Home boiler cost | The Boneyard

Home boiler cost

XLCenterFan

CT, NE
Reaction Score
What should I be spending to have an old boiler replaced and new one installed? I already have a separate hot water heater, and my house is under 2000 square feet. I had a guy come out yesterday and quoted me on putting in a Bosch (top of the line) for about $12,000. Does this sound right? Asking for 10% down and then can finance the rest for only 1%, drawn out up to 12 years.

dvegas

Duck Fuke
Reaction Score
I gotta do my HVAC. Replacing 2009 unit. Nuts no more "unit cost, plus parts and hourly labor" Everything priced as a package now (every contractor I've talked to), price not even guaranteed if "unforseen issues and/or parts). Scam, plus it incentivices them to rush through the job :mad:

TerryBoyz

Get four fruits!
Reaction Score
I had a combination boiler & hot water “device” installed about a year ago for natural gas. I paid much less than $12k but it isn’t a Bosch.
Generally speaking I noticed some variation in quotes after I confirmed the scope of work was the same.
Also check link below for a possible rebate and financing. I also got 1%.
Hope that helps!

Reaction Score
I replaced 2 Furnaces and 2 AC units at my house in 2020. The cost was about $22,000. I didn't go with top of the line, I went with Bryant. Basically the same as Carrier, but not as pricey.

I talked with them a couple of weeks ago about something else and they said that those units this year would cost upwards of $27,000 to install. Nuts how crazy things have gotten.

Reaction Score
What should I be spending to have an old boiler replaced and new one installed? I already have a separate hot water heater, and my house is under 2000 square feet. I had a guy come out yesterday and quoted me on putting in a Bosch (top of the line) for about $12,000. Does this sound right? Asking for 10% down and then can finance the rest for only 1%, drawn out up to 12 years.
We just replaced furnace, hot water heater, and a/c for a 2800 sq foot house. It ran us about 26k. We went with Bosch and like it quite a bit.

Reaction Score
Did a natural gas install last year (taking it inside from outside, running pipe to stove across basement ceiling, new boiler connected to existing hot water tank) and it was somewhere 12-15k outside Boston.

Reaction Score
I replaced 2 Furnaces and 2 AC units at my house in 2020. The cost was about $22,000. I didn't go with top of the line, I went with Bryant. Basically the same as Carrier, but not as pricey.

I talked with them a couple of weeks ago about something else and they said that those units this year would cost upwards of $27,000 to install. Nuts how crazy things have gotten.
I wonder if the inflation info gives companies license to just increase prices as they wish. I bought a 6’ slider last year…very nice with wood inside and vinyl out. 1600. This past June I bought a 5ft all vinyl cheaper construction from the Same co for 1550. I went to write a review in august after install and it was 2k. That’s 25% in 2 months. Does they mean inflation is really 150%?

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Get more quotes. Buderus is a top brand. $12k sounds way too high, especially if you don't have an indirect fired hot water tank in that price. Do you have Gas or Oil?

Reaction Score
I wonder if the inflation info gives companies license to just increase prices as they wish. I bought a 6’ slider last year…very nice with wood inside and vinyl out. 1600. This past June I bought a 5ft all vinyl cheaper construction from the Same co for 1550. I went to write a review in august after install and it was 2k. That’s 25% in 2 months. Does they mean inflation is really 150%?

I don't know the real inflation #, but in my experience and what I have had to buy it is closer to 20-25%, not the 8% that is being talked about. I'm a teacher and I don't expect my salary to increase to keep up and we are struggling right now with everything.

Reaction Score
This summer with State Line in Granby - all work, and took old unit out - this is for 2,300+ sq foot house, 2 zones, this has the capability to add more if we wanted, this is for the boiler and hot water heater
this is direct vent - we don't use our chimney anymore and it works great - 4 kids (14,18, 20 and 22) who take long showers
1) Energy Kinetics System 2000 EK-1R 91% Oil fired boiler with energy manager
2) 40-gallon hot water storage tank w/ plate exchanger
3) Caleffi fast-acting zone valve and circulators
4) Mounted Air Box for Quiet Operation
5) Caleffi automatic water feeder and backflow valve
6) Tiger Loop with run to current oil tank within basement
7) Sensors, operating controls, and limits
8) Safety relief valves, American made ball valves, and purge station
9) Copper pipe and fittings
10) Energy Kinetics Fresh Air Intake and sidewall ventilation kit
11) Electrical
12) Micron oil filter with vacuum gauge
13) Labor
14) Necessary tax and permits
15) Startup and test
All work provided comes with the State Line Oil and Propane 1 year no hassle warranty. This boiler comes with a 20-year limit lifetime factory warranty.
Total: $16,543.00
We used the energize CT loan program - paid about $3500 up front and the rest over 10 years for 0.99% interest as part of our Eversource electricity bill.

Reaction Score
That sounds like it's in the ballpark of somewhat reasonable quotes. My brother in law does plumbing/heating.

Don't get me started on current lumber/composite decking costs...

Reaction Score
I am considering a conversion from oil to propane for HWBB. I’ll also go with spot water heaters. Anyone here try this?

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
Get more quotes. Buderus is a top brand. $12k sounds way too high, especially if you don't have an indirect fired hot water tank in that price. Do you have Gas or Oil?
'$12k sounds way too high,'
absolutely. thank you for being a bit of fresh air.
2000 sqft house, absent unusual circumstances, calls for around a 60kbtu box, tho sum may boost that to around 80kbtu. whatever.
that kind of box has a price of between 2k to 5k for a host of good quality choices that should last a dozen or more years, while the gold plated stuff might make it to 15 years.
but for some products squeezed by tight supply, many manufactured products have been coming down, hard, in price recently. word up.
on the udder hand, last month the northeast sent out an sos for diesel/heating oil supply (real bad), and just yesterday eversource sent out another sos on gas supply (real bad).

not at all interested in hearing the whines on carbon inflation since many of youse brought this on the rest of us by your leadership choices.
why, just last week, the germans announced that they're tearing down a wind farm so a coal mine can expand. look it up.
anyway, normal thinking all around, a 2k sqft house needing a heat only boiler should be around $5k to $7k, all in.
keep looking until you hear that price from a normal source. thankfully, Connecticut is swimming in quality heating professionals. like, almost on every block swimming.

Reaction Score
I recommend checking with the Purdue forum.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
I recommend checking with the Purdue forum.
4vyp8j.gif

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
and, for those hard of thinking on the 'manufactured products' prices going down, hard, just think aboot boilers. home boilers. lessee here, add the six, subtract the 2, multiply by the coefficient of friction, add plancs constant, ..... right now, new home construction is falling by hundreds of thousands on an annual basis.
that's a lot of boilers. not.
math is our friend.

i didn't know it, but i was recently informed that i needed a new office chair. 'ratty' was the operative word from someone not named me. my standards are low, and a plain old folding chair is fine by me, or an upside down garbage pail or block of wood works fine. anyway, so informed of my 'urgent' need, i hit wallyworld online, and scored a sweet one for $98 all in (had to asssemble it, mebbe 15 minutes).
it was $300 last year. work from home an all that back then, methinks.

Last edited:
Reaction Score

I did an ondemand natural gas navien system to replace an old oil boiler (baseboard water heat), 2500 sq foot house, paid 7600 total and got like 1000 back from the state (MA) for incenties. 2 years ago.

Reaction Score
Thanks for posting all this information. Up in NH, we are replacing old oil burning steam boiler with yet to be decided system. Have 2 story expanded brick cape with poor insulation. Put in heat pump system upstairs with AC so good there. Downstairs, wife wants radiant heat but in the ceiling panels if possible, hot water radiant not electric wire, with likely a propane boiler for the hot water. If we have to, we can do in-floor radiant heat. She doesn't want to have to replace the floors is why ceiling radiant is her preference, but no plumbers near us have ever done radiant that way.

Were it up to me, I'd just replace the old steam boiler with a new steam boiler, keep and clean out the existing steam radiators or replace them with new ones, and be done with it.

Unfortunately, right now we are also digging a new well, old one is kaput. Insurance is kicking in some money but we will have to see how deep they dig to get final bill.

Reaction Score
I'm dealing with a very similar need. I have an old oil fired boiler that I want to replace with a gas boiler. The first contractor looked it over and gave me some round numbers starting at 14k. Then he never followed up with a real quote. Still searching out some final quotes. Very interested in this thread.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
I did an ondemand natural gas navien system to replace an old oil boiler (baseboard water heat), 2500 sq foot house, paid 7600 total and got like 1000 back from the state (MA) for incenties. 2 years ago.
How did you switch to Gas? Despite living 1/4 mile from a gas line, they won't run it to our neighborhood.

Reaction Score
This summer with State Line in Granby - all work, and took old unit out - this is for 2,300+ sq foot house, 2 zones, this has the capability to add more if we wanted, this is for the boiler and hot water heater
this is direct vent - we don't use our chimney anymore and it works great - 4 kids (14,18, 20 and 22) who take long showers
1) Energy Kinetics System 2000 EK-1R 91% Oil fired boiler with energy manager
2) 40-gallon hot water storage tank w/ plate exchanger
3) Caleffi fast-acting zone valve and circulators
4) Mounted Air Box for Quiet Operation
5) Caleffi automatic water feeder and backflow valve
6) Tiger Loop with run to current oil tank within basement
7) Sensors, operating controls, and limits
8) Safety relief valves, American made ball valves, and purge station
9) Copper pipe and fittings
10) Energy Kinetics Fresh Air Intake and sidewall ventilation kit
11) Electrical
12) Micron oil filter with vacuum gauge
13) Labor
14) Necessary tax and permits
15) Startup and test
All work provided comes with the State Line Oil and Propane 1 year no hassle warranty. This boiler comes with a 20-year limit lifetime factory warranty.
Total: $16,543.00
We used the energize CT loan program - paid about $3500 up front and the rest over 10 years for 0.99% interest as part of our Eversource electricity bill.
I put in the System 2000 unit also- my oil guy recommended it. Best money I ever spent on my house. Paid for itself in 3 years

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom