OT: High Blood Pressure | The Boneyard

OT: High Blood Pressure

Reaction Score
Ive been recently diagnosed with HBP and have been prescribed Hydrochlorathiamide pills. Apparently salt is an issue for me even though im not a big salt guy or at least I thought. So whenever I eat anything with even moderate salt I feel terrible and my bp goes through the roof. So are my days of enjoying food over? Getting old sucks!!!

pj

Reaction Score
If salt is a problem it means you are not getting enough potassium. Try eating tomatoes and potatoes instead of bread and processed foods. You also probably need zinc, copper, magnesium and vitamin K2 from fermented foods like cheese.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
Ive been recently diagnosed with HBP and have been prescribed Hydrochlorathiamide pills. Apparently salt is an issue for me even though im not a big salt guy or at least I thought. So whenever I eat anything with even moderate salt I feel terrible and my bp goes through the roof. So are my days of enjoying food over? Getting old sucks!!!

different bodies via genetics process different things differently. Take your meds and watch your salt, youll be fine. Me? I was in the middle of 60 lb weight loss and eating really healthy and my bloodwork showed my triglycerides were through the roof. My dr told me “ you’re doing the right things , you could eat 15 pieces of fried chicken a day and not have those show up that high. “

Some things are just genetics. Adjust accordingly and use modern medicine until you don’t need it, but if you always do that’s ok.

Reaction Score
My mom has this issue. She turns 87 on Tuesday. It's not the HBP that's her main issue now. Have a great life, but take your pills.

Reaction Score
Do you mean hydrochorothiazide? It is a diuretic that removes salt from your body...but you must check your potassium as that will fall also and needs to be monitored along with your calcium levels. It can also cause gout by increasing uric acid. It is important that you not become dehydrated especially in this hot weather. Call your doctor is you have vomiting or diarrhea. I believe, and please don't sue me, if you don't add salt to your food and watch the salt content of your food, you should be able to enjoy food. It becomes an acquired taste after a while. Don't fret.

Reaction Score
If salt is a problem it means you are not getting enough potassium. Try eating tomatoes and potatoes instead of bread and processed foods. You also probably need zinc, copper, magnesium and vitamin K2 from fermented foods like cheese.
Thanks. Ive actually had low potassium issues in the past. Is there a good multivitamin I could take to get all that? also would it correct the issue with the bp?

Last edited:

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
Thanks. Ive actually had low potassium issues in the past. Is there a good multivitamin I could take to get all that?
How do you feel about bananas?

Reaction Score
Cut out processed foods, canned foods especially canned soup, sugary beverages. Eat lean meats, nuts, beans, garlic, beets, avocado etc. Try to eat more veggies and fruits.

Start your day off with oats, not the flavored oatmeal stuff. Get real oats and flavor it yourself with blueberries, bananas, greek yogurt, peanut butter etc.

pj

Reaction Score
Thanks. Ive actually had low potassium issues in the past. Is there a good multivitamin I could take to get all that? also would it correct the issue with the bp?

No, you have to get potassium from food. Eat natural whole foods, not foods that have labels beginning with starch, sugar, or oil. Zinc, magnesium, and K2 you can supplement. Copper is best gotten from food, dark chocolate and beef or lamb liver are good sources.

Reaction Score
Cut out processed foods, canned foods especially canned soup, sugary beverages. Eat lean meats, nuts, beans, garlic, beets, avocado etc. Try to eat more veggies and fruits.

Start your day off with oats, not the flavored oatmeal stuff. Get real oats and flavor it yourself with blueberries, bananas, greek yogurt, peanut butter etc.

Overnight oats with bananas/berries/peanutbutter (and chocolate chips if you're me) is a gamechanger. Grab it on the way out the door, and eat it during my first class. Tell the kids if they narc about me keeping food in my room I will ruin them.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Eat foods with no salt, preferably very heavy foods so that you also exercise while you eat.

Also, cut out carrots, beets and cabbage from your diet because they’re freaking gross.

Reaction Score
Eat foods with no salt, preferably very heavy foods so that you also exercise while you eat.

Also, cut out carrots, beets and cabbage from your diet because they’re freaking gross.
ap_16238344438010.jpg

Curiouser
Reaction Score
One thing that is better than all the advice here is to walk at least 20 min a day.

You're better off walking five miles to McDonald's than eating a salad on your couch.
Yes but walking five miles will likely take you at least 75 to 100 minutes. Each way.

temery

What?
Reaction Score
Yes but walking five miles will likely take you at least 75 to 100 minutes. Each way.

Two entirely separate thoughts. That's why I separated the sentences. And I'd expect you'd need a ride home. Nobody is walking five miles after eating McDonald's.

Reaction Score
I am up there with Dwayne Wade and Nadal as far as sweating in the heat (NOLA doesn't help) and looked at issues related to salt and potassium. Seems like lot of salt issues are really deficiency of potassium. FDA has put limits of 99 mg of potassium in any vitamin mixture. Seems like can have an illness that too much potassium could harm you (see kidney issues). Anyway to make long story short "Nu-Salt" salt substitute is potassium chloride and has 530mg in 1/6th tsp. Need about 4700 mg a day, hard to get in food only.
One of the issues with doctors and potassium measuring is that the test for blood isn't a good measure as only 2% of body potassium is in blood and body fills up blood 1st so unlike checking the oil in your car engine you can have blood ok with potassium and hardly any in the rest of your body.
DeLauer on YouTube

Reaction Score
If salt does give you a measurable problem with HBP, try using balsamic glaze, a low sodium, low calorie condiment. It tastes great. Is not a salt substitute, but does add zest to food.

Reaction Score
I have lost 45 lbs and cut my medication in half in the last 8 years with exercise and a healthy diet. I still enjoy steak (with salt), ice cream, cookies etc but I don't eat between meals or after dinner. I don't drink soda or alcohol and feel great. Doctor says I may be able to eliminate my medication.

Reaction Score
Hypertension is 80% calcium deficiency 15% renal conditions and 5% stress, smoking, etc... NaCl has nothing to do with it - but are desperately needed metallic minerals daily. Another big lie - believe as you wish. Best of luck - God bless.

Reaction Score
Tom is right on the walk. I started having having moderately high BP and cholesterol about 5 years ago. Only one thing fixes it and brings me to very healthy ranges, a brisk 20 minute walk 4+ times per week. Works so well it is almost hard to believe. When I fall off the wagon it goes right back up.

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leepaul

Top Bottom