OT: - Henry Ruggs | Page 4 | The Boneyard

OT: Henry Ruggs

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Because America.

that's a weird take. Cars are built all over the world and many of them go 150+.

I was over in Europe a few weeks ago and made in to Germany just to see what it was like on the open parts of the highway system. I was doing 115 mph (187 kph on the read out) and there were plenty of German, Belgian, Danes and other drivers in BMW's, MB's, Audi's, Skodas, VW and other manufacturers ripping by me. They were easily doing 130 mph or better on a highway.

I'm not excusing doing 156 on a state or local road but to suggest the only reason cars are built to go fast and driver's drive them fast is "America" is a really naïve take.

Reaction Score
Can someone explain to me why cars are made that can reach 156mph?
So now you want us to all drive Corollas!? Cars don't kill people... guns kill people! [This was just a wise guy retort].

My son actually asked the same thing (I was pleasantly surprised that he asked that considering he'll start driving in a couple months).

Technology allows for maximum speed limits. I think they are mandatory in some European countries. The question would be what the maximum would be. I read that the highest speed limit currently in the US is 85. Do you cap at 100? 125? I think the limiters can be removed or changed by computer so if you want to take your car on a track that would be a possibility.

I'm not sure which side I'd be on for this question, but it's a legit question. If Ruggs car could only go 125, and he got it down to 100 before impact, are the woman and her dog alive? It would still allow for the amazing acceleration of a super- car, but stop you from breaking the sound barrier. Hmmm.

Reaction Score
that's a weird take. Cars are built all over the world and many of them go 150+.

I was over in Europe a few weeks ago and made in to Germany just to see what it was like on the open parts of the highway system. I was doing 115 mph (187 kph on the read out) and there were plenty of German, Belgian, Danes and other drivers in BMW's, MB's, Audi's, Skodas, VW and other manufacturers ripping by me. They were easily doing 130 mph or better on a highway.

I'm not excusing doing 156 on a state or local road but to suggest the only reason cars are built to go fast and driver's drive them fast is "America" is a really naïve take.
I am aware of the things you describe. I lived in Germany and did an internship at Daimler.

I am simply saying that, in the event that someone in this country tries to limit the top speeds of cars, the reason for people's opposition will be "America." There would be vehement opposition in Germany, too. Their reason would be "Fahrspaß" or "Freiheit", though.

Reaction Score

2x over the limit?

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
2x over the limit?

Not sure if you are referencing Ruggs being 2x the legal limit to drive, him driving, 3x - 4x speed limit or my story.

No excuse for him to drive that drunk. This isn't a .05-.08 where you might think you're okay; you're way over any reasonable ability to drive. His speed was equally stupid.

As for me, it was the unlimited part of the highways. Stay on the right, pass on the left and always check your mirrors.

dennismenace

ONE MORE CAST
Reaction Score
Why is that a necessary part of humanity at all? And why is it the HARDEST part? That's a bold claim to make without any sort of rationale. I mean there's about 99% of philosophers that study ethics that would disagree with you to some extent or another.

You're operating under a totally different moral paradigm than @Woof 101 is... he's saying that they don't deserve that compassion to begin with... so I'm not sure your argument makes much sense from a structural standpoint.
I think perhaps he is talking about empathy from the standpoint of putting yourself in the place of the perpetrator. Many people have done some incredibly dangerous things to others without thinking and lived to deeply regret it. That is grief (sorrow) for the mistake(s) one has made. I can appreciate sympathy for someone who has committed a serious crime but a just system of law necessitates punishment as deterrent for crimes. Philosophy and ethics are based on some kind of standards of truth. An intellectual yardstick perhaps. Empathy doesn't have to negate justice in order to consider the plight of someone who suddenly will have to deal with a just punishment under law. That's just recognizing that the perpetrator is still a human being who will have to face himself and and his actions and pay the price under law and live with the loss of this young lady's life for the rest of his life. The word compassion comes from the Latin: "com passio" (to suffer with). I don't think any of us would want to be in his shoes today. By imagining yourself in his place it might inspire all of us to reconsider how one operates a motor vehicle and how easy it is to make a mistake that can cost lives even driving the speed limit. We all make mistakes. Yes, this was egregious and thoughtless. He failed to think. It was thoughtless of him and he was inebriated.
When an older child pushes a younger sibling down we correct them for doing something wrong. We explain that the younger sibling could get very seriously hurt by banging his/her head on a fireplace or coffee table. We want to impress upon them the consequences of what their actions would be and how sorry they would be if they hurt their younger sibling.

Reaction Score
My heart goes out to the women and her family of course.

There is no excuse. I don't know the character of Ruggs, but it doesn't matter.
Especially in the day of Uber, a man making millions, has no excuse to first getting in the car in his condition. The man is 22 years old. He knows better. He should be in jail for a long time. I understand people don't think straight when drunk, but then again, don't get yourself in to that situation.

Reaction Score
My heart goes out to the women and her family of course.

There is no excuse. I don't know the character of Ruggs, but it doesn't matter.
Especially in the day of Uber, a man making millions, has no excuse to first getting in the car in his condition. The man is 22 years old. He knows better. He should be in jail for a long time. I understand people don't think straight when drunk, but then again, don't get yourself in to that situation.
Kids, entitled kids, entitled kids with a ton of money all make mistakes. I don't know Ruggs, obviously, so I don't believe this necessarily means he is a bad person. He made a terrible mistake. I do agree that this mistake is inexcuseable and he needs to pay the full price.

Reaction Score
Can someone explain to me why cars are made that can reach 156mph?
Simple one here and no attack, but because people are going to buy it. No different than Ferrari, Porsche, Lamborghini etc. If there's a market they will sell it.
Could put Audi and BMW and others to the mix. Same goes for Ford and Dodge, muscle helps sell the brand.
The car did not create this tragedy, the person behind the wheel did so. Sad but true .... :(

Reaction Score
Not sure if you are referencing Ruggs being 2x the legal limit to drive, him driving, 3x - 4x speed limit or my story.

No excuse for him to drive that drunk. This isn't a .05-.08 where you might think you're okay; you're way over any reasonable ability to drive. His speed was equally stupid.

As for me, it was the unlimited part of the highways. Stay on the right, pass on the left and always check your mirrors.

Was just wondering if you were 2x over the lager limit. ;^)

Reaction Score
The additional video of him driving insanely fast (which has been taken down already) shows this was not a one time mistake or bad decision.
No matter, for some will think the punishment is too light and some will think it is too harsh.

In the end, what counts is a woman's life was needlessly cut short.

Reaction Score
Simple one here and no attack, but because people are going to buy it. No different than Ferrari, Porsche, Lamborghini etc. If there's a market they will sell it.
Could put Audi and BMW and others to the mix. Same goes for Ford and Dodge, muscle helps sell the brand.
The car did not create this tragedy, the person behind the wheel did so. Sad but true .... :(
So legalize heroin because people will buy it?

Reaction Score
I am aware of the things you describe. I lived in Germany and did an internship at Daimler.

I am simply saying that, in the event that someone in this country tries to limit the top speeds of cars, the reason for people's opposition will be "America." There would be vehement opposition in Germany, too. Their reason would be "Fahrspaß" or "Freiheit", though.
the reality is that speed in and of itself isn't an issue. it's all time/place. 150mph on the autobahn is nothing. there are plenty of highways in the US that could have speed limits of 100mph and it wouldn't cause any more issues. It's distracted driving, drunk driving, speeding on residential roads, weaving through traffic, etc. that is the actual problem.

Reaction Score
Irrelevant to the tragedy, but it was a nice touch for him to have a loaded gun in the car. Seems like a real high-character guy.

Also: he killed the woman's dog, too.
Best of the P5.

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
Raiders FO is apparently a really good judge of character

Reaction Score
He is pleading guilty. Good - people that do stuff like that need to do time.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom