owner, and sell them meteor insurance, or doggie footwear.

the king of heat is radiant floor heating, but u really have to be a sharp cookie to find a reasonable price cuz that stuff can be very expensive, and many 'pros' just make up numbers, and long speeches.
pursuit of warm tootsies can make folks irrational, cuz it's just
sooooooo good.

Reaction Score
now, i have to go and lie down to contemplate the phrase 'ceiling radiant heat' cuz apparently, physics has been ended and heat no longer rises, and cold no longer falls.
I know it seems counter-intuitive, but if I understand it properly, it’s radiant energy from the heated water that heats the air above the floor, and then heated air rises. With heated water in ceiling pipes (the same ribbon like network used in floors), the radiant energy radiants downward and heats objects below. Insulation above the ceiling pipe network keeps the radiant energy reflected downward. The ceiling lets the heat energy conduct through it. At least, that is my understanding of it.

Reaction Score
try this.
supplyhouse.com sells stuff, like metal boxes that make a little fire from oil or gas, and that fire heats a small tank of water, which is then pumped to one or two pipes that carry it thruout a crib, then return it.
like these:
https://www.supplyhouse.com/Boilers-449000
they have a telephone number, 888-757-4774 i think, where you can call and say 'hey! i see u got some kind of program called 'trademasters' which sounds like local installers that u are hooked up with. who are the ones near me?'
if that don't work, there'll only be another pantload of similar national supply businesses that will have contacts for local installers. and then there is the, seemingly in every town, local supply houses that have pals to rec for an estimate.

nuthin funnier than going into a commercial building and noticing the vents are located in the ceiling, typically for hot air heat, and a/c. well, they got it half right. unreal. makes me want to find the owner, and sell them meteor insurance, or doggie footwear.

the king of heat is radiant floor heating, but u really have to be a sharp cookie to find a reasonable price cuz that stuff can be very expensive, and many 'pros' just make up numbers, and long speeches.
pursuit of warm tootsies can make folks irrational, cuz it's just
sooooooo good.
Yeah follow this guys advice lol.

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
Yeah follow this guys advice lol.
can't seem to find where i mentioned u.

u seem mad.
or, mebbe better, u seem like a salesperson. iffn u are, can i get an estimate for a 'ceiling radiant heat' system?

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
price irrelevant? the King!
'Warmboard has become one of the most sought after radiant heating systems on the market, providing superior performance, substantial energy savings and unrivaled comfort.'

tru dat.
About Us
not really 'high tech' in the truest sense of the phrase - ya just run a spaghetti pipe matrix underneath the floor, filled with hot fluid, but lots of folks, cough, cough, 'pros,' can screw up low tech too.

many are amazed when the thermo for this system can be set at 60 and u feel toasty warm, while an old school system set at 70 can sometimes make u feel chilly, especially iffn u aren't feeling so hot to begin with.
they should put this system in every hospital and senior home.
capitally expensive, operationally cheap. efficient with a capital E.
i like operationally cheap. long run, an all that.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
price irrelevant? the King!
'Warmboard has become one of the most sought after radiant heating systems on the market, providing superior performance, substantial energy savings and unrivaled comfort.'

tru dat.
About Us
not really 'high tech' in the truest sense of the phrase - ya just run a spaghetti pipe matrix underneath the floor, filled with hot fluid, but lots of folks, cough, cough, 'pros,' can screw up low tech too.

many are amazed when the thermo for this system can be set at 60 and u feel toasty warm, while an old school system set at 70 can sometimes make u feel chilly, especially iffn u aren't feeling so hot to begin with.
they should put this system in every hospital and senior home.
capitally expensive, operationally cheap. efficient with a capital E.
i like operationally cheap. long run, an all that.
Not the least bit mad. I actually went over that in a previous post. Every condo in Heritage Village was actually made with Radiant Heat in the ceiling. I wouldn’t sell it or install it even if a customer demanded it. Why would you prefer it be installed in your ceiling?

You wouldn’t run hot water radiant heat in your ceiling either. It would have to be electric (you would likely need to hire an electrician). If you ran hot water in your ceiling you’re risking quite a mess if anyone ever shuts that zone off in the winter or if you have a power outage. Radiant heat makes you feel most comfortable for a number of reasons but you’re right it is very comfortable. My experience with senior living facilities is that they typically turn the temperature to 80 degrees and it usually requires an oversized system to deliver that temperature.

Reaction Score
I know it seems counter-intuitive, but if I understand it properly, it’s radiant energy from the heated water that heats the air above the floor, and then heated air rises. With heated water in ceiling pipes (the same ribbon like network used in floors), the radiant energy radiants downward and heats objects below. Insulation above the ceiling pipe network keeps the radiant energy reflected downward. The ceiling lets the heat energy conduct through it. At least, that is my understanding of it.
You’re close but that’s not how it heats the people or the objects in the room. Radiant Heat Transfer doesn’t focus or rely on heating the air. That would be convection heating. Instead radiant heat transfers the energy through electromagnetic radiation. This is how the Sun transfers heat to the Earth through the vacuum of space. The cooler objects absorb the heat and those objects along with the radiant floor gradually raises the air temperature. This is why you are more comfortable with radiant heat compared to the air temperature. Your body and the objects around you will absorb the energy and warm before the air temperature in the catches up. Thus comfort is satisfied at a lower thermostat temperature.

Electric radiant heat, which is what you would normally find in a ceiling is actually quite expensive. There are some other products that I’m not too familiar with such as radiant roof panels. In my experience it works best in the floor. Also, the temperature below the thermostat will still be cooler than the rest of the room. This makes sitting down in that room feel drafty due to the chill.

Reaction Score
Just had viessmann 105 btu vr1-105 oil boiler with 42 gallon indirect water heater and new oil tank installed by local plumber for 10700 dollars. 2500 sq. ft. house. Shopped around all summer. Lots of crazy prices out there. South Windsor area

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom