Hilton Armstrong vs Isaiah Whaley | The Boneyard

Hilton Armstrong vs Isaiah Whaley

Reaction Score
I have been watching UConn basketball for many years Whaley and Armstrong came to UConn to with not a lot of press. They were both considered projects. The jump both players made from the freshmen year to the senior year has been something amazing to watch. Armstrong made it to the NBA and I think the way the NBA is today Whaley has a great chance. Out of Armstrong and Whaley who do think had a better UConn basketball career?

Reaction Score
Hilton started on a team that was the #2 overall seed in the tournament and got drafted in the 1st round, so I'm gonna go with him.

But their stats are pretty similar. Whaley struggled with finishing earlier this year, but otherwise they're pretty comparable.

Hilton was obviously taller and longer so had more NBA potential then, but I think you have a fair point that if both were coming out this year, Whaley might be more desirable to NBA scouts due to his mobility and efforts to stretch his game out. I don't think Whaley will get drafted, but he's got a shot to play his way into the league and try to fit into a Kenneth Faried type role.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
How many Hilton Units does Whaley have? NBA execs are gonna want to know.

Less than one. We all knew Hilton was over-drafted, but the NBA loved bigs at that time.

Reaction Score
I love the trolling where posters aren't even trying to hide the intentional misspelling of Isaiah Whaley anymore.
Troll? That's a stupid statement. Either you reply to the post or keep it moving! Its always someone looking to say something stupid. Good you spelled his name correctly! LMAOOO!

Reaction Score
Although I like Whaley, I wouldn't have to think twice. Hilton was a different beast

Reaction Score
The reason this argument makes sense is because Hilton doesn’t make the NBA based on today’s metrics, similar to Whaley, though I don’t think Whaley makes it back then either.

I think Hilton was a more dominating presence defensively, but Whaley impacts the game defensively in many more facets.

In college, I choose Hilton.

Reaction Score
For this team, Isaiah works best. The defense overall sways me. Both similar stories though respect them both as they had the similar growth in their careers. Slight edge for IW but really good comparison.

Reaction Score
I have been watching UConn basketball for many years Whaley and Armstrong came to UConn to with not a lot of press. They were both considered projects. The jump both players made from the freshmen year to the senior year has been something amazing to watch. Armstrong made it to the NBA and I think the way the NBA is today Whaley has a great chance. Out of Armstrong and Whaley who do think had a better UConn basketball career?
Whaley isnt playing in the NBA.

Reaction Score
In retrospect it's unfortunate Isiah didn't shoot more throughout his career. I'm not sure what others think. I like his stroke. It's pretty high. Kinda simple looking. He makes 3s look short. Unlike Martin who makes 3s look longer. Not that it matters so much.

I don't have numbers, but I suspect Isiah shoots a respectable percentage as well.

As far as Isiah and the NBA is concerned. We've discussed a few times. He moves well enough. Plays solid D. But he has to shoot the three well. Which he may be able to do. I think he also needs some ability to put the ball on the floor. He's shown close to zero ability there. Maybe he can do that as well, but it's basically not on his resume today. So he'll need to either show it and/or learn it after his UCONN career. In some lesser league.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Hey Guys,

Hilton Armstrong had a well-defined role w/ JC's ranked teams of the time - Block shots, Grab every rebound, Help out on D, & Pick up the "garbage" points around the hoop. And he played it really well.

And if you'll remember, Armstrong was the much better athlete, stronger (245 lbs. of rock-solid, lean muscle), who also jumped at least a foot higher than Whaley, playing well above the square. An intimidator, Armstrong blocked or changed more shots than Whaley by far. Armstrong's higher rebound-to-minutes percentages were impressive! Being a tough kid, Armstrong was often in JC's doghouse cuz he wasn't afraid to talk back, Ha!

Whaley plays with more heart & works his butt off in the paint. He's the 'TEAM-FIRST' spiritual heart of this current team, not Bouknight (who reminds me a lot of Tony Hanson). Whaley lives for defense.

But Isaiah hasn't consolidated all his skills into a well-defined & executed role & his shooting form (footwork) is spotty. Excellent paint presence & defense, but not a consistent dominant, above-the- rim shot blocker like Armstrong. Whaley simply has to be a more consistent 'double-double' offensive guy in every game for the Huskies to advance. He has to be able to create & score inside when needed too. Inability to dribble or create hurts Whaley & UConn a lot - especially in "small ball" which has been mentioned.

I agree with NDakotaHusky on every point. Armstrong passed the eye test much better than Whaley does. But with his dependable hustle, heart & great attitude, Isaiah Whaley could be my teammate anytime, in any endeavour.

Hilton Armstrong was a multi-year, NBA-tough-guy pro. Isaiah Whaley will play a bit in the G league (maybe) & will definitely play in international leagues. If UConn advances in the NCAA tournament, Whaley could up his stock into an NBA try-out or shot. Of course, just being named Big East "Co-Defensive Player of the Year" can't hurt Whaley either!

However, I predict that Isaiah Whaley will be a real winner & leader in his post-hoops life, wherever it leads him. Good Luck Isaiah!

Hilton Armstrong was the better athlete & player of the two, IMO.

Father Demo

Last edited:

BGesus4

Running everywhere
Reaction Score
Whaley’s career has been more impressive in my book. I think he’s overcome way longer odds to be great and had to persist against tougher circumstances. Probably the best I’ve seen. He wasn’t even really a major part of either of his head coaches plans for the team and essentially demanded he be a major part of the team through grit, through one of the toughest times in the history of the program.

Hilton was definitely a big project and exceeded expectations but there was a path there. Hilton physically grew into a beast during his career (ie more of a late bloomer than someone who purely grinded his way to success). He was a better talent tho and, obviously, a lottery pick.

Reaction Score
Whaley’s career has been more impressive in my book. I think he’s overcome way longer odds to be great and had to persist against tougher circumstances. Probably the best I’ve seen. He wasn’t even really a major part of either of his head coaches plans for the team and essentially demanded he be a major part of the team through grit, through one of the toughest times in the history of the program.

Hilton was definitely a big project and exceeded expectations but there was a path there. Hilton physically grew into a beast during his career (ie more of a late bloomer than someone who purely grinded his way to success). He was a better talent tho and, obviously, a lottery pick.

He was a lottery pick in 2006. I think it's fair to say he's probably not a lottery pick today given the direction of the league.

They're really two completely different players each of whom is better suited to the era in which he plays than the era in which the other guy played.

Reaction Score
A big similarity is that they both were/ are hesitant to take an outside shoot. Always remember Hilton's shot fakes at the foul line and out. Everyone knew he wasn't going to put it up.

Reaction Score
Nothing against Whaley, love his heart but Armstrong, by the time he left UConn, was a much better defender around the basket, ball handler and passer for a big guy, and had better footwork. That’s why the NBA took him. On shooting skills I’d give a very slight edge to Whaley.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Nothing against Whaley, love his heart but Armstrong, by the time he left UConn, was a much better defender around the basket, ball handler and passer for a big guy, and had better footwork. That’s why the NBA took him. On shooting skills I’d give a very slight edge to Whaley.
I don't remember Hilton being a better defender around the hoop at all. Or a better player. Hilton was drafted on spec not actual game.

Reaction Score
Whaley is a better player overall than Hilton was. I mean not as a much of a physical specimen who looks NBA ready, nor will he probably ever see an NBA roster. But as far as impact he's a better defender no doubt. His game is not hidden amongst of other jewels, NBA draft picks, like Hilton was. Hilton had some unbelievable blocks and dunks et, and improved dramatically much like IW. There a debate here but a good one, I just think IW is a bit better overall.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom