Hilton Armstrong vs Isaiah Whaley | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Hilton Armstrong vs Isaiah Whaley

Reaction Score
Whaley is a better player overall than Hilton was. I mean not as a much of a physical specimen who looks NBA ready, nor will he probably ever see an NBA roster. But as far as impact he's a better defender no doubt. His game is not hidden amongst of other jewels, NBA draft picks, like Hilton was. Hilton had some unbelievable blocks and dunks et, and improved dramatically much like IW. There a debate here but a good one, I just think IW is a bit better overall.
I certainly hope he makes it in the NBA, but not many players, Whaley included, had the arms Hilton had. He definitely is a better shooter than Hilton was.

Reaction Score
I don't remember Hilton being a better defender around the hoop at all. Or a better player. Hilton was drafted on spec not actual game.
I remember Hilton “waking up” after his freshman year, improved dramatically in all facets of his game, and became a very good interior post player. I remember Calhoun and one assistant coach in particular having an effect on Hilton’s progress.

Reaction Score
Whaley is a better player overall than Hilton was. I mean not as a much of a physical specimen who looks NBA ready, nor will he probably ever see an NBA roster. But as far as impact he's a better defender no doubt. His game is not hidden amongst of other jewels, NBA draft picks, like Hilton was. Hilton had some unbelievable blocks and dunks et, and improved dramatically much like IW. There a debate here but a good one, I just think IW is a bit better overall.
I don’t know, hear what you’re saying, but.........
NBA scouts loved Hilton, he was a first round draft pick, and had a decent NBA career for a few years. Whaley needs to improve in several areas, but I hope he gets his shot.

Reaction Score
Armstrong could shoot out to about 16-17 feet, and if the game/Calhoun had allowed it, he probably would have developed 3-point range. Armstrong was a superior athlete and player.
I don't see Armstrong as a superior athlete. Whaley is clearly a more mobile player in how he runs the court and can hedge on defense.. Armsrong was clearly slower but taller. Hilton was great on help defense blocks while i see whaley as a better one on one defender. Offensively Armstrong had better post game including a turnaround shot. Whaley has more range than Armstrong. Clearly Armstrong benefited from being on a very strong Uconn team. Armstrong"s career wasn't that impressive and shouldn't of been drafted. Whaley is too small and hasn't shown enough of a 3 point shot snd take his man off the ball to get drafted at his height. Neither really are NBA material even if Armstrong got drafted.

Reaction Score
I don't see Armstrong as a superior athlete. Whaley is clearly a more mobile player in how he runs the court and can hedge on defense.. Armsrong was clearly slower but taller. Hilton was great on help defense blocks while i see whaley as a better one on one defender. Offensively Armstrong had better post game including a turnaround shot. Whaley has more range than Armstrong. Clearly Armstrong benefited from being on a very strong Uconn team. Armstrong"s career wasn't that impressive and shouldn't of been drafted. Whaley is too small and hasn't shown enough of a 3 point shot snd take his man off the ball to get drafted at his height. Neither really are NBA material even if Armstrong got drafted.
I like Whaley, lots of heart, but he needs to improve a little to get a shot at the next level. It’s certainly not going to improve his stock when scouts see Collin Gillespie back push him from the top of the key with his butt all the way to the basket for an “and one”.

huskypantz

All posts from this user are AI-generated
Reaction Score
In today's NBA, I think they're basically neck and neck in draft position (see what I did there?). The problem with Whaley is that he's kind of a liability offensively as he's just not a go-to guy. His role is 100% D, rebounds, garbage points and hit open shots from the perimeter. That screams D-league to me but I think he could get called up as an effort guy who gets you 5-15 minutes off the bench.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
I disagree. Hilton was a nice piece and stepped in to fill Okafor's shoes a lot better than most would have thought, but Whaley is much more important to this team than Hilton was for his.

Reaction Score
Interesting question. The more I think about it the less I know. I can’t help myself by not getting past that Hilton was drafted 12th. Wow. Although, his jump in ability from soph to junior year, or was it junior to senior year, may have been the greatest single season progression in UConn history.

Reaction Score
Interesting question. The more I think about it the less I know. I can’t help myself by not getting past that Hilton was drafted 12th. Wow. Although, his jump in ability from soph to junior year, or was it junior to senior year, may have been the greatest single season progression in UConn history.

The way the game is played today it is doubtful Hilton would get drafted. Maybe late second round. Obviously the team that picked him at 12 overreached.

The better comparison for Whaley as far as playing style goes is Josh Boone.

Last edited:

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Hilton had the big jump from junior year to senior year but he still a work in progress. I'd definitely say Whaley has a better offensive game and is more versatile defensively. Hilton had 2-3 inches on Whaley and became big enough to guard true 5's straight up. Whaley still struggles defensively with the bigger 4's and 5's. There was the picture last week of Carlton, Polley and Whaley. Carlton was about 2" taller than Whaley and Polley was at least an inch taller than Whaley.

Hilton Armstrong Stats | Basketball-Reference.com (basketball-reference.com)

1615748994303.png

Reaction Score
Hilton had the big jump from junior year to senior year but he still a work in progress. I'd definitely say Whaley has a better offensive game and is more versatile defensively. Hilton had 2-3 inches on Whaley and became big enough to guard true 5's straight up. Whaley still struggles defensively with the bigger 4's and 5's. There was the picture last week of Carlton, Polley and Whaley. Carlton was about 2" taller than Whaley and Polley was at least an inch taller than Whaley.

Hilton Armstrong Stats | Basketball-Reference.com (basketball-reference.com)

View attachment 65753
Yeah but Whaley's reach is insane and makes up for his lack of height. The problem is NBA he is a 4 without the offensive skills to play at that level(can't take his man of the dribble and hasn't shown he can shoot well enough and be a volume 3 point shooter which he would neee to do as and NBA 4.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom