Here’s why UConn men’s basketball team may look different this upcoming season | The Boneyard

Here’s why UConn men’s basketball team may look different this upcoming season

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
“Dre will be on the ball a lot,” Hurley promised. “He’ll be facilitating around an outstanding 5-man (Adama Sanogo) and three other guys who can shoot and score. It’s going to create driving lanes for him, and passing options.”

Let that debate continue.....

Alternate link:

Last edited by a moderator:

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Confirms some of what I have believed all off season "Dre will be on the ball a lot". Jackson, on the offensive end, is a facilitator. People living 20 years ago can say he's not a point guard, and that's fine. He will have the ball up top and look to attack, create or distribute. That means he won't generally be a wing on the offensive end.

Love the Al Horford comparison for Sanogo. Becoming a switchable defender who can play in space. It's the same comparison I made in the Sanogo thread. Al didn't take 3s at Florida and became a good shooter and more mobile defender. Sanogo can do that. He has the work ethic.

I don't buy the notion of Clingan playing with Sanogo. The homer CT papers are unwilling to be realistic about Clingan's defensive limitations.

Reaction Score
Confirms some of what I have believed all off season "Dre will be on the ball a lot". Jackson, on the offensive end, is a facilitator. People living 20 years ago can say he's not a point guard, and that's fine. He will have the ball up top and look to attack, create or distribute. That means he won't generally be a wing on the offensive end.

Love the Al Horford comparison for Sanogo. Becoming a switchable defender who can play in space. It's the same comparison I made in the Sanogo thread. Al didn't take 3s at Florida and became a good shooter and more mobile defender. Sanogo can do that. He has the work ethic.

I don't buy the notion of Clingan playing with Sanogo. The homer CT papers are unwilling to be realistic about Clingan's defensive limitations.
Ugh, this "people living 20 years ago" comment is just not necessary. Andre Jackson will be a facilitator, he will not be the point guard. Otherwise, agree with everything you said.

Reaction Score
Ugh, this "people living 20 years ago" comment is just not necessary. Andre Jackson will be a facilitator, he will not be the point guard. Otherwise, agree with everything you said.
I mean there were def people who argued that Dre didn't facilitate last year and would be incapable of facilitating next year. That comment is fair in response...

McLovin

Gangstas, what's up?
Reaction Score
Andre Jackson, 3 shooters and Sanogo. Pretty much what we expected since the season ended.

I’m sure Newton and Hawkins will be 2 of the 3, with the final starting spot between Alleyen, Karaban and Johnson.

My money on the opening day lineup including the senior transfer, purely based on Hurley’s tendency to play senior talent if he has it.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
says the guy who insists on playing 2 bigs at all times haha
Only when you can't play 3. But I want bigs that can shoot, switch and defend in space. Jackson is a guard. By the way, I'd worry less about a second rim protector if Hurley would stop hard hedging. Our defense puts stress on the 4 to be a rim protector. If Sanogo was sagging off it would be more feasible to play small. I think Clingan has to play that way, so we will see.

Reaction Score
Fran Costello played a point forward very effectively for a couple of Providence teams back in the early '70s. Of course that was 50 years ago, not 20

Reaction Score
Our defense puts stress on the 4 to be a rim protector. If Sanogo was sagging off it would be more feasible to play small.
i think it's safe to say that if/when Aj is playing small ball 4 hurley will not hedge the C which would otherwise leave AJ as our only rim protector. minor adjustment to make compared to hurley's apparent revamp at the offensive end

Last edited:

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
AJ will not be the primary ball handler (regardless of what DH hints to) - if he is this team has issues. He will be the vocal leader and that is going to be a must. If he can average 10/6/4 that would be great from the 3 position.
Sanogo is not Al Horford in many respects but body size. Could he become close to AH in a few years? Perhaps, but in college AH had a midrange game and could pass the ball extremely well - two things AS hasn't shown- yet. Hopefully that changes as the season starts in 4 months.
I'm betting Cingan gets more PT than most think and I'm hoping Johnson has improved - this team may need him
I feel Hawkins is the key this year. If he can play like he did in AAU he will be an offensive headache for all opponents.
I reserve comment on the newbies until I see how they handle the pressure of NBE play.
This will be an interesting year to say the least but the team has to win in the dance - no more 1st game losses.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
i think it's safe to say that if/when Aj is playing small ball 4 hurley will not hedge the C which would otherwise leave AJ as our only rim protector. minor adjustment to make compared to hurley's apparent revamp at the offensive end
Hope so. He’d pair well with Clingan at the 5 in the same way I like Johnson or Karaban (not sure on his shot blocking) with Sanogo. In any event, it’s a fun and interesting group of players and there are some options to use them creatively.

Reaction Score
Hope so. He’d pair well with Clingan at the 5 in the same way I like Johnson or Karaban (not sure on his shot blocking) with Sanogo. In any event, it’s a fun and interesting group of players and there are some options to use them creatively.
yeah i dont see karaban providing rim protection from the 4 spot either so an adjustment is integral. samson/springs would be best suited for the whaley role as we know.

Reaction Score
“Dre will be on the ball a lot,” Hurley promised. “He’ll be facilitating around an outstanding 5-man (Adama Sanogo) and three other guys who can shoot and score. It’s going to create driving lanes for him, and passing options.”

Alternate free link:
Coaches always say this stuff until the season starts. Trust me when we need to run big plays AJ will not have the ball in his hand unless he has totally transform his game which I doubt. I personally want AJ close to the basket when we play small ball since he such a good rebounder.

Reaction Score
Coaches always say this stuff until the season starts. Trust me when we need to run big plays AJ will not have the ball in his hand unless he has totally transform his game which I doubt. I personally want AJ close to the basket when we play small ball since he such a good rebounder.
Bingo! Coachspeak is so entirely predictable…

Reaction Score
AJ will not be the primary ball handler (regardless of what DH hints to) - if he is this team has issues. He will be the vocal leader and that is going to be a must. If he can average 10/6/4 that would be great from the 3 position.
Sanogo is not Al Horford in many respects but body size. Could he become close to AH in a few years? Perhaps, but in college AH had a midrange game and could pass the ball extremely well - two things AS hasn't shown- yet. Hopefully that changes as the season starts in 4 months.
I'm betting Cingan gets more PT than most think and I'm hoping Johnson has improved - this team may need him
I feel Hawkins is the key this year. If he can play like he did in AAU he will be an offensive headache for all opponents.
I reserve comment on the newbies until I see how they handle the pressure of NBE play.
This will be an interesting year to say the least but the team has to win in the dance - no more 1st game losses.
I agree Hawkins is key. He has the skills to be a go to scorer and he does look somewhat stronger than last season. Chief loves Jackson passing vision but he needs to tighten up both his dribbling and passing to prevent sloppy turnovers. He also needs to factor in the capabilities of who he is passing to. The difference between the Werth and Gampel Jackson - is in Werth guys play Andre straight up to impress coaches on their defense. In reality, game day teams will play off AJ and beg him to shoot. He will need to be able to do that,

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score

Alternate free link:
You see, Andre is The Answer.

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
Newton- primary ball handler, PG, secondary scorer
Hawkins- go to scorer playmaker
Andre- secondary ball handler, facilitator/creator
Other starter- someone who can stretch the floor (my hope is SJ can win this here)
Sanogo- post presence

That’s kind of how I see the roles playing out for this season. Andre just needs to be able to finish scoring plays and everything is gravy. Because we have more than enough scoring options to where he will have easy scoring lanes and shots to get.

If SJ is starting that’s going to be a defense that is long as hell and athletic too btw.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom